What is going on with the weather??

2 days later we all had on pants and sweatshirts.

So Cal weather is bipolar during the winter months.

Reminds me of our last DisneyWorld trip in mid November years ago. First half of trip was as expected and felt downright tropical. Then a cold front came through and we had to go buy jackets and knit hats for everyone to wear the rest of the week.

I was there yesterday solo and it was a scorcher to be sure. Thing is, while the humidity is high for SoCal, if you are used to Mid-Atlantic humidity you will be surprised. It’ll still be hot hot hot, but it just hits different. We just relocated from Toronto to San Diego and people are freaking out here that it is in the 80’s. The day we left in August it was 96 and high humidity - if you walked outside you would instantly need a shower type of weather. But I digress…

On these hot days definitely try and get there early and take that mid-day break. I arrived at 10 yesterday and hopped on Pirates with a 30-min wait. By the time I exited that number had increased substantially. I ended up riding the Columbia and then doing some shopping/chilling in the Grand Californian lobby to cool off. Ride times weren’t bad over at DCA around 2:00 but people were starting to get miserable. I did notice the garage felt very empty when I left around 4. Since you are onsite I would definitely try and avoid the parks from 1-4/5 if you can.

Genie+ I think is necessary in high heat because it decreases your time in outdoor queues.

That said, cooling towels, water bottles for all (remember you can ask for ice water at restaurants, I refilled mine 6 times in the few hours I was there yesterday), and those misty fans they sell are worth every penny, especially when filled with the aforementioned ice water.

Nice thing is as the sun sets it can get really pleasant. One of my boys asked for a sweatshirt a couple weeks ago when we were waiting for the electrical parade and you should have seen the look I gave him. ;)

I'm imagining some poor traveler coming to SoCal with some sweaters and jeans and encountering this weather, lol. It's like when people come to San Francisco in July in shorts and sunglasses and get slammed with 55 degrees & fog ::flower1:

Karl really does like to take people by surprise 😂. I had to explain to a New Yorker recently that she was going to need her puffy coat. But also to bring shorts.

Going to be 111 this weekend in my part of the Bay 😬. Whole state is having a huge heat wave this week. Except for SF. SF is its own climate pocket that seems untouched most of the time lol.

Always telling people to bring layers no matter where one goes in the state. It's so different even day to day in the same area. I still remember getting caught in a downpour in a July in Anaheim that was not in the forecast at all. Can't trust the weather in the state until it happens.

As others have said, the hottest temperatures of the year in CA are often in September/October. I'm from the Bay Area, and i can't tell you how many Halloween parades i went to when my kids were young that were unbearably hot.

I did one of the last RunDisney races in Anaheim a few years back in September and there was a red flag warning--the hottest RunDisney race ever. The parking lot at the end was torture.

My biggest suggestion aside from bringing a water bottle is a solar umbrella. You can pick one up on Amazon, and they are great--really help.

I did one of the last RunDisney races in Anaheim a few years back in September and there was a red flag warning--the hottest RunDisney race ever. The parking lot at the end was torture.

My biggest suggestion aside from bringing a water bottle is a solar umbrella. You can pick one up on Amazon, and they are great--really help.
2017.... My kids ran that race too, total torture. They cut the course at Angel Stadium just after my kids finished. They went right from the race to the pool. 90 degrees at 6am.

1661984314797.png1661984610075.png

We seem to bring the hot weather wherever we vacation. We did our first river cruise in the south of France, the last two weeks in July, during the record heat wave there. We'd already rescheduled it twice due to Covid, so we were like, "Welp, do or die!" What saved me, a short plump, always sweaty, menopausal woman was a ChillyPad towel, a solar umbrella, and a neck fan. Did I look like a ridiculous American tourist? Yes. Yes, I did. Did I get heat exhaustion? Nope, but hubby did.

A co-worker who heard me lamenting about the forecast heat handed me the neck fan and said, "Here, try this." It's by AmaCool, it's rechargeable with a USB cord, the charge generally lasted for 5 or so hours. Other people on the tours would come up to me and say, "Where did you get that? I thought it looked odd, but now I wish I had one."

The family vacation to Disneyland in Sept of 2019 was a scorcher.

2017.... My kids ran that race too, total torture. They cut the course at Angel Stadium just after my kids finished. They went right from the race to the pool. 90 degrees at 6am.

View attachment 698665View attachment 698668
Love the pics! I miss Anaheim races and that course in particular. Going through the stadium was amazing!!! We were in a back corral and slow so we ended late--absolutely misery. We went right to Catal for celebratory drinks, LOL.

Guys, I drove up to Orange today for an errand. It was 101. Disneyland is just a few miles further north.

This heat is already worse than they predicted for today. This weekend is going to be dangerously hot. Please reconsider being outdoors at all between 10 and 2pm. Be safe everyone!
I mean it’s 97 degrees at my house in San Clemente at 5pm. This heat is no joke!

Guys, I drove up to Orange today for an errand. It was 101. Disneyland is just a few miles further north.

This heat is already worse than they predicted for today. This weekend is going to be dangerously hot. Please reconsider being outdoors at all between 10 and 2pm. Be safe everyone!

I saw 105 at Disneyland now on Sunday and 103 on Monday.

It got to be 92 degrees at my house in San Diego today. I can count on one hand how many times it’s gotten above 90 that I remember. I’m actually going to go out tonight and water my trees that I never water.

Our realtor here in San Clemente is a native, and she doesn’t think it’s ever been this hot here before.

Our realtor here in San Clemente is a native, and she doesn’t think it’s ever been this hot here before.
I grew up in that area and I don’t ever remember it being that hot. We moved to Riverside in high school and I remember it feeling like we moved to the surface of the the sun compared to San Clemente and Laguna where I grew up. 🤣

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter