What is Costco booking incentive?

sammatt

Mouseketeer
Does Costco give you a gift card, discount, or anything else for booking through them? I'm highly considering an ABD trip, but may need to factor in some "perks" to convince my hubby. :laughing:

We were advised when booking that we would receive a $1000 Costco card about six weeks after we returned from our trip. The amount of the card is based upon the expense of the trip for your family...

ABD appears to have a "Costco" line for the trips - and although only some of the trips were "featured" in the Costco notice, we were told the Costco card was available for all of the trips. While it doesn't give you a discount or help pay for the trip, it is an indirect rebate that certainly cushions the charges. When you call the ABD folks, call on the Costco line and ask! You still get the ABD folks who are most helpful - they just note you called on a different number. MAKE SURE that if you are reserving you call on this line and make sure that they note this in your reservation. Enjoy.

you can find the phone # on the costco website, under the travel section

for 3 people on the southwest splendors trip, the rebate card will be $300

We booked through Costco and were promised a $400 rebate card after our return from Quest for the West this upcoming August, 09. That is based on a trip for 4 people. As mentioned above, the rebate amount does depend on the cost of the trip.

Make sure you also ask for any other possible discouts -- i.e. loyalty discount if you have previously travelled with ABD. Every little bit helps.

Turtlemom :santa:

:cool1: I booked Costa Rica April 2009 through Cosaco travel. First there is a $50.00 membership fee.Cash card rebate depends on the price of your trip . About 6 weeks after the trip you should receive your cash card. My AAA agent asked me if she could take over my reservation and offered me a $300.00 check for cash to use on my adventure. Needless to say I jumped at the offer and have it in writing.

:cool1: I booked Costa Rica April 2009 through Cosaco travel. First there is a $50.00 membership fee.Cash card rebate depends on the price of your trip . About 6 weeks after the trip you should receive your cash card. My AAA agent asked me if she could take over my reservation and offered me a $300.00 check for cash to use on my adventure. Needless to say I jumped at the offer and have it in writing.

Most reputable travel agencies that specialize in Disney will match the gift card from Costco for the ABD's if asked

Most reputable travel agencies that specialize in Disney will match the gift card from Costco for the ABD's if asked

Well... yes and no.

One thing to keep in mind is that many "reputable agencies" have employees or outside agents who only get a percentage of the total commission. If you have a $6000.00 AbD trip, for example, the commission in 2008 was 11% at most and for many agencies was 10%. That's a maximum of $660.00. Many agents split that commission right down the middle with their agency. For the sake of argument, let's say that the host agency is very generous and the agent keeps 70% of that commission. (This is highly unusual, by the way.) The agent's share is now down to $462.00. Then there are income taxes on that commission, which in some cases (especially for two-income households) is over 40%. Again, being generous with the numbers, taking out only 30% in taxes brings this to $323.40. Now add in postage, office expenses, 800-number service, advertising and too many other things to list here, and you can see that matching Costco's gift card would have many of the "reputable agencies" working for nothing.

Even if you look at an agency that retains 100% of the commission, you can see that after taxes it doesn't leave much to offer by way of matching. Don't assume that if your agent can't match Costco that it's for lack of wanting to keep you as their client. It's sometimes just not feasible.

Dotti

Well... yes and no.

One thing to keep in mind is that many "reputable agencies" have employees or outside agents who only get a percentage of the total commission. If you have a $6000.00 AbD trip, for example, the commission in 2008 was 11% at most and for many agencies was 10%. That's a maximum of $660.00. Many agents split that commission right down the middle with their agency. For the sake of argument, let's say that the host agency is very generous and the agent keeps 70% of that commission. (This is highly unusual, by the way.) The agent's share is now down to $462.00. Then there are income taxes on that commission, which in some cases (especially for two-income households) is over 40%. Again, being generous with the numbers, taking out only 30% in taxes brings this to $323.40. Now add in postage, office expenses, 800-number service, advertising and too many other things to list here, and you can see that matching Costco's gift card would have many of the "reputable agencies" working for nothing.

Even if you look at an agency that retains 100% of the commission, you can see that after taxes it doesn't leave much to offer by way of matching. Don't assume that if your agent can't match Costco that it's for lack of wanting to keep you as their client. It's sometimes just not feasible.

Dotti

I totally agree with what Dotti said here. Sometimes we can match it and sometimes not
It doesn't have anything to do with not wanting to.

Jo

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter