What inspired your children's names?

Interesting question.

My husband's family has a tradition for names. Everyone has 2 middle names, and the first name has 3 syllables, the second has 2, and the third has one.
My family is Jewish so our tradition is that the first name should have a Hebrew origin and also that it is bad luck to name a child after someone who is alive but good luck to name one after someone who has passed away. To be more specific, it is an Ashkenazi Jewish tradition to name a child after someone who has passed away, Sephardic Jews actually do the opposite, name a child after someone who is alive.

DH and I kept the 2 middle names, ditched the syllable thing, picked a first name that had a Hebrew origin, and used my maternal grandfather's name as a second one and DH's maternal grandfather's name as the 3rd.

Additionally, both DH and I have very classic sounding names so we picked one that went well with ours. No odd spellings here!

Honestly, I just liked the sound of the traffic and weather lady’s name when I would hear her on the radio on my way to work in the morning. 😂 Plus she sounded SO friendly. I went back to my husband and asked him if he liked the name. He did and that’s what we went with.
For my twins, we had to have different combinations ready. We knew we were having fraternal twins but that was it. We had boy/girl twins and their names were just ones that we liked from a baby name book with the exception of my son’s middle name. We used my husband’s first name for that. Had they been twins boys, the grandfathers’ first names would have been used as middle names.

Pretty much family names, normal, with traditional spelling, formal names but 3 go by common nicknames. ETA all would fit in very well as a queen, king, prince or princess of England. Solid names.

Wine, a skier, 2Fast2Furious. We have a very long german last name so their names had to be short and sweet.

DS has the first name of a character in a book that DH and I had both read. - No special reason other than we both liked the sound of it with our last name. His middle name is my brother's name.

Their first names were just names we liked and they each have a middle name of their grandfather/grandmother.

It fit the criteria I had. Not named after anyone, not easily shortened into a nickname, and not too uncommon or common (it’s now one of the most popular boys names but wasn’t when I picked the name 20 years ago )

One was just a name I liked for a long time and one was named after a main character from I musical I saw when I was pregnant.

First child my wife chose. First was random and the middle was her mothers name.
Second child I chose. First name had no connection other then I liked the name and her middle name was after my sister.

Only had two girls so the chosen name for a boy was never used. This was before the days of ultra-sounds, but my grandson's name came pretty close.

It fit the criteria I had. Not named after anyone, not easily shortened into a nickname, and not too uncommon or common (it’s now one of the most popular boys names but wasn’t when I picked the name 20 years ago )
We made that effort to not have a shortenable name. One was a three letter name and the second was a five letter name and both got shortened all the time, even by me.

First was just a pretty name I've liked forever. Middle name is her grandmother's name.

Second has her dead grandmother's name and then a random common middle name that sounded good with it.

My older son was named for my maternal grandfather, the biggest male influence in my life and what I had known my first son would be named since I was 15. The middle name was picked by my wife and she chose the name of my grandfather's brother. My second son is named after my wife's maternal grandfather, just because we liked the name, and the middle name of her father, although spelled differently.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter