What impact does princess half marathon have on parks?

disprincess2213

DIS Veteran
I know nothing about this event but I know it's super popular! Can anyone tell me a brief description of what it is, where its held, and what impacts it may or may not have on parks? Thanks everyone!

The half marathon is run on Sunday morning. I think the "holiday day", President Day plus the week that many have off has a higher impact. I would suggest going after the race. I have run this every year and it is best for me to stay after the race and do parks. The parks are still pretty busy on Sunday.
There is an impact with traffic especially around Epcot on Friday through Sunday as that is where all the races start and finish. Additionally on Sunday, there are traffic flow issues to the MK as the half used that route.
That's my opinion...other may feel differently. Hope other can help out as well.
The event is large, too large in my opinion. It started out with about 7000 runners the first year and now has about 22.000 just in the half. There is also a 5k run on Friday and 10k on Saturday. Check out the runDisney web site. For me it has been fun and goes fast as there is entertainment and character stops for photos. That said...I start in an early corral and the course is pretty clear. For other you will hear how crowded the course is and long lines for photo ops.

the primary effects are Sunday morning for traffic getting to MK and Epcot. Since the race starts at 5;30 on Epcot Center Drive, that road is closed until 6:30 or 7:00, and then the course goes to and from MK, so there are some lane closures heading in that direction. It finsishes at Epcot, so again lane closures trying to get into Epcot in the AM. If you plan for an AK park day on Sunday, you will be in pretty good shape, though buses from your resort to the parks may be a little slower than usual. There is really no impact on Friday for the 5K or Saturday for the 10K, other than some minor early road closures around Epcot.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter