what I'm fixing for a "fall wedding shower"

yummy72

DIS Veteran
Tomorrow nite some friends and I are giving a "personal shower and bachelorette party" for a great friend from college. We decided on a Halloween theme, very casual. Since I am the only one in the group that can cook, I of course was assigned the task of food. Thought I would share what we are having...If anyone would like any recipes, I will be happy to post them.

Caramel Apple Dip with apples (this one is a no-brainer...it's heated caramel sauce poured on a platter, topped with nuts, served with sliced apples layered around it)

Brie with apricot preserves, blue cheese and walnuts-served with crackers

Dried Cranberry snack mix (a different take on a trail or chex mix...has nuts and pretzel nuggets along with the dried cranberries)

Sausage pizzas (I don't know why I call these pizzas, but they are pork sausage and velveeta baked and served on those little cocktail rye bread slices

Layered Mexican dip w/ torilla chips--Guacamole is that top layer, then I am squirting the sour cream on top to look like a spider web

And of course a cake from a wonderful french bakery here in town.

Take Care everyone and have a great weekend!

sounds great yummy!! how many layers do you put in your mexican dip and what are the layers? A friend of mine uses ground beef with taco mix instead of refried beans, and I was wondering if anyone else did.

The food sounds good! Have a great party.

I'm wondering, is the brie baked? Can you post some recipes too? I would like to see the one for the sausage pizza. Thanks. :D

Sorry it took so long for me to get around to posting the recipes...We had a very long weekend, and this is the first computer time I've had!

The layered dip was VERY easy. I make a variety of layered dips with different ingredients, but since I needed the shower recipes to be easy to assemble at the last minute I went with these:

Mexican Dip

1 8oz bar cream cheese softened
1 jar 8 oz prepared salsa
1 small carton prepared guacamole
1 small carton sour cream

Blend salsa and cream cheese in mixer until smooth. Spread onto platter. Smooth guacamole over top. Place sour cream in a small resealable plastic bag. Cut off tiny corner of bag and pipe sour cream into a spiral shape over guacamole. Run tip of knife through sour cream to make "spider web" design. Serve with tortilla chips.

Sausage Pizzas

1 regular size package pork sausage (hot or mild your choice)
1 1 lb. package Velveeta cheese
1 package cocktail rye bread (I usually find this in the deli section of my grocery store)

Cook sausage in skillet until crumbled and brown. Drain. Add velveeta and stir until melted. spoon about a tablespoon onto each slice of rye bread. FREEZE on cookie sheets then toss in a ziploc bag. Bake FROM FROZEN 15 minutes at 450 degrees. These are great for parties or brunches or breakfast.

Brie

1 8 oz round Brie cheese
About 5 Tablespoons crumbled blue cheese
About 4 tablespoons coarsely chopped walnuts
3 tablespoons apricot preserves divided

Preheat oven to 400. Cut brie horizontally into halves. Combine blue cheese and walnuts. Spread half of apricot preserves onto cut side of one half of the Brie. Sprinkle with half of the blue cheese-walnut mixture. Place remaining half of Brie sheeseon top, spread with remaining apricot preserves.
Wrap sides of Brie with strip of foil (to keep the preserves/blue cheese from leaking out during baking) Sprinkle remaining blue cheese-walnut mixture on top.

Bake on baking sheet 7 to 9 minutes or until soft and beginning to melt. Serve immediately with crackers.

Note: The shower was a huge success! Very casual with halloween plates/napkins and there was not a bite of food left!

Thanks for posting these recipes.

Glad the party was a big success!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter