What if EuroDisney was built in Germany instead of France?

Elijah Abrams

Mouseketeer
If the EuroDisney Resort (now called the Disneyland Paris Resort) was built in Germany instead of France, would it have been more successful, because of popularity of Disney characters in Germany at the time?

Was Disney that much more popular in Germany than in other European countries in the mid-80s? If it was anywhere in Europe more popular, than I would have guessed the UK.

I don't think it would have been more successful. There would probably have been similar problems. The American designers didn't always understand French culture, I imagina similar problems for Germany. And then there is the cultural history of the second world war, Germany vs. (American) allies.
Also here was the competition from Germany's themepark Europapark.

I don't know about Germany but it should have been built in Spain. It was very close to being there before Eisner decided it needed to be near Paris.

I don't know about Germany but it should have been built in Spain. It was very close to being there before Eisner decided it needed to be near Paris.
The weather (Mistral winds) was an issue with the locations in Spain, and they were nature areas.
The area near Toulon, France was a problem due to the rocky ground.

It's not an uncommon question when it comes to Disneyland Paris. The selection started with 1,200 sites in Europe, and then in the end the shortlist was 2 sites in France, and 2 in Spain.

It's a similar question like 'what if Disney World was build in Texas'. Do we know if Walt Disney had considered other places besides Florida?

The weather (Mistral winds) was an issue with the locations in Spain, and they were nature areas.
The area near Toulon, France was a problem due to the rocky ground.

It's not an uncommon question when it comes to Disneyland Paris. The selection started with 1,200 sites in Europe, and then in the end the shortlist was 2 sites in France, and 2 in Spain.

It's a similar question like 'what if Disney World was build in Texas'. Do we know if Walt Disney had considered other places besides Florida?

We do. St. Louis, outside DC, and Niagara Falls at different times but I don't believe any would have had the amount of land he got in FL. Even in the 60s there were not a lot of places that he could have gotten that much land that cheaply.

If the EuroDisney Resort (now called the Disneyland Paris Resort) was built in Germany instead of France, would it have been more successful, because of popularity of Disney characters in Germany at the time?
I have no idea about your question, but just letting you know of the Rumors and News forum here on the dis. For sure, you can post anything you want here on the community board, all questions and discussions (within guidelines) are fine, but there are always a lot of 'what if' questions like this on that forum. You might get better traction there for questions like this and previous 'what if' type questions. Just a thought.

Speaking as a UK visitor I'm really pleased it's where it is. I live near London and can get a non- stop train to DLP from London. The Disney railway station is right next door to the parks and is within walking distance of the hotels.

Disneyland Paris was, apparently, penciled in to be built on the Spanish coast, in the gorgeous climate where land was cheaper. Not sure why that deal fell through - maybe the French Government offered Disney more tax breaks?

Disneyland Paris was, apparently, penciled in to be built on the Spanish coast, in the gorgeous climate where land was cheaper. Not sure why that deal fell through - maybe the French Government offered Disney more tax breaks?
Mistral winds and endangered nature.

in addition, Paris is better reachable being in central Europe.

Aha! Imagine if Disney built a mini EuroDisney inside Epcot.

Genius has no off switch!

Mistral winds and endangered nature.

in addition, Paris is better reachable being in central Europe.
But capitalising on a sister park, Port Aventura, would make sense? Besides, the difference between flying to Spain and France is about an hour in the air :)

I remember going to Disneyland Paris once, and whilst it was a magical experience, it was BITTERLY cold :(

But capitalising on a sister park, Port Aventura, would make sense? Besides, the difference between flying to Spain and France is about an hour in the air :)

I remember going to Disneyland Paris once, and whilst it was a magical experience, it was BITTERLY cold :(
Aren't you from the UK? You should be used to bitter weather ;) Portaventura is next to Barcelona. The best option in Spain was near Alicante.

You forget the park was planned in the 80s. Flying wasn't as accessible as it is today. Most people vacationed by car.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter