What if? 6 passengers test positive on RCL ship

ljm23

DIS Veteran
This article came out today. 6 passengers 4 vaccinated, 2 not vaccinated tested positive. They were quarantined and had to exit the ship in Freeport. "They will separately travel home "via private transportation," Royal Caribbean said. " Does this mean they had to pay for private transportation home to the states?? https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/cruise-ship-covid-cases-royal-caribbean/index.html That could cost a pretty penny right?

I saw a resort pop up on my feed today offering free "14-day quarantine insurance" with stays.

This article came out today. 6 passengers 4 vaccinated, 2 not vaccinated tested positive. They were quarantined and had to exit the ship in Freeport. "They will separately travel home "via private transportation," Royal Caribbean said. " Does this mean they had to pay for private transportation home to the states?? https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/cruise-ship-covid-cases-royal-caribbean/index.html That could cost a pretty penny right?
This is why many cruise lines require insurance for un-vaccinated, and highly encourage everyone to have it

Royal Caribbean's policy is pretty generous on this front. Vaccinated guests and kids younger than 12 who test positive receive a pro-rated refund of their (and their travel party's) cruise fare, and Royal Caribbean covers the cost of any stabilizing treatment and getting them and their travel party home (including any mandatory quarantine).

For unvaccinated guests 12 or older the mandatory travel insurance should cover the costs.

Last edited:
Wow, that is generous. We don't know what the DCL policy is huh? I'm past my PIF so I can't add insurance. Definitely considering pushing it out. So bummed

I thought the policy had been relaxed to allow the addition of the insurance, even after PIF date.

Wow, that is generous. We don't know what the DCL policy is huh? I'm past my PIF so I can't add insurance. Definitely considering pushing it out. So bummed

I can't find it right now, but I thought I had read DCL relaxed the requirement to buy insurance before PIF, and allows that purchase up until maybe 2 weeks prior to sailing. I'll keep looking for that. But anyway, you can always purchase third party travel insurance, even up until the day prior to departure. It is often less expensive than DCL's coverage, but you'll want to make sure it has adequate coverage for COVID.

I thought the policy had been relaxed to allow the addition of the insurance, even after PIF date.

Only for Dream at the current time. I just talked with them over the past 2 days about possibly adding it.

I am going 3rd party though for insurance.

You can get other insurance. Check Trawick. It's been recommended by travelers to Costa Rica. It covers your stay if you are quarantined in another country. Not sure what else it covers. (The insurance had been required by CR but they have since changed that so I haven't looked into the insurance myself yet.)

You can get other insurance. Check Trawick. It's been recommended by travelers to Costa Rica. It covers your stay if you are quarantined in another country. Not sure what else it covers. (The insurance had been required by CR but they have since changed that so I haven't looked into the insurance myself yet.)

After this I decided to just get the extra insurance. I have tons of other insurance but honestly I would prefer to just get something specific for COVID travel to avoid any arguing that my health insurance, umbrella insurance, credit card, and others might pull.

For $200 I think its worth it for peace of mind.

I went through www.squaremouth.com like I did for our first cruise but instead of IMG I went with Trawick because the coverage was slightly better. Covers COVID and Hurricane. I suspect they have a slightly less expensive option but figured if I am getting it might as well cover everything.

Also it seems like COVID insurance is based on your state. I suspect they increase or decrease rates based on your state outlook for positive tests or something.

The part that I noted was they also disembarked travel parties as well, which is good because you don't want to break up families. But how did they define traveling parties, what about a scenario with extended family in connecting rooms? What if your party is over 3 rooms but not same or connecting rooms?

I wonder about being caught up in a "close contact" net for quarantine, how many people were affected by that part?

Overall good or at least necessary policies, just trying to understand how they actually worked when applied.

Last edited:
The part that I noted was they also disembarked travel parties as well, which is good because you don't want to break up families. But how did they define traveling parties, what about a scenario with extended family in connecting rooms? What if your party is over 3 rooms but not same or connecting rooms?

I wonder about being caught up in a "close contact" net for quarantine, how many people were affected by that part?

Overall good or at least necessary policies, just trying to understand how they actually worked when applied.

This is a guess. I suspect they apply it to everyone attached to your reservation. So if you link 10 rooms then all 10 rooms are asked to disembark unfortunately.

I wouldn't really see another way of doing it because you have to assume a group linking their reservations are close enough to have been in the same room maskless for prolonged periods. Additionally they likely had the same dining table as well without masks and no distancing.

Yup. I don't think RC paid for it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter