What I would do/not do next cruise

I would definitely go to Palo Brunch again. I love Palo Brunch. I understand its not for everyone, and it often takes longer than I really want it to. But I often dream of being at Palo Brunch... then I wake and check my cruise countdown to see how many more days...

WooHoo - my 10th post.
I'm here often, I just don't often share.

I would definitely go to Palo Brunch again. I love Palo Brunch. I understand its not for everyone, and it often takes longer than I really want it to.

We've done Palo Brunch twice on the Magic. I like it and would do it again, but DW has no desire to return for brunch or dinner, and Remy is even of less interest to her.

Yay for this thread. We are first time cruisers and trying to get a group together (friends/family) and this has been an incredibly helpful thread!!

We have no idea quite yet when we are going, but it's looking like off-season Carribean, 5-night.

Anyone have suggestions on best off-season week to choose? I'm so overwhelmed with everything right now! lol I'm assuming that the tips and info are pretty general no matter which ship you're on (like Deck 4)?

Headscratchers:

• Gift Cards - to pay for the cruise and to use on board. I get the "why" (Kroger points...all over that!)...but the "how" is stumping me. You can use the GC's to make payments on your cruise? How are they used onship? Put them towards OBC?
  • Bringing foaming soap...why?
  • Gifts for servers/cabin attendants....still a good idea or does tipping cover it?
  • Waterproof lanyards....best places to get those and what do you keep in them?
  • Arriving early to board/get free upgrade. Are the free upgrades only available to early arrivers? If you ask for it, will you be charged or will they always give them free on embarkation day? If you get a later time to arrive, but you arrive early, can you get onboard early? We'll have lots of kids with us, so trying to avoid lots of down time where possible.
  • Is there a first-timer primer? lol

Thank you ALL for your tips/tricks!!
We didn't do GC. But I understand you can put them towards OBC.
We didn't bring foaming soap. Ship soap was fine with us.
We just tip money.
Upgrades aren't free at the port, just generally cheaper than normal.
We have arrived early on our prior cruises and boarded earlier than our PAT. Not saying this is standard, but it applied to us.

will NOT attempt playing ping pong while at sea....wind blows ball all over. We laughed A LOT but chased the ball A WHOLE LOT MORE!!!

As for some previous posts: TA not needed. You can do it yourself. If I can do it, believe me, you can.

Gifts for CM: we gifted candies for the photo mat. The trick was to get them as close to the ship as possible and not let them melt. The other people are tipped out. They aren't my friends, facebook pals, buddies, whatever. IF they are nice and do an outstanding job, there will be extra $$. I reserve gifts for family and friends (THAT oughta stir the pot!!!)

Getting there early for upgrades: Good idea BUT it is my vacation. I'm not rushing to get to port on a far-fetched "maybe" and possible/probably subject the family and kids to a boring wait at the port. Why torture yourself when a vacation should be about fun and relaxing? IF an upgrade occurs, its pixie dust. If not, I'm staying in the cabin I chose in the first place. All you type A personalities, have at it and have fun. You can have my upgrade.

WOULD DO: and I don't think this is mentioned here enough, the Mickey 200 vegetable race. FUN FUN FUN....kids love it! I assume they are still doing it, I haven't check any recent Navigators. If they're not doing it anymore, I will quietly mourn while on ship.

Gift Cards - to pay for the cruise and to use on board. I get the "why" (Kroger points...all over that!)...but the "how" is stumping me. You can use the GC's to make payments on your cruise? How are they used onship? Put them towards OBC?
We ask for giftcards for birthdays and Christmas rather than *stuff*...on embarkation day we take them to Guest Services and put them on the room so that they are there for onboard credits. :)
And...duh....do you book with a travel agent or do it yourself?

I have started talking with a friend that works with Cupcake Castles Travel and they are supposed to be Disney experts. Am I wasting my time?

I read on mousesavers.com about the OBC and the travel co they recommend can get a bunch of extras (it seems) for you. Does anyone have any experience with that?

pirate:
I use a Travel Agent. I've taken 2 cruises with Disney and still feel like there is a ton that I don't know - my TA is a DCL expert, so I like having someone that I trust available to answer my questions. She's pretty quick with getting back to me, so it's nice. And BONUS - I do get an onboard credit for booking through her agency. :)

For our 15th Anniversary, my husband and I sailed on the Wonder for the Alaska Cruise. With that context in mind, here are my would and would nots :)

Would not do again:
*Bring a cup for the drink station. I just didn't use it enough. The cups provided were enough for me.
*Bring so many clothes. I say that...but I know I will make that mistake again. In my defense, being Alaska the weather was just unpredictable and I wanted to be prepared.
*Eat so stinkin' much! Yeah...who am I kidding, right?

Would Do again:
*Family Karaoke. Had fun and next time I'll sign up for more songs.
*Fish Extender Exchange. I had a blast with this and made so many new friends that I never would have had it not been for my FE group. I do not regret this one bit!
*Palo. We did not book this, but thanks to the FE group we met an amazing couple that paid our way to a Palo dinner. The meal was amazing and I am willing to pay for it myself next time! :) I think I will try brunch though, instead of dinner.
*Use a travel agent. I had made an amazing friend in mine and she was so helpful. I still don't know enough about cruising to trust myself to book a trip. I will make use of her knowledge to get me good rates and book the best room.
*2nd seating for dinner. I read a lot of reviews on why not to do this, especially being from the east coast, but I actually enjoyed the 2nd seating. Fewer kids and I never felt rushed for dinner.

Wish I had done:
Taken more pictures and video. Spent time talking to more cast members. Utilized the workout facilities. More character meets. Brought something for character signatures. Gotten a verandah...or I should say, "wish I could have afforded a verandah." All we could afford was an inside room and it was actually fine. We were never in our room, but I know I would have been in our room more often on this cruise had we been able to pay for a verandah room. Gotten room service at least once.

All in all, I have no regrets. We had the best week and I can't wait to cruise again!!

I've just booked my second cruise. My first was on the Fantasy in Oct 12 next is Alaska on the Wonder in Aug 16.

Will do again:
Relax
Chat with CMs
Go to Palo brunch
Bring some alcohol for the room
Order All Hands on Deck to munch with the above alcohol while getting ready for dinner
Dress up every night and wear my long gown on formal night (my parents who also sailed with us were stopped coming out of the last show and complemented on how nice it was to see our whole family dress for the shows and dinner every night)
Pack too many shoes (hey at least we're driving to port this time)
Get some portraits done

Will do next time:
Actually make it to Cove Cafe (I love specialty coffee and I never made it there once in 7 days)
Read the navigators better - I always thought I'd plan every night but I didn't remember most nights
Actually meet the princesses/characters - I love meeting them in the parks but barely met any on the ships
ETA Must do the chocolate tasting if offered again. The video from the podcast when Dustin did this made this a definite for me!!!

Maybe:
Do FE - I haven't talked to my fiancé about the FE yet. I'm not sure he'll want to participate and last time I was in my parents room and received many of the gifts people gave the other children on the exchange I was 27 and signed up for it myself :confused3
Do mixology again - we set up a private group with our Dis meet and had a blast but I ended up toasted before heading to Remy as I'm a total lightweight)

Last edited:
Based on my cruise last month:

What I would do again

Skip the Sail Away Party and watch our departure from our veranda
Skip the Pirate Party and watch the fireworks from our veranda
Read and enjoy an adult beverage on our veranda (yes, there is a theme here)
Order the All Hands on Deck from room service and enjoy it on our veranda
Attend the wine tastings
Attend the cooking demos
Attend the shows
Bring an insulated cup and make my own fresh ice tea at the beverage station
Wear my tux for both formal and semi-formal nights
Do the Galley Tour
Snorkel at Serenity Bay (not a lot to see, but still fun)
Get up early, walk 3 miles on the Promenade Deck and watch the sunrise
Not graze all day, but eat 3 modest meals plus a late afternoon snack
Take the stairs vice elevator as much as possible
Walk the 5K at CC
Officer Pin Trading Night
Breakfast and Lunch in MDR
Brunch at Palo
Bring own alcohol

What I would not do again
Take the DCL transfer from a WDW resort to the port
Cabanas (as much as possible); DW likes it, I don't

Did before but didn't do this cruise and didn't miss
Massage at the Spa
Quiet Cove
Sail Away Party
Pirate Party
Whiskey Tasting
Character Meet & Greets
Dress up as a pirate

Last edited:
We've done Palo Brunch twice on the Magic. I like it and would do it again, but DW has no desire to return for brunch or dinner, and Remy is even of less interest to her.

While both were good, I've found the Palo brunch on the Magic to not be quite a good as the Dream or Fantasy. Just thinking of brunch on the Dream makes my mouth water.

Will do
1- will get breakfast via room service
2- will do FE again - very fun, kids loved it
3- will pre print stickers for luggage for disembarking- very time saving
4- bring over the door shoe bag for small things.
5- pack way less for everyone
6- read personal navigator more closely as to not miss fun events.

Will not do
1- book shore excersions prior to boarding
2- play bingo
3- forget to bring alarm clock that projects time on ceiling
4- will not bring refillable mugs or my own tea bags ( the ships tea was good)
Will do
1- will get breakfast via room service
2- will do FE again - very fun, kids loved it
3- will pre print stickers for luggage for disembarking- very time saving
4- bring over the door shoe bag for small things.
5- pack way less for everyone
6- read personal navigator more closely as to not miss fun events.

Will not do
1- book shore excersions prior to boarding
2- play bingo
3- forget to bring alarm clock that projects time on ceiling
4- will not bring refillable mugs or my own tea bags ( the ships tea was good)

Hey just curious as to why you wouldn't book excursions prior to boarding?!?! Considering booking a tour with Bernard tours in St Maarten and don't think I will be able to once on board. Thoughts????

Thats what that was? :lmao::lmao: Too funny ! My kids love spam , I got it a couple years ago as a joke " your lucky I never make you eat spam" (We had it all the time as kids). So I bought it and they all loved it:confused3 I still have never made..LIVER AND ONIONS ...EEEEEW .[/QUOTE

Thats what that was? :lmao::lmao: Too funny ! My kids love spam , I got it a couple years ago as a joke " your lucky I never make you eat spam" (We had it all the time as kids). So I bought it and they all loved it:confused3 I still have never made..LIVER AND ONIONS ...EEEEEW .

Is there spam served onboard? Where?

Would Do:
Let kids enjoy their vacation their way. If they want to stay in the room and watch movies, fine.
Skip fireworks
Dress as a pirate
Take every opportunity for pictures
Pin trade
Get the wine package
Book an excursion on Castaway Cay
Try lunch in the MDR at least once.

Would not do:
Set out my luggage for them to collect the night before
Book Palo again. We are 0/2, so I think I'd better just stop now.
Eat breakfast in MDR on our last morning. There are so many more options at Cabanas.
Miss The Golden Mickeys--again--because nobody else wants to go.

Go alone! I did brunch alone the first time.

I suggested that on our last cruise....I got the "evil eye" in reply! :oops:

My wife has no interest in eating at Remys, so I ended up going by my self on a cruise on the Dream and having a solo dinner there.

(She was originally booked to go on the cruise but ended up not being able to take the time off from work. This was the cruise for the inaugural Castaway Cay Challenge race, so I still went). She didn't lose out too much. Later that month I took her for a 60th birthday cruise, and as a surprise to her brought along all our kids and grandkids. I hope that made up for taking a cruise without her.

Based on my cruise last month:

What I would not do again

Cabanas (as much as possible); DW likes it, I don't

Hi. I have been going back/forth about requesting a cabana when we sail concierge in September since my opening to request is next month.
It will just be my mom and I since my family will be home. We are going September 14.

We have been to CC before, but only on Family Beach since we always have kids/teens with us.
This time, we will go to Serenity Bay since never have been able to go but also enjoy putting the chairs in the water and sitting there
but we also like the shade and relaxing.

Why didn't you like the cabana? I would love to know since I am torn on what to do? Did the cabana hosts get your
food/drinks for you? This would be a plus.

Can you see the water without obstruction from the loungers on the cabana? What did you like/not like about the cabana?

Thank you VERY much!

Hi. I have been going back/forth about requesting a cabana when we sail concierge in September since my opening to request is next month.
It will just be my mom and I since my family will be home. We are going September 14.

We have been to CC before, but only on Family Beach since we always have kids/teens with us.
This time, we will go to Serenity Bay since never have been able to go but also enjoy putting the chairs in the water and sitting there

Why didn't you like the cabana? I would love to know since I am torn on what to do? Did the cabana hosts get your

Can you see the water without obstruction from the loungers on the cabana? What did you like/not like about the cabana?

Thank you VERY much!

Why didn't you like the cabana?Loved mine.

I would love to know since I am torn on what to do? Did the cabana hosts get yourfood/drinks for you? Yes drinks, and on food you get they take away.

This would be a plus.

Thank you VERY much!

I'm pretty sure Sir William was referring to the restaurant on board...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter