What Hotels Are the Most Fun to Explore?

Jabroniville

Mouseketeer
Hi all! I'm a longtime trip-goer who's about to go on a huge trip in May 5-17 with 11 park days in there. It'll be my longest trip yet, and I'm thinking of doing a "Disney bucket list" thing of actually seeing some of the resorts I've never stayed in- as a cheapskate with a retail job, I've never stayed in any thing glitzier than Art of Animation, so I'd love to actually see some of the fancier hotels on an off-day, mid-day (before I go back to the park), etc. Since I have enough time to spread around, I'm less concerned about travel time.

The hotels I've been at are Art of Animation, All-Star Movies & Pop Century. I was at the Contemporary for an hour once so I've at least seen it and the giant Mary Blair mural. One time I was at whatever resort is by Disney Springs (the one with the 3 bus stops), but only in the dark.

So I'm wondering what are the most fun ones to see? I assume Animal Kingdom Lodge is great, though I'm not sure if you can see the animals without being a guest. Boardwalk looks fun (might still be under construction?). I'm curious what other "bucket list" ones you guys have that are fun to look at or you just wanted to stay at?

Thanks!

They are all interesting.
The Riviera because the lobby has a coffee shop next to a Walt Disney library .
The music is incredible and you can ask the DVC guide for a copy of the Riviera scavenger hunt game that highlights the artwork throughout the entire resort including one on rooftop level near the Topolinos check in reservation desk.They also have the SkyLiner scavenger hunt game !
Be sure to vist the childrens craft center on the lower level .all ages Welcome , I think.

Another great place to visit would be the Fort Wilderness Resort , especially if a golf cart is available to rent for your day to explore .
Im not sure about resort entry to park without some type of dining reservation.
And bus from the Disney Springs only drops off guests before 10:30 in the morning.
Have any desire for the HoopdeDoo Buffet ?
Be sure to enter the horse barn to listen to the sound of the beautiful Calliope inside .

Last edited:
Animal Kingdom Lodge and Wilderness Lodge are the best for exploring, impressive architecture and lots of cozy hidden nooks and crannies. Also, Native American (WL) and African (AKL) arts and artifacts. Yes, you can view the savannah without being a resort guest. You may need a dining reservation to access the resort grounds if you arrive in your own vehicle. You can enter the grounds using Disney transportation without having a reservation.

You may need a dining reservation to access the resort grounds if you arrive in your own vehicle. You can enter the grounds using Disney transportation without having a reservation.
Are you able to explore all of the resorts by coming in on Disney transportation? I really want to “resort hop” at some point. We took the skyliner to Epcot from HS, and when we went by Riviera there were cast members there to “greet” people. We stayed on- I was nervous that they wouldn’t allow us to enter the resort.

It's our favourite thing to do when not in the parks! We visited at Christmas for many years so explored the resorts for all the decorations and holiday treats. We never missed the monorail resorts, AKL and WL. Last time went on the Skyliner to the Riviera for the first time, and we'll defintely go again. Dining, shopping and nosing around, love it 😍

Are you able to explore all of the resorts by coming in on Disney transportation? I really want to “resort hop” at some point. We took the skyliner to Epcot from HS, and when we went by Riviera there were cast members there to “greet” people. We stayed on- I was nervous that they wouldn’t allow us to enter the resort.
You absolutely can get to and explore the Disney resorts arriving on Disney transportation. The restricting of access centers around driving in - most of the resorts will turn people away if they don't have a room or dining reservation, to protect parking capacity for the guests of the resort. If you arrive via bus, boat, monorail, or skyliner, you'll have no issues.

You absolutely can get to and explore the Disney resorts arriving on Disney transportation. The restricting of access centers around driving in - most of the resorts will turn people away if they don't have a room or dining reservation, to protect parking capacity for the guests of the resort. If you arrive via bus, boat, monorail, or skyliner, you'll have no issues.
Awesome!!! Thank you. I’m going to plan on doing this next chance I get! 😊

So I'm wondering what are the most fun ones to see? I assume Animal Kingdom Lodge is great, though I'm not sure if you can see the animals without being a guest.
AKL is probably the best for fun. Yes, you can see animals from there without being a guest. Also spend some time walking around the lobby and side room areas - they have lots of special displays.

Another good choice is Wilderness Lodge. There is so much detail incorporated into its design. Be sure to also walk out to the courtyard. Follow the stream that originates in the lodge down through the landscape to the geyser at the water's edge.

I think AKL and Kidani are great places to explore the resort(s). I think that a visit to Kidani is a must if AKL is on your radar. Both offer viewing platforms for viewing the animals. But, Kidani does offer a unique eatery in Sanaa where you can eat and see the animals.

Wilderness Lodge meets my definition of fun. But, what I really enjoy is visiting the DVC lobby next door. Walt's train room is a place I could spend hours in just sitting by the fireplace.

Fort Wilderness is/was so unique that it is fun+. We always rented a golf cart when staying in the cabins, but not sure if a day guest can still do that. Without the golf cart, it's still worth meandering around, but doesn't really capture the essence of FW.

All of them have something to offer. Back before I had actually stayed at 80% of them, I used to just hop on whatever was the first bus to arrive and explore that resort (obviously I was at a park). If you are doing it mid-day from a park, use the park you are at as your guide. At MK - hop on the monorail and do the loop, exploring CR, Poly and GF. Or, hop on a boat and go over to WL. There used to be a walking trail between WL and Fort but I'm not sure if they have opened it back up. The fort almost has to be explored by golf cart but they do have internal buses that will do the trick.

If you are at Epcot, walk to the IG and do the loop around the lake. Turning left you are going to start at BW, keep walking and you will go between the piano bar and another bar (I'm sorry my mind is blank as to their names). Turn left and you will go toward the Swan and Dolphin. Although not Disney owned resorts they do have some good things to explore. Turn right over the bridge and you will hit YC and BC. Past BC you will hit the sky-liner, hop on it and you can go to Riv. also CB and Pop/AoA. If you go straight from the IG you will hit BC, YC and either cross the bridge straight to go to Swan/Dolphin or cross the bridge and hang a left and go to BW.

If you are at AK, hop on a bus and go to AKL. All sorts of great things to see there.

If you are at DS, hop on a boat and go to OKW or POR or you can walk to SS.

Or, from any park hop on a bus and go to the All Stars, all three are within walking distance to the other. Hop on a bus and go to CSR. It's a deluxe lite resort and my favorite moderate.

Have fun and enjoy.

I would hit all of the deluxes and, if you need to prioritize, I would focus on the monorail resorts with a side trip to WL. BC/YC/BWI, while nice aren't as impressive in terms of theming as the others, IMHO (though I enjoy walking around the Boardwalk). If you can fit it in, I would go to AKL as well. If you have to really whittle it down, I would do Poly, WL and AKL.

Animal Kingdom Lodge, there is so much to see, and it's a gorgeous resort to boot. A huge collection of African Art, the animals, and three of the best sit down restaurants on Disney property.

Exploring the resorts is one of my favorite things to do! We always try to fly in early on our first day and take our time riding around exploring one or two. We love taking the boat from the Wilderness Lodge over to MK and then taking the monorail around to explore GF, Poly, and The Contemporary. We love getting a Dole Whip from Pineapple Lanai at the Poly. I think the deluxe resorts have the best gift shops, as well, which are fun to explore.

We also love walking the Crescent Lake area. The Boardwalk, YC/BC, and the Swan/Dolphin areas are all beautiful. You really can't go wrong!

Animal Kingdom Lodge is awesome. We stayed there soon after it opened and then snapped up DVC points as soon as they were offered. We love it! The animals are easily seen on the savannah and there is so much beautiful art, even down the hallways. They also have a daily schedule of other activities for both adults and children, although some cost extra. The restaurants are also all very good with African flavors. Even Mara, the counter service restaurant, is quite good and they even offer the wonderful Zebra Domes desserts that come from the buffet at Boma.

I would suggest a "progressive dinner" on the monorail ala the Highway In The Sky Dine-Around (https://www.disneyfoodblog.com/highway-in-the-sky-dine-around/). We did the Dine-Around years ago for our anniversary, but it's pretty easy to recreate (minus the private monorail car which was super cool). Here's how I would re-create it:
  1. Bus to the MK and walk to the Contemporary
  2. Have a cocktail and appetizer at the Contemporary at the Orbital Rim or Steakhouse 71. Check out the metal Mickey Ears near the pool and/or go over to Bay Lake Tower and go to a high floor (you can't go to the lounge up there, that's for DVC members only) and check out the view from the elevator lobby area. I *think* you can get up the elevator without a MB/key.
  3. Monorail to the Polynesian for dinner. I would have dinner at the Kona Cafe or Captain Cook's. The grounds of the Polynesian are beautiful. If you want to see more of them, you can get off at the TTC and walk over to the Poly. There is an entrance to the resort right near the exit of the TTC, just keep to the right.
  4. Monorail to the Grand Floridian for dessert. My favorite dessert is the almond crusted cheesecake at Narcoossee's. There is a small bar there where I have enjoyed a drink and cheesecake. Gasparilla's also has a nice selection of desserts. Make sure that you walk down to the boat landing to enjoy the view. The GF also has a a great selection on little shops to browse in.
  5. If you've timed it correctly, watch the fireworks and/or the Electrical Water Pageant from the boat dock. Please don't block the diners from Narcoossee's.
  6. Monorail back to the Contemporary. If you didn't see the fireworks at the Polynesian you can go up to the 4th floor viewing area and watch them from there.
  7. Walk back to the MK and catch the bus back to your resort.

We love the Wilderness Lodge lobby and the atmosphere of River Grille, which is a short walk from the lobby. We love the new chandelier at the Polynesian and the atmosphere of Trader Sam's. IMO, both places have nicer lobbies than rooms.

You could do a Monorail flight one night followed by a Skyliner flight another night. The hotel's accessible from the Skyline are quieter. A truly impressive lobby, a short walk from the Sky Liner over the cool sail bridge, is the WDW Dolphin, which if you've stayed at AoA, would fit your retail budget level. LOL

I love to walk around the Polynesian. The tiki torches, the dole whips, Trader Sam's all put you in the perfect vacation mood!

They are all interesting.
The Riviera because the lobby has a coffee shop next to a Walt Disney library .
The music is incredible and you can ask the DVC guide for a copy of the Riviera scavenger hunt hame that highlights the artwork throughout the entire resort including one on rooftop level near the Topolinos check in reservation desk.
Have any desire for the HoopdeDoo Buffet ?
Cool, I'll check out the art. Never heard of the buffet there.

Thanks to everyone who said you can see the animals without being a guest. I hadn't considered turning away people just driving around, but I get that. I only use Disney transportation.

Exploring the resorts is one of my favorite things to do! We always try to fly in early on our first day and take our time riding around exploring one or two. We love taking the boat from the Wilderness Lodge over to MK and then taking the monorail around to explore GF, Poly, and The Contemporary. We love getting a Dole Whip from Pineapple Lanai at the Poly. I think the deluxe resorts have the best gift shops, as well, which are fun to explore.

We also love walking the Crescent Lake area. The Boardwalk, YC/BC, and the Swan/Dolphin areas are all beautiful. You really can't go wrong!
It's funny because I've done FOUR TRIPS of increasingly-long length (the last one was 10 days), and despite always wanting to look around at the resorts, the only time I ever visited another resort was during 2021 when I HAD TO to get a COVID test before returning to Canada (The Contemporary was the closest way to get a cab to the pharmacy). Even during a ten-day trip I was like "Man I should really check out the other resorts but NAHHHHHHH might miss something in this 12-hour day at Magic Kingdom!".

The Polynesian sounds fun but I hear there's a lot of construction there now. It's at least close to MK!

The Swan & Dolphin always seemed a bit interesting because I can usually spot them heading to EPCOT (especially in the Skyliner) and sometimes within the park itself. I wasn't sure what they looked like internally, however.

It's funny because I've done FOUR TRIPS of increasingly-long length (the last one was 10 days), and despite always wanting to look around at the resorts, the only time I ever visited another resort was during 2021 when I HAD TO to get a COVID test before returning to Canada (The Contemporary was the closest way to get a cab to the pharmacy). Even during a ten-day trip I was like "Man I should really check out the other resorts but NAHHHHHHH might miss something in this 12-hour day at Magic Kingdom!".

The Polynesian sounds fun but I hear there's a lot of construction there now. It's at least close to MK!

The Swan & Dolphin always seemed a bit interesting because I can usually spot them heading to EPCOT (especially in the Skyliner) and sometimes within the park itself. I wasn't sure what they looked like internally, however.
I relate to this SO much! In spite of me saying we do love to explore the resorts, we always do it on our first day in or last day out, because we go so hard at the parks (sometimes rope drop to park close) and we almost never leave the parks once we're in them.
You're right about the construction at the Poly, but we were just there in Jan. and it didn't bother us much. It didn't impact the fun of exploration at all. As far as the Swan/Dolphin, it's definitely worth exploring a bit. Both were designed by Michael Graves and they're pretty amazing. Not as "Disney" in the theming, and a walk around the outside is probably enough, but they're our go-to resorts when we want to stay in that area because of the dramatically lower cost vs. other Deluxe properties. There's an incredible walkway between the Swan and the Dolphin that is lit up at night and is really beautiful.
Also...a 10 day trip sounds like a dream! We've only ever stayed for a week, but that's starting to feel like not enough 😜

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter