What hotel is better to stay....

elisaaldrete

Mouseketeer
First trip to DL and I haven´t decided where to stay.
I like the Sheraton Anaheim and my DH wants the Marriot Suites. Can anyone tell which is better? I know they are different types of hotels but based on experience......

Thank you

I hope some people here have some first hand experience, many of us either stay on-site or in the very affordable motels on Harbor blvd.

I'll give you a bump as well to see if someone can answer this first hand.

Most correspondents here favour the Disney hotels (Grand Californian if you can afford it, Disneyland if not) or two of the hotels on Harbor - the Howard Johnson and the Candy Cane Inn.

Both are moderate priced hotels, but very close and superbly run.

Sorry, those two I haven't personally stayed at, but my brother (who is picky) has stayed at the Sheraton and was very happy with it. He liked the theming of it. I believe they still have their own transportation to DL which is a plus as some of hotels ones are going to the Anaheim Shuttle which is an extra charge with more stops. I also have close friends that have stayed there as well and have stayed again. Haven't heard anything on the Marriott.

We have stayed at both the Marriott Suites and the Anaheim Sheraton! :flower: So I will try to help you! ;)

We stayed at the Marriott Suites on our Christmas trip in 2003. We have stayed at the Sheraton twice in the past (1999 and 2001) and will be staying there again for our upcoming trip this July!

We liked them both--they are different though.

Marriott Suites: Our room was upgraded when we checked in to a larger deluxe room (I'm not sure what they called it...) We were above the Starbucks towards the front of the hotel. It was alittle noisy early in the morning (5:00 a.m.!!) when they opened up and started brewing coffee, etc. We could also hear the buses coming and going...

As far as the room--it was a strange configuration...when you walked in the door there was a huge sitting area with a desk and some chairs/side tables...then there was a living area with a sofa bed and amoire and t.v. and some more chairs off to the left of that. There was a large bedroom with a king bed and dresser with t.v. to the right of the entry area (there was a door that seperated the two rooms). The bathroom was really laid out wierd--kind of a long marble corridor with the vanity area nearest the bedroom and closet. The toliet and shower were down farther. The bed was comfy. We had them bring a roll-away in for my oldest son. There was plenty of room for the roll-away.

Unfortunately, my younger son (9 at the time) got very sick 2 days into our 5 night trip (high fever and ear infection :sad2: ) The room ended up working out great because he was able to sleep in the bedroom and we could still watch t.v./hang out in the other room.

The hotel itself was pretty bland...nothing special as far as atmosphere. Not at all like an Embassy Suites.

I can't comment on the pool, we never used it!!--I think it was indoor though...

Since we had our own car, we mostly drove to DL. It was about a 5-10 minute drive to the DL parking lot--we took the back way there (stay away from going down Harbor) My older son and I did take the shuttle back and forth once. The bus/shuttle picks up others from the surrounding hotels (I think about 3 other hotels shared the bus) The bus stop was right next door to the Marriott Suites (Homewood Suites, I think...)

There were some good food choices across the parking lot (on Harbor). We ate at Red Robin and Joes Crab Shack...I think that there was a Outback there as well.

As for the Sheraton...

We like the Sheraton better...we have requested a queen/queen room for our family of 4 for our upcoming July trip. The rooms are huge and I think that they all have been renovated since our last visit there with the "Heavenly beds" (or whatever the Sheraton calls them! ;) ) We also are hoping to be ground level off of the pool area. Last time we stayed there, we liked being able to go out the sliding glass door to the pool area.

The grounds are very pretty--has much more appeal to me than the Marriott did. Much better for relaxing mid-day.

We usually take the shuttle when we stay here because it is so good. I think it runs every 20-30 minutes and you don't share with any one else. It is a smaller shuttle--not a huge bus.

They do have a place to eat, but we have never tried it. There aren't any close by resturants though--you would need a car to get anywhere besides disneyland.

You didn't say who is in your family...is it just you and your husband? I really think that the Sheraton suits our needs better (we are a family of 4--me, husband and 2 sons 12 & 17). I like the idea of a suite--I just like the Sheraton better! If you are interested in a suite--I would go for the Embassy Suites South instead of the Marriott Suites--JMHO!

Hope this helped! Feel free to ask more questions! ;)

Thank you very much!!!!, I´m so glad that you shared this info. I really couldn´t decide, but now I think I´m going for the Sheraton. I love heavenly beds I thought they were just for Westin, heard they were trying something similar, but I was not sure that they had them in every Sheraton.
We have a baby so we liked the idea of a suite because of what you said...let the baby sleep in one room and hang out in the other, not having to sleep at the same time...but most important because of the extra space.
We like the Sheraton because it´s closer to the park so if we decide to take a break it is easier. I´m glad your telling me that the rooms are big, this is very good news.
I´m so happy now!!!!!! I´m really thankful.

I think the standard rooms are huge at the Sheraton. I also really liked how some of the rooms opened up to the courtyard. I live locally so I haven't stayed at these hotels, but I visit a lot of them to check them out.

Here are some pics I took of the Sheraton: Sheraton Pics

Just another thought about the sleeping baby...

The very first time we stayed at the Sheraton (many years ago) our kids were much younger. We had a room that was next to the pool and I was able to sit right outside my room (with the sliding glass door open) while my youngest took a nap. My husband and I took turns swimming with our older son in the pool. It was really nice to be able to get some fresh air and not be cooped up in the room.

It probably would work well for the evening while you're trying to get the baby to sleep. Seems like the hardest part is getting them to sleep and once they're sleeping you can still watch t.v., etc. ;) quietly without waking them. ;)

When I said that the rooms were huge--I mean it! They are HUGE :earseek: compared to the usual hotel room! I think that they are close to 500 sq. feet!! The room was large enough to have a play and pak type crib--I think that they provided us with a crib (it's been so long ago... :rolleyes: I can't really remember!) And we were able to roll the stroller in and not fold it up and we still had room for all of our luggage, etc.!!

Anyway, glad I could help alittle! Have a great trip! :flower:

Have anyone stayed at the Embassy Suited South?

Also do anyone know how far the Amtrak train stations is? Doing a day trip to San Diego Zoo. :grouphug:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter