• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

What have you stopped doing or buying due to rising costs?

not as much beef being purchased.....I do have quite a bit in the freezer, so we will be using that.

Pretty much anything nonessential. Cut back on meat, eating out, driving less, putting off any big purchases like a car. Have to fund our vacation habit!

Last edited:
We decided to do the bedroom renovation ourselves. Getting a contractor these days is super expensive!

Actually, nothing. I'm a bookkeeper so have always been a penny pincher at heart. I always reuse ziplock bags, actually buy store brand really. I buy store brands on most everything, it is getting a little harder to find those, I think most manu. are just doing their name brand stuff. I only go to work once a week and don't usually take my car out otherwise. Hubby and I take his truck if we need to go anywhere but we pretty much just go to the grocery or home repair stores and maybe to fast food once every two weeks or so. We only go to the grocery once a month any way. I usually eat mostly vegetables and chicken, hubby eats mostly beef or pork and hasn't really cut down on that.

We probably won't be taking the RV out much for awhile. We had a chance to take it to Savannah in a couple of weeks but it was going to be a short quick trip and with the cost of diesel, I told hubby I'd rather stay at home. He has an extra tank on his truck and last time he filled both it and the regular tank it was well over $500.

We are trying to get up the guts to quit smoking (it's harder than any non-smoker can imagine). Cigarettes here are about $20/pack and with both DH and I smoking, the humongous expense can't be ignored any longer.

Cutting back on meat - just cost to much and I love beef so that one hurts - I’m saving for a cow !! I hope to have enough by summer !! Then I’m going to save for a hog - then I’ll be good for a long time - I have three freezers so I can hold the meat
I only grocery shop once a month and try to get just what I need - since my Target is always out of stock I’ve had to shop at Walmart so that helps I tend to buy less things I don’t need at Walmart - I go in and get out instead of look at everything
No eating out - I’m saving for my cow
We always handle our house projects so no contractors for us - but have put off a few projects until later and will focus on smaller ones

I want to cut back. But this is a spending year. I have a lot of electronics I need to replace such as a new cable modem, new phone, new laptop, and new Kindle Fire. Stuff wear outs and batteries lose their ability to hold a charge. I'm also getting a new backpack, new trail runners, and new tent. Again, stuff wears out. Trail runners last me about 6 months. My last tent lasted me 12 years.

My big change is that I'm cooking more and cooking more veggies. So I'm eating out less. I'm also working from home more to save on gas.

I’ve cut back on driving because of gas prices. Im cutting out most of my non-essential trips for the time being.

Good Luck !! I hope you succeed !! Wow where do you live ?? They are between $6 to $7 here in STL - name brands
Canada. Tobacco is very tightly regulated here and its use is discouraged by oppressive "sin taxs". Move than half the price of a pack of cigarettes is tax and then there's a 5% federal sales tax on top.

Was gonna replace my deck since my neighbor liked theirs last month.

Got a bid from their same replacement team (from Lowes). It was 40% higher than my neighbors' final price.

Needless to say, I'm not replacing my deck right now...it can have another 6 months to a year (or 2). It needs to still be done eventually, but I'll be danged if I pay that much more for the same thing.

We are trying to get up the guts to quit smoking (it's harder than any non-smoker can imagine). Cigarettes here are about $20/pack and with both DH and I smoking, the humongous expense can't be ignored any longer.

Quit (hopefully for the third and last time) about 15 years ago. Such a hard habit to break, even now if I think too much about cigarettes I start to crave them, and every time I went back after quitting, it was always times of great stress. Every now and then I see the current prices and I am shocked at how much my pack a day Marlboro Red habit would cost now. Best of luck to you. I used the patches, but I think the biggest thing that made me really stick with it the last time was seeing my 12 year old son cry as he furiously tore up my last pack of cigarettes, it really resonated at how scared he was at my 'habit".

Definitely have tried to cut back on take out. used to do a couple of times a week, now limiting it to 1x

I've postponed any major purchases but my normal routine is still intact. Haven't adjusted much yet.

Good luck @ronandannette I know how hard it is! I tried and failed twice before my third and last attempt in 1994. What worked for me was hypnosis--in a hotel ballroom with 150 other people. I am so grateful. I have not had a puff since then, and I had smoked for 17 years.

Everyone who wants to get off smoking has to have their own motivation and methods for doing it, however. I wish you the best!

We have always lived frugal. So really not much. Just saving as much ch as I can. We have to lann d a 7 day cruise in June. We have not been so n a family vacation in quite a long time. Very excited .

Can't think of anything. Well, we will buy chicken, fish and beef, just buy what is on special. Boneless thighs instead of boneless chicken breasts. Dover Sole instead of Salmon, cheaper cuts of the beef, but still eating the same amount.
Our expenses are minimal.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter