What have you learned about your Disney trips?

rszdtrvl

DIS Veteran
Like, what have you changed from one trip to another, or what have you learned about yourself and your family?

Our first trip was March 2008. We learned that Camelot is a pretty good hotel - their continental breakfast is great, and their coffee is some of the best on the harbor.
And we learned that Knotts Berry Farm is not for us, although our son loved it.
And most importantly I learned that I cannot go to DL without the "cruise patch" (motion sickness patch), as I was miserable our entire trip.
Oh - and we learned to avoid Captain Kidds - my son re-named it "Captain Cruds" and DH decided that the restaurant motto is "Dead Men Tell No Tales".
We also learned that we love any ride that gets us wet!

Our second trip was March 2009.
We learned that although Carnation Cafe is awesome, we just are not a family that does reservations. We like to eat when we are hungry, and having a reservation to eat somewhere actually threw off our schedule.
We learned that the Hojo is a beautiful hotel, but too far away for us.
And we learned that, at least for us, 5 nights in DL, all DL, is just too many nights.
And I learned that the "cruise patch" works great!
And we learned that Tony Romas is an awesome value when you look at all you get!
And we learned that overnighting at an airport close to the hotel with a Park N Fly package is the ONLY way to go!!
We also learned that DCA does not have much in terms of food when they first open.
We learned that the airline can charge double, and charge per bag, but having a non-stop flight is totally worth it!! The connecting flights with Southwest Airlines take way too long than the non-stop flights with Alaska Airlines.
And going into SNA instead of another airport is so nice! Quicker drive, and familiarity go a long way during the start of a vacation.

So when planning our trip for March 2010 we are :
Choosing a hotel closer to the crosswalk - leaning towards BWPP
Not making any eating reservations in the park (although Goofy's Kitchen is trying to tempt me)
Staying again overnight at a Park N Fly hotel
Not doing just DL - adding Lego Land and Universal Studios - more of a Southern California vacation, with Disneyland as our hub
Anticipating booking and finalizing our vacation!!!!

Next.....

This has the potential to be a really useful post. Very original. Thank You for making it.:goodvibes

We've learned that we don't *have* to see and do everything, it's so great to go back the next time and have new things to discover.

We've learned that more expensive is not always better, our stays at the Holiday Inn on South Walnut were better than the stays at the Grand Californian.

We've learned that we do not like the pre packaged Disney candy, we bought alot to take home to family and friends and several people said it tasted stale.

I've learned that a side salad with a blackened chicken breast on top is the perfect lunch for me at Cafe New Orleans.

We've learned that sitting outside at White Water Snacks and sharing Beef Nachos gives a welcome break from the crowds, noise and if you're lucky a Disney cat will come say Hi.

We've learned that A.R.T. is nice, clean and works for us.

We've learned that best laid plans sometimes go afoot and it's better to go with the moment at hand.

We've learned while fast passes are a good idea for others, we are not separating to run for them.

We've learned that on a couple's trip it's fun to take a break in the Grand Californian's lounge and sit at one of the private tables that have a checkerboard top. We played checkers with the chess pieces and had drinks with the best sticky ribs ever! It was a great break from the park and added a fun memory.

We've learned that a little can of playdough in the hotel room is a nice wind down activity for the children before bed.

We've learned that you should always carry a bottle of water in the park with you.

We've learned that it's good to have a couple of Gerber Graduates meals in the hotel room for the kids to have before bed.

We've learned that the purchase of a very small microwave was well worth it to keep in our hotel room.

I've learned that we all get hit by Disney snowballs once in awhile, and it's best to take a step back and reevaluate the things you are chosing to do while there. Sometimes we think we have to do everything and buy tickets for all the extra's, but really, just being at Disneyland is so very fun.

The most important thing we have learned is.... what is right for our family may be different from what is right for another family. And neither is better or worse, they are just more suited to the individuals in our family unit.:goodvibes

We learned that we like going in July instead of June.

We learned that Space Mountian breaks down a lot. :sad2:

We learned what Space Mountian looks like with the lights on. :rotfl:

We learned that Embassy Suites South is an incredible hotel.

We learned that we would like to try Candy Cane Inn next time just to try out a closer place.

We learned that we could spend five full days there and still not get to everything we wanted to do.

I've learned that:

...it's so much more fun when we're not running around in a frenzy to get from one thing to the next--I have finally learned to slow down and enjoy the little things I always used to miss in my mad dashes. It's also a lot better for my temperament :lmao:

...while nice, the off-site hotels do not give me the ultimate vacation experience that staying at the resort does.

...I'm not a huge fan of most of the food in the resort, including *gasp* Dole Whips.

...if I fly down at 6 AM and fly back home at 9:45 PM the next day, I can fit in 2 full days and only spend one night in the hotel.

...getting an AP can save you more money on hotel costs etc than you spend upgrading to AP.

...getting an AP to save money is a noble goal but not one that works for this snowball girl--one annual trip turned into 6 :rotfl:

...the more I go to DLR, the more I want to go :confused3

...I prefer shorter stays (2-3 days), several times a year, to one long stay :)

We have learned ....

after trying just about every single off season time, there is no true off season anymore. :(

after using ridemax just once and learning the tricks, we don't need it anymore. Now we use "DangerMax!"

to pack in our own lunches and enjoy just one meal in the park per day.

Be first at the gates and the whole day goes better.

There is no better feeling than being the first family to walk down a freshly washed Main Street USA during a MM.

Peter Pan First! Peter Pan ALWAYS First! Unless it's broken, then we stand around scratching our heads. lol!

Smiling and being friendly to CM's goes a long way to making your vacation even more magical.

we are a poncho family on the wet rides, yes we are!

Hot, fresh, chocolate drizzled, coconut macaroons from the Blue Ribbon Bakery are just about the best thing on the planet.

We need some down time every day, it doesn't have to be at the hotel, but we like to relax at WWS and spend some quiet time in the GCH.

Fantamic light tower trick works for us!

Stayed at a lot of hotels, including all of the onsite ones, but HoJo is our favorite.

We are not a character meal family. It's a waste of time and money for us.

The exception to the above rule is Storytellers for breakfast. The atmosphere and food are a good fit for our family.

My kids are all really brave and love the coasters. So happy about that! But it's the theming of some rides that scare them. ToT story freaks them out, as does It's Tough to be a Bug.

Christmas season is our favorite time to be in the parks. The atmosphere is just electric and magical.

We like to plan our trips around when the DEP is showing. It's a family favorite.

We prefer HM over HMH. Jack just doesn't do it for us.

3 days in the parks is the perfect amount for us.

My kids don't fight at Disneyland. Why is that? No wonder it's such a magical place!!

Billy Hill & the Hillbillies ROCK MY WORLD!

My husband is pretty much a Disney muggle, but is the most patient man in the world to keep going back to this place with his Disney crazy family. Thank you, honey!

We don't like DLR when it's torn up or lots of contruction going on, that's why we're taking a DLR hiatus until DCA is finished.

We have learned.......

1. To always carry several water bottles even if just entering for a few hours.
2. We love having a meal or two at Whitewater Snacks- the quietness and of course, the Nachos!
3. ALways have some kind of plan even if it's just this day we'll be in this park.
4. Take a break when everyone is tired and cranky.
5. Do not wait in lines longer than 35 minutes ever!
6. Do not ride Grizzly if you are wearing jeans.
7. We love the Animation Academy!
8. Goofy's kitchen is a good value for us- we eat, visit with characters, dance, eat some more, get lots of good pics, eat some more, leave 2 hours later with rested feet, happy tummies, ready to hit the parks again.
9. Staying at Hojo's is the best place for us. Nice hotel within walking distance.
10. Last but not least, always get there early for rope drop! Single most important tip for us!

Oh gosh, let's see.
- we've (o.k. I've) learned that while having her take a friend means I ride by myself a lot, it also means I don't have to ride the stuff I don't like and she doesn't have to ride alone or not ride.

- while it was good, I can live without a Dole Whip.

- we don't really care what hotel we stay at as long as we can walk to the park in less than 10 minutes and I get a good rate. A continental breakfast doesn't matter but a fridge does.

- we also learned eat breakfast in our room, pack in a lunch and then do one meal in the park. It helps my picky tummy immensely and saves me money.

- water is a must, as is my lightweight backpack.

- I take more pics when I travel with the kid than when I travel with someone else. However, I still go through the same amount of batteries.

- my mom doesn't give me nearly as much grief about taking "yet another" trip to the park(s) when I bring her back something yummy to eat. She's a Disney muggle but has a wicked sweet tooth.

- DLR is the only vacation thus far that the teenager and I agree upon completely. There's no bickering about where to go and she joins in to help plan. She even "tolerates" my "dorky" tendencies to make it all more fun. lol

- and that arriving at lunchtime on a Thursday and leaving just after lunch on Sunday is the perfect amount of time for us.

1. Starting an AP year out with 6 full days in the park so see everything at a leisurely pace is the way to go.

2. The DL snowball has swallowed me whole. (3 trips in 1st 3 months...BTW we have a 5 hour drive to DL!)

3. Now we can do several 3 day trips and see the "highlights", like the seasonal decor and rides, and not feel rushed or jipped.

4. My favorite foods were surprises: jalepeno cheese pretzels, turkey legs, corn dogs, mickey pancakes.

5. Goofy's Kitchen brunch & Ariel dinner ARE worth the $$. You CANNOT put a price on the looks on my kids faces, plus the food was pretty darn good.

6. My girls are dare devils! My 2 yo loved the Matterhorn & Gadgets Go Coaster. My 4 yo was hesitant to ride at first, but loved everything. My 7 yo loved CA Screamin'.

7. After a couple of drops on POTC, DS learned that he was dare devil too and loves to be thrown in the air now?!?

8. Portofino isn't too long of a walk for us. We could definitely stay there again.

9. A Mocha Almond Fudge waffle cone from the cone shop is a great treat for the walk back to the hotel.

10. Small world is a great place to see the firworks, just to the left of the castle (even if right in front) is not!

11. FP at Autopia was worthless (good thing I found them, not wasted a FP on them). We got ahead of maybe 15 people and still had a 25 minute wait! :confused3

12. Alladin show is a MUST DO!! It was great.

13. I can survive 6 days in DL with my DH, 4 kids and my mom with out driving each other nuts! That is definitely some Disney magic.

14. My 2 little ones are the best babies. On one day we spent most of it at DCA where they could only ride a few rides (we had already done bugs land a previous day). They patiently hung out all day, in and out of the stroller waiting for the big girls to ride all the rides. They were rewarded with an evening in FL riding "their" rides.

We have learned......
1. We don't like crowds. Being at DL when it's crowded makes me grumpy!:mad:
2. I love Tigger Tails and Mickey rice krispies with choc. dipped ears!:love:
3. Renting a house vs. staying in a motel is a MUCH better fit for our large extended family (6 adults and 5 kids). We eat a hot breakfast & dinner in the house and you wouldn't believe how much money we save by doing that! We pack lunch into the park as well.
4. When you're STARVING, a PB&J Uncrustable sandwich is to die for! :rotfl:
5. Always always take my Meclizine (for motion sickness).
6. We always bring a Neat Sheet. Use for a blanket to sit, to wrap up in if it's chilly, or as a water repellant cover for the stroller if it's raining.
7. I can do without the Dole Whip......I just don't see what all the fuss is about?:confused3
8. My most favorite part of the trip is when you first walk in the gate and are standing at the end of Main St and you look down and see the castle.
9. The music from the ELP makes me cry! (happy cry!)
10. My son and I love doing Animation Academy together and comparing our sketches afterwards.
11. You can't see Turtle Talk with Crush too many times! I love when the kids ask him questions. :rotfl:
12. Most importantly, go with the flow. No one likes a DL Nazi! :headache:

Great topic......thanks for starting this!!

What we have learned over the years...

1) Fastpass, fastpass, fastpass -- it is your friend...
2) No matter how you dress it up, It's a Small World is the creepy ride ever.
3) You don't have to stay onsite to have a good time (even though we are on this next trip :p)
4) Blue Bayou is great and all, but our days of rezzies there are done. It's just not as good as it used to be.
5) We have such a better time in the parks when the crowds are not 10 deep.
6) Lanyards with pins are a much bigger deal for adults at DL than they are for adults at WDW.

What have I learned....

1. That there is no money saved in buying an AP! :lmao:
the snowball has me in it's grips, and if I would of just stuck with the hoppers in April I could of saved thousands, but not nearly of had such a great year! :cool1:
2. PSs for Fantasmic is the only way to see F! and the Fireworks for us :)
3. buy food and drinks to keep at the hotel, just not as much food.
4. Do not go into Poohs Corner! I cannot escape without a tigger tail.
5. Get there early opening get FPs for everything, relax leave early around 9:30pm repeat.
6. DTD can be skipped.
7. DCA is getting better.
8. Hotels are a place to sleep and shower.
9. People will take your balloons when you are not looking.
10. Adults will barge in front of little kids to get to characters.
Character meals are a more relaxed way to see them.
11. To soak it all in, walk not run, smile, say thank you to CMs.
12. We can always come back, someone else might not be able to; so be patient.

What my family has learned:

-Kids have temper tantrums even at Disneyland.
-To bring our own snacks. It is such an easy way to make sure my kids eat fruit and their meals are balanced.
-When it comes down to souveniers, it's a choice between the $60 custome or the $5 Mickey lollipops.
-To bring a stroller even if your 6 year old claims "he's not a baby anymore". By 2:00 in the afternoon, he will be thankful and so would you.
-To take a break and nap and swim. Then get ready for the fireworks.
-That is ok if something doesn't go according to plan.
-That we really don't like Small World, but keep riding it because of the kids.
-That Disney photographers can take bad pictures.

But the most important thing we have learned is to see Disneyland through our boys eyes and yes it is PRICELESS.............:wizard:

Our biggest thing that DLR has helped us with is DS's ingredient problems (anything with "corn syrup" in it, and any further processed item with that as part of its name), which then in turn helped us figure out that hubby has a problem with it too, which probably saved him from even more dramatic blood sugar problems (he reacts to corn syrup products FAR more drastically than normal sugar).

So, although it was difficult at the time (DS running around in circles after a corn syrup solid Dole Whip, or having a massive tantrum after a cs/hfcs Uncrustable (who know PB&J could have such things?)), it has really saved our family in many ways.

Oh, and later, being sent the pumpkin muffin recipe through the AP website caused us to find out how well cinnamon works to control hubby's blood sugar, so there's another huge benefit. (cinnamon rocks!)

Other than that....

We're definitely a work in progress as a family! That is the same at home...constantly reinventing what the wheel should look like, be, do, etc etc etc...so our trips evolve too.

We have a very complicated sense of "value". To say the least. The AP snowball effect took root fast and strong with us.

We all just like the *feel* of the parks. Even DS. As long as he has earplugs available, especially in Tomorrowland after dusk.

We forget to eat, we share food, we rarely have a proper dessert, but still...we don't lose weight at the parks. It's a mystery.

We've learned:

That they give you way too much food and DH and I always are fine sharing

That it's better to just follow your child's energy level and relax.

That ART is a pain in the rear if you are alone with a stroller, so we stay within easy walking distance...but that will change when both kids are older.

That the Lego store has some really cool stuff

That the baby center is a much nicer place to change a kid than a cramped dirty bathroom

That just because your child is tall enough for Star Tours they might be too skinny and slide out the bottom of the seat belt

I learned that I hate the Florida Heat and the long lines probably because of the Florida heat & humidity. I've learned that the long lines are not so bad in DL because the weather is much better. Finally, I've learned that I need a vacation to recuperate from the mouse house!

I haven't been to Disneyland to learn anything but I'll tell you what...

I've learned that DISer's are AWESOME! :love:

Thanks for making this thread, OP, and everyone else for taking to time to critique themselves. I am soaking up every letter of this thread! :worship:

I have learned:

1. That Fantasyland and Toontown are great places to "warm up" kids for bigger rides to come.
2. That pictures taken in the same places or with the same characters every trip are more valued than trying to see everyone/everything like a scavenger hunt.
3. That sometimes it's worth someone's happiness to ride a ride when you are walking by, even if you think you might save 10 minutes riding it later or with a FP.
4. That pressed pennies are the best cheap souvenir ever!
5. That you will always miss something during a trip (broken, down for reno, off-season, etc.) and you will just have to come back again to do it!
6. That Disney portions are huge and I'd rather split something yummy every few hours than gorge at meals.

PHXscuba

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter