• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

What have you had to cancel due to Coronavirus?

I’m sitting under my carport right now enjoying a breeze and this thread got me thinking about hurricane Katrina. You see, I have been here before. Everything closed, canceled, hoping for the best. This time is actually better because I wasn’t forced out of my home and I’m not waiting for financial assistance from the government.

It’s crazy to witness that type of event on a global scale. Many businesses didn’t come back from Katrina. Many new ones began years later.

Just about everything I had planned for my life changed then. It all turned out ok in the end.

I don’t even know if I should post this here, but there are too many threads now, so whatever. :)

Was supposed to go to Montpellier, France in early June for a wedding, but the wedding has been postponed and we’re not going. Also, two of my kids have birthdays in early April and we were supposed to take a weekend trip to Great Wolf Lodge in celebration and this has been canceled too. Hopefully our August Myrtle Beach trip will be unaffected.

Canceled so far:
  • DD's Grad Bash trip to Universal Orlando
  • 4 - day trip to Key West with relatives from out of state
  • DD's 18th birthday party
  • DW's retirement celebration on May 31
Pending, with all looking very doubtful:
  • Prom - late May
  • Graduation - late May
  • College Orientation for both parents and DD - early June
  • 2 - week bucket list non-cruise vacation to Alaska - late June
I hope you'll get to take your non-cruise Alaska trip, one way or another. We went in late June last year, and it was great!

I cancelled a weekend trip to WDW right before St. Patrick's Day. Looking to reschedule for October.

I had not booked yet, but plans were in place of dropping my mother off at friends' and going to Ocean City to ride my bicycle a couple days. Back to pick mom up spending the day and night with the friends. He was Dad's best friend growing up and Mom and her were in the hospital pregnant together. I was born and a day later Jennifer was born. Seems like it was in the making and I should be saying we've been married now for years but she left us around 5 or 6 years old.

Not afraid of the virus. Don't know if anything will be up and running to eat and such. Other than eating (which I could carry my own food, I tour carrying around 100 lb on a bicycle is easy) I would be by myself just riding along for pretty much the whole time. I could even camp and keep away from hotels if I wanted to.

Other than that, I was thinking of Myrtle Beach with the kids but nothing was set. Probably won't do that. Other travels tentatively planned were mostly motorcycle riding with primitive camping (read as not at commercial sites around others.)
Wow! We bicycle camped with far less weight. So weight conscious that frequently we went pole-less for our pup tent and tied the guylines to branches, LOL. Are you using panniers, if so back or front or a trailer? Or maybe a back pack? I would guestimate we each carried about 30 pounds with one carrying the gear and the other our oldest son. Once second child was born we stopped and switched to a cabin rental since he was too small to fit in the child seat properly. How many miles/km do you average a day?

We just cancelled our April Spring Break trip to AZ to tour colleges, see the Grand Canyon and visit an Alpaca farm. I genuinely felt bad for the lady at the Red Feather lodge at Grand Canyon Village as she described the scene there. We were supposed to stay at a Great Wolf Lodge in Tuscon and did NOT feel sorry for them. They withheld 15% of our 1 night deposit per their policy even though they are officially closed through March. He had purchased their cancellation insurance so it brought that down to $20. I asked if we'd get that back if they closed through April and he said we'd have to call back. COMEON! Why all the nickel and dimeing? Will reschedule and include a stay at Red Feather for sure. GWL? Maybe not...

I didn't "have to" cancel a beach trip, but felt it was the right thing to do.
My daughter's state gymnastics meet was cancelled.
My sons' sports were cancelled.
pedicure, waxing, hair, gym..cancelled.

Nothing like a vacation; but, DH and I are staying away from our parents who we normally visit once or twice a week.
DD's college graduation may be cancelled. At this point, they are saying it will be postponed.

My SO had to cancel his guys trip to Clearwater.

we cancelled a weekend in Atlantic city.

weekly happy hours.

numerous doctor appointments.

So far:
- mid trip Cosmos ended our tour of Norway on May 12. Told to utilize our return tickets for several days later or make arrangements on our own. Of course the airline would let me do anything as Globus provided the ticket.
- April land/cruise of Italy and France. Rescheduled for June and that seems unlikely at this point.
- Probably won’t make it to our niece’s May wedding in Hamburg.
- Wondering whether we’ll make our September cruise round trip from Rome to the eastern Mediterranean.
- chances are that a whole host of routine medical appointments will be rescheduled.

We had planned to go the Borgota in AC last week for a night. We were also thinking about a long weekend next month either at the Jersey shore or somewhere within a few hours of the Philadelphia area.

So far:
Spring break WDW trip-supposed to be there right now
DS birthday party
Several Dr. Appointments
Twin DD’s 18th birthday party
Not visiting my parents who are in a high risk group-thank goodness for FaceTime
Nephew’s college graduation/Marine Corp Officer commission ceremony

Hoping we don’t have to cancel but not looking too good:
Our rescheduled WDW trip the first week in June
DS’s first communion
DD’s senior prom
DD’s Graduation
Getting back in my classroom with my kiddos
College accepted student visits/possibly parent and new student orientations in June

I feel the worst for my daughters and my nephew who are losing the end of their senior year in high school/college after so much hard work!

Doctor's office called and asked if my appointment tomorrow is vital. No, just a routine follow up visit so I cancelled. I just need a Rx refill which can be called into the pharmacy.

Wow! We bicycle camped with far less weight. So weight conscious that frequently we went pole-less for our pup tent and tied the guylines to branches, LOL. Are you using panniers, if so back or front or a trailer? Or maybe a back pack? I would guestimate we each carried about 30 pounds with one carrying the gear and the other our oldest son. Once second child was born we stopped and switched to a cabin rental since he was too small to fit in the child seat properly. How many miles/km do you average a day?
I carry about a gallon and a half of water and refill all day. That's about 12 lb. alone along with the weight of the bottles. I overheat very easily, no matter what the temperature is, I cycle in the winter in below 20° F as well. I drink about 4 gallons a day. We ride anywhere from 50 miles for a very easy day to ending up with 80-85 on long days.

Note, that pic is from the Peace Bridge that we crossed into Canada and we rode around Lake Ontario. I was completely self sustaining for 11 days with food and snack foods, no so much for the water I drink though. I was also carrying a small grill for fire and a skillet. I tend to over prepare on the survival/bushcraft stuff so I also have some rather larger knives than most would have and a folding saw, couple chunks of fatwood, fire steel, and of course a lighter for backup, but I don't use it.

Attachments

• 67142652_2417582111803977_7800415428563435520_o.jpg
    67142652_2417582111803977_7800415428563435520_o.jpg
    111.8 KB · Views: 3
Had to cancel the baby shower this coming weekend for my daughter who is expecting twins.

Thank you again for your gracious offer.
I think of all the times I mentally scold people with the line, "We live in a society!" and started figuring I better start living it. We're all in this together. In a couple months I'll go back to being an acerbic misanthrope, but while things are so tense out there I figure I better do my part to tip my karma needle towards the other side of the gauge.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter