What have you found left behind when you moved into a new home?

After we'd made the purchase agreement, we went to the estate sale to have a look and we mentioned that we had purchased the house. The listing agent told us that in addition to planned stuff, the previous owner had left some stuff just as a parting gift. In reality it was a lot of odds and ends including 60s/70s era furniture, cheap wall art, etc. I think in the freezer they left a can of Minute Maid frozen concentrated lemonade. Lot of little stuff was left. Maybe a couple of ladders and assorted yard implements.

High end vacuum cleaner, stereo, boxes of alcohol, cleaning supplies and some other things. It was all left by mistake. We called the old owners (they had given us their number at closing in case we had any issues) and they came and picked it up.

A friend of ours moved right before Thanksgiving and deliberately left all the nicely boxed Christmas lights for the house for the new owners. I thought that was very thoughtful.
Another friend has a great story. When they moved into their new home, they found the old owner's ex-husband. He was sitting in a back room surrounded by bags (shopping and trash) of his stuff (which he had not completely cleared out of the house). When the startled, flabbergasted family confronted him, he asked, "Can I live with you?" (Um, that would be a firm no.) They showed him and his bags the door. The realtor had no idea who he was or what he was doing there. The next day, the kids found the guy and his bags in the bushes in the front yard. Our friend called the police to let them handle it. They threw out the rest of his stuff (junk, junk, and more junk).

Our house has a crawl space under it. In that space we found an old lawn mower, a bedside commode and a wedding photo album.

The album was returned to the family. The commode was thrown out. We were told to keep the lawn mower (which still works).

This is dumb, but when we bought our first home 20 years ago the lady left this little bee garden stake thingy out front in the landscaping. When we sold the house, I was certain I packed it and accused my husband of tossing it. We did a drive by a few months later to see how the house was doing and I saw it was still out there. I jumped out of the car and grabbed it! Ten years later it was dilapidated and I have no idea why I had to have it (still have it).

So the day before closing we did a walk through and they asked us if we wanted the desk, shelving and chair in the smallest bedroom. She said that they just had bought them, and could not take them with them. They were really high quality and pricey so we said sure...

So we closed, started moving... that room became the catch all... So a few week later, I opened the desk drawers and started going through the shelving and the were completely full of stuff... all the file folder were empty... lots of junk... So I opened the last desk drawer's and there was a like this old pencil holder zipper pouch... with over 500.00 dollars in cash... and I found a album of really old pictures, and a bunch of other good stuff... I called the number that they provide and it was no longer working, so I called the realtor, and she tried to find out with the other realtor a good number.... No luck.... I kept the cash and pictures for over a year... finally I just deposited the money in our Disney account, and when I re-looked at the photos, I realize that they were of the town square and park in the downtown area, from around the 1930 or 1940's... I donated them to the local historical society, they were excited to have them...

Other moves... we have found mostly cleaning items, some clothing...a bike in the attic of one house... some tools... that's about it...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter