What have you done when it rained during vacation?

bcla

On our rugged Eastern foothills.....
Not on vacation right now, but definitely not going out because it's raining like crazy.

I've had the rain come down pretty hard sometimes. I found out firsthand why it's called the "wet season" in Florida. It's been pretty nasty other places including Hawaii and Asia. Fortunately the rail stopped before a scheduled activity when visiting Yellowstone. I think it would have went on with or without the rain, but if I was planning on going hiking I might have just spent all day at the lodge staying dry.

Reminds me of the VW ad where a game show is showing on the TV at a bar at a Latin American resort. It's raining like crazy outside and a bartender sees a contestant with a choice between a Jetta and a vacation at that resort, and the bartender is yelling to pick the VW. He picks the vacation, where it cuts to that contestant looking dejected.

At Disney? We've been there during a hurricane (Jeanne, 2004, closed the parks for a day) and three tropical storms. The hurricane day, there was nothing we could do. The other times, and just rain, put on Keens and a rain jacket and go on. If it rains while we are at the beach, we hang out at the house, go shopping, whatever.

Thoughts....
  • before planning a vacation.... I now look up the climate charts on which month is likely to have rain or excessive heat. When is Florida hurricane season?
  • if the forecast is for rain... I now check the Doppler. I plan indoor activities when it's wet and take advantage of the breaks between the severe downpours.

Thoughts....
  • before planning a vacation.... I now look up the climate charts on which month is likely to have rain or excessive heat. When is Florida hurricane season?
  • if the forecast is for rain... I now check the Doppler. I plan indoor activities when it's wet and take advantage of the breaks between the severe downpours.

I thought of that. However, the main point of my trip to Florida was for a scheduled event. I knew it was the wet season, but it's not like it rained hard all the time. Just one day it was coming down in sheets.

At Disney? If raining hard, we wait and see, if light rain, we carry on (for awhile). We 'do not' do downpours!! Other vacations - about the same, depending on what is indoors.

Usually nothing. On one occasion, packed up & went home a day early.

I live in the Pacific NorthWET where it rains all the time. If I let rain stop me from getting out life would be pretty dull.

If I am on a booked tour that does not go because of rain I adapt and do the "tour" on my own.

Life is to short to let rain/snow/etc dictate my life.

Carry an umbrella, watch the rain from our deck or balcony, go to a restaurant...so many variables.

I like rain - most of the time. That probably comes from living and visiting different places in the NorthWest as a child.

I just wear a rain coat and use an umbrella when it rains on a vacation.

If it isn't raining buckets, depending on where I am, I just keep going.

Years ago, I was visiting friends on Oahu. We had gone to the beach for the day. I swear it rained briefly 3 times while we were there, just kept swimming,plus I took a picture of this ominous but beautiful cloud right at the shoreline.

I used to live where it had monsoon season, so rain isn't going to make me melt or float,lol.

If at WDW, it is funny how a drop of rain will make some people leave, it,'s Florida, you should expect it.

We get wet. We've had some trips to WDW when it rained 8 out of 10 days. It's kind of one of those "is what it is" things and we still do our thing. We've even gone to water parks in the rain (they stay open unless it's lightning/thunder). We had a hurricane brush the Bahamas when we were on our honeymoon. It was close enough to have a deluge of rain and be pretty windy. We still went swimming.

We refuse to let weather ruin our vacation. We went to Vegas once in August, and it was 113 degrees. We played it smart, but still did what we wanted to.

Just go about my day, I won't melt. Some of the best diving happens when it's raining since it makes it kind of dark underwater and the night fish come out. At WDW we just grab a poncho and carry on, anywhere else we are travelling we just grab an umbrella and carry on.

Well.. ummmm... I've only had one recent vacation that turned REALLY rainy.
It was an adult couples getaway.
So, my answer might not be DIS/family friendly!!!!!

Ohhh, I also wanted to say that I have a lot of thick hair, and wear glasses (can't do contacts), so being out in the rain can pose enough of an issue for me to keep me indoors as much as possible.

Two of our more recent trips were bucket list trips to see Alaska and Hawaii.
YES, it rains a lot in these two places!!!!
Lucked out for most of our time on KAUAI... on rainy day that was not a total washout.
Now, Alaska... OMG.... I swear, we did not see the sun for the entire week (well, only once)... When I saw gorgeous blue skies and sunshine streaming in thru the concouse atrium windows on our layover on the way home, I actually pulled out my camera and took a picture!

The last time it rained during one of my vacations I stayed in and spoke a selection of words that would get me banned from the DIS.

I remember a memorable camping trip when I was a kid where it rained so hard we got in the car and drove to the nearest town for dinner and a movie. I think that's the only vacation I've been on that we actually got rained out of our plans. Usually it's pretty easy to substitute indoor activities or pull out an umbrella if the rain is coming down.

Last year at Niagara Falls it rained really hard as we were walking to the boat ride. We just sloshed through the rain and got on a really empty boat! We were headed somewhere specifically to get wet so it cracked us up that so many people were standing under awnings etc. waiting for it to stop.

We went to Sea World and sat in the Splash Zone. It was even funnier because they still have to tell you "You might get wet!"

Disney Quest is always a good spot when it's pouring. We will miss it. :(

I try to roll with the punches really-may not be the happiest about it but I try not to let it get me down too much either. I do look at the weather while I'm packing but I'm usually bringing an umbrella just in case. If I'm at WDW I don't bother with an umbrella inside the parks but I would for activities outside of the parks.

It rained when I went to WDW in 2011 but if I recall correctly it wasn't everyday. I remember being inside Sunshine Seasons for a while waiting it out but that was after getting wet getting in there.

I went to Austin in May 2015 and it rained every single day for our whole trip (which was like 9/10 days) except for 1 day which was the day we didn't have major plans. We did get to go zip-lining and it was good that we got the first slot of the day because they had to cancel the rest due to the rain.

When I went to St. Lucia in April 2013 for my honeymoon it rained at times. Actually one of my favorite memories from that trip was sitting in the hot tub while it rained at one of Sandals resorts overlooking the beach and greenery drinking rum punch (that was covered so it didn't get rain in it) and having a great conversation with an Australian couple.

When I went to Oahu, Hawaii in September 2016 we were staying on the westside (less rain more sun) and it only rained for a little bit and not everyday. However when we got closer to Honolulu it was raining more. It wasn't a downpour though.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter