What have been the biggest mysteries in your home?

No explanation for this- there was a crack in our ceiling (home built in 2016) that developed last year. Saw it everytime we went upstairs and had talked with my wife about needing to fix it. In fact it was on a to do list along with a couple other repairs. Then one day as I go down the stairs, I noticed the crack was gone. What?! I got a stool and ran my hand over the ceiling wondering if it “settled” and closed up but nope. No defect whatsoever, no crack, no dust, or paint issues. I have no clue but if there’s a handyman ghost I’m totally cool with it- but “repair crack in ceiling” is off the list now haha!

No explanation for this- there was a crack in our ceiling (home built in 2016) that developed last year. Saw it everytime we went upstairs and had talked with my wife about needing to fix it. In fact it was on a to do list along with a couple other repairs. Then one day as I go down the stairs, I noticed the crack was gone. What?! I got a stool and ran my hand over the ceiling wondering if it “settled” and closed up but nope. No defect whatsoever, no crack, no dust, or paint issues. I have no clue but if there’s a handyman ghost I’m totally cool with it- but “repair crack in ceiling” is off the list now haha!

btw, to give a clearer picture, this was not a tiny crack- it was about 5 ft long along the ceiling, from the wall all the way to where the ceiling slopes down the stairs…so weird, no clue how this happened

Our dog would often look up at the wall in the corner of our bedroom as if sensing something. We would have thought that something may have happened there, but we are the original owners of our home and we even personally put insulation in the interior walls before the drywall was installed. So that was always a mystery to us.

The lights in my bathroom. Even after a light has "burnt out" I won't replace it (or ask my brother to replace it) until it's been out for a week, because it has been known to come back on on multiple occasions. To the point that I called one of the light bulbs Lazarus. Not sure if it's the bulbs, the fixture, or the combination of the two.

My best story comes from my college dorm room, but I did eventually figure that one out, and a dorm room is not a house. But it was still freaky/weird!

Every time one of our pet's die we have had unknown sound in the house, When our Italian greyhound died the smoke detector when off in the middle of the night, and has never done it since, when some of our cats have died there are strange sounds.

Last edited:
When my grandmother died in 2007, I searched high and low for her wedding ring (she had stopped wearing it when her fingers swelled). I swear it was nowhere to be found. One of the places I searched was the sideboard in the kitchen, 3 drawers, and I am absolutely %1000 positive that I looked in those drawers more than once. My mother couldn't find it either, so eventually we gave up. 6 years later, in 2013, I opened one of those sideboard drawers to retrieve a take-out menu and there was the ring, in the front corner of the drawer, plain as day. I think I just stared at it for a minute, because I know I looked there!

There was a bulb out in the upstairs hallway.I'm too short to reach it,even with a stepstool.Asked my husband to change it and he said no problem.Came home from work to find two bulbs on the counter.Switched on the light and it turned on.Told my husband thank you and he said for what and I said for changing the bulb upstairs and he said he didn't change it.We have all sorts of funny sounds in our house-from the 50's.
I had something with light bulbs happen in my old apartment! It was a townhouse-style, 2 floors, with recessed lighting. The light bulb in the bathroom burned out, so I took it out, and since I didn't have any replacement bulbs, I took the one from the hallway and put it in the bathroom. It was much dimmer than the original one, but I could deal with it for a day or two. I put the burned-out bulb on a table in the hallway to take with me to the store, to make sure I bought the right thing. So I had a dim light in the bathroom for a few days, but then one day when I came home from work, I flipped on the bathroom light and suddenly it was bright again. I stopped dead in my tracks, slowly looked at the hallway table, and the light bulb was gone. Looked up at the hallway light, which should have been empty, but there was a bulb in it. Flipped it on, and it was the same bulb that had been in it before. Never figured out what happened. And both bulbs were still working when I moved out a year later.

I know the former owners of the John Proctor house in Peabody, MA. He was involved with the Salem Witch Trials. Their kids have some scary stories of growing up in that haunted house!

When we moved in we found a sword on the backside of a beam. No idea why the previous owners would have had a sword, or not taken it with them when they left 😳

Where the cat hides when we can't find her.

Where the cat hides when we can't find her.
My cat that I have now wandered into my parents yard as a 6 week old kitten, it was a stray. We brought him into their house and put it in one of the bathrooms until we could figure out a better place for him. About 3 hours later I go up there and can't find him anywhere. I searched and searched. He was so tiny, I thought he had to have found someway to escape either in a vent or down a drain or something. He wasn't that tiny so it didn't really make sense. But I was freaking out that I had lost this baby kitten somehow. Later that day I heard him digging in the litter box so I run in there real quick and I saw him run under the vanity cupboards. There was an about 2 inch gap between the bottom of the vanity and the floor, he was crawling through that and was essentially in the gap between the bottom/sides of the drawers and the floor.

Not my house... my uncle's house.

For a long time, every time he would turn on the light in one of the bathrooms, there would be a strange crying sound. He was telling everybody about it, and he thought he had looked everywhere and just could not figure out what that sound was or where it was coming from exactly. He and the entire household were totally weirded out by this strange happening.

It was only a mystery to them... my dad knew what was going on. He bought some sort of prank gadget that was sensitive to light and would make noise briefly when exposed to light. He hid it in their bathroom, and the "mystery" kept going on until the batteries in it ran down. :rotfl2:

I don't own it any more, she owns it and the kids live there still, anyway....

House is way out in the country, in farm land. 1 year after we moved in I answered the door to a suit in a government looking vehicle. A detective for the State Police, he asked if the previous owner was around. I explained we bought it a year ago and he moved somewhere in Florida.

In 1983, he and his wife went to the Pharmacy and it was closed. So they stopped at the local grocery store on the way back home. He ran inside while she waited in the van. He came back to find the van sitting empty still running.

The detective explained that since it was an open cold case, they visited the previous owner every so often. He went as far as asking me if I noticed any repaired areas in the basement that may be re-pours of the concrete. As the basement was still completely empty I invited him down to have a look. Nothing picked at his curiosity and he left.

Couple years go by and another knock on the door. It's the detective and he says that a cadaver dog was in the area and could they have permission for it to walk the property. This could be interesting so, of course. Detective explains that the day before a helicopter will do a flyover surveying the area.

I talk to my then wife on the phone from work, the helicopter flew over. "Oh yeah, Police real big on the side and it circles the house at tree top level 3 times and it flew off!" Sheesh! How does this look to our neighbors?

The next day I took off work so I could be home with her and our 3 year old while whatever is going to go on goes on. They show up and I have the Detective's unmarked car and 2 Trooper cars in the driveway. Out on the road is 2 more Trooper cars along with a K9 Unit van. This looks fantastic for the neighbors, LOL.

The other day when the Detective showed up again asking about this, we walked the property and I'm pointing things out, "Ah... we just butchered the chickens last weekend and buried the remains here..." LOL. So, the dog roamed around the yard a bit. I watched it pause at the spot I pointed out the other day, LOL. Then they took a break, played fetch a bit. Walked around again and were gone in about an hour and a half. The detective at that point when it was over walked over to all the neighbors and explained what was going on.

From that time forward, every piece of ground I freshly tilled up for a garden or dug up for some reason, the question was always answered, "Nope, didn't find the old girl." Years later we had the septic pumped. I came in after the truck left and first thing my wife asks is, "Find any bones down in there?"

Interesting as this is the only thing I can find on the internet and it states the case was updated in 2018.

https://charleyproject.org/case/doris-jean-stalker

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter