What has happened to kids school lunches?

The meager, tasteless meals started well before Mrs. Obama.

In order to save money, schools fired their actual cooking lunch ladies and moved onto vendors. Yes, there are still "lunch ladies", but most of them don't cook. They take food that was prepared at a facility, delivered by truck, and just serve it.

I would love to see schools move back to food made on the premises. But money talks. They would never pay people to be there in the early hours cooking, then serving, then cleaning. That would be 8 hours for sure. Then they would have to pay a living wage and benefits.
And THAT is the truth. The decline in the food served has been going on a long time while we weren't paying attention. When you see American school lunches compared to other countries we should be ashamed. But we do lip service to our children and finger pointing pretty well. Who was it that tried to call ketchup a vegetable again?

Who was it that tried to call ketchup a vegetable again?
Lol. I forgot about that!

From Wiki:

"The Omnibus Reconciliation Act of 1980,[1] signed into law by President Jimmy Carter, reduced the Federal School Lunch and Child Nutrition Programs budget by approximately eight percent.[3] Building upon these reductions, the Omnibus Reconciliation Act of 1981[2] (passed as the Gramm–Latta Budget) slashed the 1982 budget for the Federal School Lunch Program by an additional 25 percent.[3] To administer the requirements made by the acts, the USDA's Food and Nutrition Service (FNS) was tasked with proposing ways to implement the regulations while maintaining nutritional requirements for school lunches despite the lower funding.[4] Among the recommendations made in September 3, 1981[3] was a proposal to give local school lunch administrators flexibility in accrediting substitute food items that met FNS nutritional requirements and regulations. The report stated an item could not be counted as a bread that was not enriched or whole-grain, "but could credit a condiment such as pickle relish as a vegetable."

I feel like school lunches have always been bad? I never heard anyone (older or younger than me) ever "rave" about school lunches.

Currently, my kids have a pretty amazing lunch program. They get food from local restaurants - so "real pizza" on Fridays, chicken cutlet on a roll from the deli, real meatballs and pasta type stuff. Ok, maybe it's Italian heavy! :rotfl2:

There are definitely duds, but you can't win them all! It's also a school where there are volunteers and people making the lunches except for the times there are restaurant deliveries. Only catch is that there is 1 choice and that's it.

This is exactly it! Our school went from making some things from scratch to getting pre-packaged, processed, preserved crap as the main meal under Obama's Healthy, Hunger-free Kids Act. My kids won't eat lunch at school because it upsets their stomachs. I'm actually happy about that because I can provide a more nutritious lunch for them. The only positive from the program is that its provides fresh fruits and veggies. The rest of it is trash.
yeah I was served tasteless, oily, packaged stuff in the 1980s. So I think you may be off a bit...

My nephew attends a school where there are kids from families with huge differences in incomes, from very wealthy kids to children who struggle to get a decent meal. The school does not charge any child for meals, all are free to everyone and they serve breakfast and lunch as well as having a bagged "dinner" for kids who need to take something home. It's actually decent food, too. He's fortunate he has never had to worry about a meal in his life, and it's good to know his classmates don't have to, either. At least while they attend the school. And they do provide limited meals for kids during the summer, too.

All school breakfasts/lunches should be free.
Ok, I will bite.....why?

Is there no personal responsibility for the parents that are raising these children? Where does this stop, should the government feed all kids in college also, why not in their adulthood also?

People that need assistance should get that assistance to get back on their feet, but personal responsibility has to play some part of a functioning society.

Ok, I will bite.....why?

Is there no personal responsibility for the parents that are raising these children? Where does this stop, should the government feed all kids in college also, why not in their adulthood also?

People that need assistance should get that assistance to get back on their feet, but personal responsibility has to play some part of a functioning society.
Yes, parents have personal responsibility. HOWEVER, if a parent doesn't take responsibility, the one that get punished is the child. It is not their fault. Everyone deserves to eat, especially a child. A child should not be punished for the 'sins' of the parents. Do you think a child deserves to starve if they have irresponsible parents?

In order to save money, schools fired their actual cooking lunch ladies and moved onto vendors. Yes, there are still "lunch ladies", but most of them don't cook. They take food that was prepared at a facility, delivered by truck, and just serve it.

I would love to see schools move back to food made on the premises. But money talks. They would never pay people to be there in the early hours cooking, then serving, then cleaning. That would be 8 hours for sure. Then they would have to pay a living wage and benefits.
There is also the liability of having a kitchen in the school. Most commercial kitchens use gas-fired stoves and ovens, there commercial dishwashers that create huge amounts of steam, etc. The injury liability and the insurance necessary to protect schools and towns/cities from lawsuits is prohibitive. It's also a large part of why dedicated home ec and shop classrooms were removed.

I am always complimenting our lunch ladies because I know that their food is the only hot food some of our students get. We hover around the 60% poverty level, so I've seen kids run straight to the cafeteria for breakfast as they arrive in the mornings (and it's a jr/sr high!). Yes, there's not as much fat/fried items, but our small school has been creative. The kids are excited about most choices (although they do complain about fish on Fridays throughout the spring months.) Our nurse even worked with the cafe manager to work on providing more fresh fruit options.

My own kids went to a different, much larger district. The high school cafeteria was mind-blowing with the multiple lines and choices. To encourage them to take their lunch from home in high school, I offered their "lunch money" as an allowance. If they wanted school lunch, they could buy it. If they chose to take their lunch from home, they could keep the money. The frugal habits stuck; they still take their lunch to their jobs today.
Although I don’t think my kids ever ate in the HS cafeteria, that’s always been how it works here, here is your lunch money, spend it on lunch, or make your own lunch and keep the money. My 22 year old is doing clinicals at a hospital this summer, she has yet to see the cafeteria, pack her lunches every night (big on salads with grilled chicken and lots of cut up veggies). So many containers! Mt husband always brings lunch.

Most of our schools do not have facilities to cook food, we have vendors. I think our newest school was built in the 1950’s.

Yes, parents have personal responsibility. HOWEVER, if a parent doesn't take responsibility, the one that get punished is the child. It is not their fault. Everyone deserves to eat, especially a child. A child should not be punished for the 'sins' of the parents. Do you think a child deserves to starve if they have irresponsible parents?
Agreed it's not the child's fault, and I never want a child to go hungry. However, I would rather have systems in place that promote parents taking their personal responsibility more seriously. Feeding all children for free regardless of need of that service will create more dependency on the government for society to function. I believe society is best when government is more hands off and just sets the guardrails.

And THAT is the truth. The decline in the food served has been going on a long time while we weren't paying attention. When you see American school lunches compared to other countries we should be ashamed. But we do lip service to our children and finger pointing pretty well. Who was it that tried to call ketchup a vegetable again?
Yes, it was awful quality and unhealthy when I was a kid and it was the same when my (now adult) kids were in school too. One particular lunch my oldest and her friends would joke about was "Italian Dunkers"-- it was breadsticks to dip in tomato sauce, but when the school would run out of breadsticks they would just use hot dog buns. So that was the entree-- a plain stale hot dog bun. No protein, no vegetable other than the sauce. How could that possibly be a healthy meal for a teenager?

Ok, I will bite.....why?

Do you really think that making children literally starve is an effective method of teaching their parents personal responsibility?

Food should be available for free to all children. If you have the means to pay for it, then you do. But, children should not be turned away because they don't have any funds on their lunch account or money in their pocket to purchase something to eat.

I never understand punishing children for something that is their parent's fault or responsibility.

Ok, I remember "working" the lunch hour during junior high school where we sold frozen pizzas (heated up in a toaster oven / microwave), burritos (same thing), milk, candy, etc. I have no idea where the free or low cost lunches were offered, but it certainly wasn't in the small "kitchen" area that I worked at

NOTE: I got out of my class before lunch about 1/2 an hour before the end of the school period to get ready (walk, put on their little apron, get a little petty cash [like $5 in quarters and singles]). For this, I got $3-5 worth of free food for lunch...

when I would get my school lunch menus I never understood why they had foods like spaghetti and sloppy joes and on Fridays at my school they always had cheese pizza and I was forced to eat it because my mother always sent lunch money for me to get school lunch but I never ate all of it and I couldn't figure out why schools did this to school lunches when I was a little girl?
No meat on Fridays was the norm in public school because Catholics were not allowed to eat meat on Fridays. I remember a line of angry moms outside the Principal's on Friday when the menu listed hamburgers as the menu for that day. It was wrong. The actual menu was meatless or fish.

Has anyone ever looked at the federal reimbursement rate for school lunches? For a student who qualifies for a free lunch in the lower 48 the reimbursement is $3.93. For a nonfree or reduced lunch its $0.37. That has not significantly increased in the past decade with free lunches in 2013 being reimbursed at $3.10 and paid at $0.36.
Schools have to provide a meal that conforms to the federal school lunch program guidelines which have become stricter over the years (anyone remember when it was proposed that ketchup could be considered a vegetable).
But don't worry, there has been talk by one political party to do away with the school lunch program.
Well, the free lunches are a profit center for the Sacramento City Unified School district. Like $1 million a year in profit in a district with 40,000 students. Somehow they have found a way to produce the lunches that meet the requirements for less than the federal reimbursement.
It is such a profitable operation that they offer free lunch during the summer. That program started this past Monday.
And when I was working we used to get pleas from them to do stories on the free lunches because only about half the kids were signing up for them.
It's not going away since they make money on it. And for the past year, breakfast and lunch are now free for every student in California, with no need to sign up or show proof of income. I believe Maine also offers every student a free school lunch.
https://edsource.org/2021/free-school-meals-here-to-stay-in-california/658564
https://www.cde.ca.gov/ls/nu/sn/cauniversalmeals.asp

The situation with the free lunch program in most majority Title 1 districts is that it actually is more cost-effective to just give the program to every child instead of investing in staff time to do all the paperwork for individual sign-ups.

I went to an impoverished public school in the 1970's; we did have fresh lunches, and as it was South Louisiana, the food was quite tasty, but I'm sure that very little of it would pass today's Federal "healthy lunch" standards. It was cheap, filling food; the same stuff that Cajuns had been surviving on since they fled Canada. You always knew it was Monday when the school smelled of red beans & rice.

The lunch ladies tended to get locally creative with the ingredients they could get on a tight budget; our Friday staple was fish, all right, but most commonly a dish that very few people outside rural South Louisiana have ever encountered: Gar Sauce Piquant over rice. (Most fishermen will tell you that Gar is inedible; I'm living proof that it can be eaten, but even stewed in house-made tomato sauce it's not what I'd call tasty.)

I just looked, and this is a sample lunch menu from my old high school for a day last April; it's still made in-house, and the only thing that seems to have changed is that they have substituted salad for a larger amount of the main course. When I was there the measure was more like a 1/2 cup of beans/ham and a cup of rice, but we never got any kind of green salad.

Red Beans & Ham-2 oz.
Steamed Rice-1/2 cup
Romaine Salad w/ Ranch- 1 1/8 cup
Carrots Sticks 1/2 cup
Diced Pears- 1/2 cup
Cornbread Square-2 oz.
Milk Choice-8 oz.

Currently, my kids have a pretty amazing lunch program. They get food from local restaurants - so "real pizza" on Fridays, chicken cutlet on a roll from the deli, real meatballs and pasta type stuff. Ok, maybe it's Italian heavy! :rotfl2:

There are definitely duds, but you can't win them all! It's also a school where there are volunteers and people making the lunches except for the times there are restaurant deliveries. Only catch is that there is 1 choice and that's it.

how much is the lunch price for this type of school program?

No meat on Fridays was the norm in public school because Catholics were not allowed to eat meat on Fridays. I remember a line of angry moms outside the Principal's on Friday when the menu listed hamburgers as the menu for that day. It was wrong. The actual menu was meatless or fish.

in the mid 70's i remember a classmate questioning our junior high school principal on our school/our district practice of serving only fish on fridays during lent (no meatless which WAS offered on other days of the week). she was given the whole lent explanation which she countered with the fact that there were vegetarian students, some of whose diets was based on their religious beliefs and their needs were going unmet. got more of the same lent spiel so she pointed out that the local catholic schools did'nt even limit their friday lenten choices to fish-they did cheese pizza. principal seemed unimpressed and then got kind of frustrated when she launched into a whole separation of church and state line of thought. conversation ended when he said it was'nt up to him and that the school board made the decisions. she thanked him and directed her further efforts and inquiries to the school board-the following lenten period all the public schools in our district stopped doing fish during lent and we were all thrilled to have both cheese and pepperoni pizza offered on fridays.

I am always really interested in reading / seeing information about school lunches and your cafeteria. So different from here in Australia - we have school “canteens” but we do not provide free food. Children can order their lunches early in the morning that the canteen helpers then prepare and have ready when the lunch bell rings. Most times there is one paid staff that does all actual Food ordering etc but usually there is a student family member (or a number depending on how big the school is) comes in and mans the canteen for the day.

At our primary school (kinder to year 6) our canteen was usually one or two parents arriving at 9am (school starts at 8.50am) - the lunch orders are collected in each class and brought down for us to start preparing. These are bundled back into the crates at 11am for lunch. Our kids all sit outside in the fresh air under a shelter - they have to remain seated for the first 15mins then are free to play etc. canteen is then open for purchases of crisps, popcorn, ice blocks etc. When the lunch bell finishes the break at 12pm we close up and clean for the day as well as prepare the cash for banking. As our primary school was tiny (180 kids) teachers knew if someone was without food. We always cooked extra in case someone forgot their lunch order / was going without. I always threw in extra money at the end of the day to cover any of my kids’ purchases plus an amount for those less fortunate. Speaking to other canteen helpers they all tended to do the same as we knew all the families very well.

For our high school (years 7-10) the canteen remains open for afternoon recess which is 30mins at 1.30. Our daughter’s senior school (years 11-12) they have the same as well as a student operated cafe that opens from 7am as part of food technology courses.

It’s all so very different from what I read here and see online to the US.

how much is the lunch price for this type of school program?

in the mid 70's i remember a classmate questioning our junior high school principal on our school/our district practice of serving only fish on fridays during lent (no meatless which WAS offered on other days of the week). she was given the whole lent explanation which she countered with the fact that there were vegetarian students, some of whose diets was based on their religious beliefs and their needs were going unmet. got more of the same lent spiel so she pointed out that the local catholic schools did'nt even limit their friday lenten choices to fish-they did cheese pizza. principal seemed unimpressed and then got kind of frustrated when she launched into a whole separation of church and state line of thought. conversation ended when he said it was'nt up to him and that the school board made the decisions. she thanked him and directed her further efforts and inquiries to the school board-the following lenten period all the public schools in our district stopped doing fish during lent and we were all thrilled to have both cheese and pepperoni pizza offered on fridays.
Interesting because lent does not mean Catholics must eat fish. Only that they should not eat meat. We eat lots of Mac and cheese, pizza, eggs, veggies….you get the idea.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter