What happened to my magic?

Courtney (from Memphis)

Disney girl in the real world
I am a former collage program participant and loved both times I was able to work for the company (2010 & 2012). I fell in love with the magic and happiness that even the hottest and most crowded day would feel exciting. I have returned to WDW twice as a pure guest, full disclosure I would use my friends employee discount for rooms, but other than that paid full price for all else. I want to discuss and try to understand where the magic went.

My first time back in 2018 I went with my boyfriend. Just 2 adults. We stayed at Pop, as I used to work there, and I was disappointed that even with previous requests I did not get the building I had asked for (building 7) and instead was put in the 50's area. This wasn't a huge deal, but I was disappointed as I had asked several times and had been assured that that was an easy request. My boyfriend had never been to WDW and was disappointed in the entertainment when we arrived, however he was blown away by the fireworks! I had noticed on this trip that I was not greeted with my buttons (that were given to me grudgingly by a cast member) nor was I given many smiles. I had noted many times I was not greeted when entering a store or an attraction, and answers to questions were answered snidely. Overall though this trip was great!

Let me tell you about the last time we went. In June 2021 my boyfriend I and his parents went to WDW. This time we stayed in art of animation and got a sweet however that was a mistake. The main bed was great however the pull-down bed which I had assumed would be great for two adults was nothing but a hard piece of cardboard that was too small for two adults to sleep comfortably. It advertises that it can sleep up to six adults this is not true. I complained to Disney about this and you have yet to hear back. Now I understand that the pandemic has changed many things and Walt Disney world and I understand that many people have dealt with a big change. However to be rude to someone asking if they Liberty Bell is coming back soon or to be snide when a guest is asking whether merchandise of a certain brand is in the store. I was shocked the amount of times I cast member would be sarcastic or rude even. The mobile order was slow anytime we wanted to eat we had to think in advance and this was not fun for a party of four. I saved the worst for last I used to work in attractions I know the difference between fastpass line and stand by line I know how it works. I know that there is a ratio that the person must follow however I also know how wheelchair guests are supposed to be loaded into the queue wheelchair guest do not get to skip the line. When I was waiting for Peter Pan which is a ride I used to work on. I watched over 20 groups of wheelchair families not small four group families we're talking over 10 people each group walk from the entrance on to the ride while I was still standing there for over 15 minutes. I know Peter Pan has a long wait I used to work there I know I've seen the 60 minute wait however that was with fastpass what happened why is wheelchair preferred over stand by line a wheelchair is just an accessible line what happened????? Working for Disney has given me a great opportunity to understand where the highest level of commitment to service and guest satisfaction. What happened to my Disney world? I want it back.

Now I'm not trying to be negative, but I would love to know why my whole trip was not magical? There were other negative thing (line skippers, overflowing trash cans, locked doors to the food court, ect.) But I'm willing to blame all that on guests or COVID-19. My magic comes from the cast and how they treat me.

I think we are being re- trained as cast and guest… Currently the vibe is to discourage actual guest interactions . This was felt immediately upon return to resorts. And it is surprising. Oh well Anything to keep the parks open. Don’t ever want to see closed entry ever again.
New system is causing more different problems because I still see lines everywhere. And unhappy guests. At Disney.

I am currently at Universal today and it is packed and crowded but having zero expectations is working…Can’t explain it !

Last edited:
I think you need the read the threads in the news sections how WDW is currently extremely understaffed and the staff they do have is overworked.
I am not an expert but there have been a lot of changes over the years with DAS passes. As I understand it, if a regular guest has to wait one hour to ride, then a guest in a wheelchair (or whatever DAS-reason they have) also has to wait one hour. They get a return time from the CM.

Sorry to burst your bubble, but if you go read the threads in the news section: You are not getting the old WDW back.

I expected different. I am up on every new story and closing. I was not ready for sarcastic cast, unhelpful answers to simple questions (where is the end of the line? Cm: somewhere down there just keep walking.) I was sad to see that the cast who were helpful were not often. I even had an issue with check in and was told multiple times by the check in cast member (no red ribbon). It's my first day so I don't know.

I expected different. I am up on every new story and closing. I was not ready for sarcastic cast, unhelpful answers to simple questions (where is the end of the line? Cm: somewhere down there just keep walking.) I was sad to see that the cast who were helpful were not often. I even had an issue with check in and was told multiple times by the check in cast member (no red ribbon). It's my first day so I don't know.
no discounts for that kind of service either, I imagine?

I would not ask for a discount. I was offered by my friends to book rooms via the hub, but I don't ask for special treatment or ask to be special, just simple questions like when can I start ordering food from the food court in the morning and where we can park.

Out if curiosity and honest question, why do you think your expectations were different, when reading the news about the state of the park/CMs. What made you think 'it cannot be that bad'? (I assume you thought that before going)

My thoughts were in the line of the overall story I was hearing is that cast members were happy to be back and the guest experience was great. The lines I expected, other than the overabundance of wheelchair guests in the popular attractions, (seriously it felt like fast pass that was just unattainable). I was shocked by the sarcasm that cast would give me. Even to the point I was wondering if I was being the guest I didn't like, but I could not think of anything I was doing to annoy the cast. I am just sad that my Disney, the happiest place on earth, no longer seems so happy.

Was just at WDW and Wheelchair and ECV guests DO NOT GET FASTPASS benefits!!! We do however - just for a few rides - get DAS like accommodations where we are given a return time based on the regular queue wait time. For Small World, we do have an alternative queue but you still wait at the bottom of the ramp approx the same # of minutes as standby. And I’ve been to WDW 5 times since they opened after last summer…this has been my experience each visit…

Yeah, if you had only read/heard the positive stories, then I can understand the negatives come in twice as hard.

For the DAS-people with a return time similar to your queuing. I have had trips in the past where there seemed more people using DAS than on other trips. Probably that's just a coincidence. I can imagine, because people using DAS sometimes need more time, travel at a slower pace, they prefer to visit before the Summer crowds come in.

The attitude of the CMs, it either has to be that they are overworked / not worked in properly, or indeed something you said/asked. If those were my two options, I would prefer to believe the first. As I like to think of myself as a nice, reasonable guest ;-)
Maybe it will improve in a few months when Disney has hired enough people again (and starts paying them properly ;-) ) to manage the amount of guests Disney has decided to let in.
I'd say, let it go and hope for the best in the future.

My thoughts were in the line of the overall story I was hearing is that cast members were happy to be back and the guest experience was great. The lines I expected, other than the overabundance of wheelchair guests in the popular attractions, (seriously it felt like fast pass that was just unattainable). I was shocked by the sarcasm that cast would give me. Even to the point I was wondering if I was being the guest I didn't like, but I could not think of anything I was doing to annoy the cast. I am just sad that my Disney, the happiest place on earth, no longer seems so happy.
At first easing back into operations Cast was happy to be greeting folks back, and in general for a time people were being a bit more understanding with each other and changes in operations around them whatever the business. Then the hot crowded mess at WDW came this summer where misery can become contagious. I'm wondering what effect that played on CMs, being worked very hard often in uncomfortable weather and dealing with a much higher percent of unhappy guests. Maybe they got worn down? Moral lowered? I'm sorry to hear your experience was subpar. From reports on the boards looks like some were happy to have the chance to go; some regretted not postponing this summer.

I want to believe this, so I am assume the cast member in charge of the ratio was negligent. I am not exaggerating when I say I watched over 50 wheelchair guest walk on the attraction right in front of us. While we waited for 20 minutes (at the rope next to go not the entire cue). I knew it wasn't right, so I was upset and so was my family.

The wheelchair/Peter Pan ride thing is a weird thing to complain about, IMO. Seems like there was probably an extenuating circumstance that made it necessary for all those folks to enter the ride at one time.

The rest seems like the results of overworked/understaffed CMs. Sorry you had a bad experience and I hope during your next trip you find "magic", whatever that means for you.

The scary thing is this "unhappiness" was there when we went in 2018 and I didn't notice untill I was fortune to visit Disneyland. I noticed that cms were unhappy in comparison.
I am sure much of it is attributed to being overworked and just the general stress associated with the pandemic, but I will say that I had been noticing a little less of the "magic" among cast members over the last couple of our pre-COVID visits. Most cast members were still friendly and doing their jobs well, but some just did seem to lack enthusiasm and some were visibly bothered or rude.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter