• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

What GIFTS can I bring back to dd's 3rd Grade class?????

SandraC

Longs for the feeling of sandy salt water in her k
Hi, I would like to bring back gifts for dd's 3rd grade class from WDW, but WHAT? Last year, we just bought necklaces for dd's 3 closest friends and a Mickey pin for her teacher.

This year, I would love to get something for the class. What can I get? Are their Mickey cookies or something like that? The teacher is easy, always nice things to pick up for her. But what can I get for 25 kids!?!?!?!?!?!

THANKS! Sandra

I teach, and a year or so ago I found a bag that had 24 (or so) small glow-in-the-dark flat plastic heads of Mickey, Minnie, Pluto, etc. I think they were about $3 a bag, and they were a real hit with my class! That was the time that I asked a CM for some extra stickers, and he gave me two rolls! I'm still using those for treats!!

52 days to go

In the countries at Epcot you can get a "dream tale" star. I got 25 from the CM at Germany in-tact - not with the star punched out. Then dd went to each country and the CM wrote the word "dream" in the language of the country. We used her star as a model and sent the 25 blank ones to her first grade class. They were a big hit! My dd and I did a little letter describing the country in 1-2 sentences and the way to write "dream" in each language. The class and my dd loved it. You will see what I mean when you visit the "kidcot" stations at epcot, also it was free!
Enjoy
TJ

I always take back stickers and send postcards to my class. Of course there are only 7 in the class this year.

We did find Micky Shaped cookies, candy and crackers at the World of Disney. They aslo had these tiny pre-shrank wash clothes that were pretty cheap. We only got one not thinking it could be much. When we got home and wet it, the wash cloth was real cute with Tigger and the words WDW on it. I can't remember though how much they were. They also had pencils and stickers and erasers. I got postcards for my class too.They were .50 each.We found the best ideas and even some SALES at the World of Disney.

Jordan's mom

Hi There,
I don't want to sound cold and unfeeling, but why would you want to bring back items FOR THE WHOLE CLASS??? What are you trying to prove?? Accomplish?? Become?? With this kind of extravagence???

I would say just bring back items for your child's friends and maybe the teacher, too. Unexpected giving is awkward and can make people feel indebted or obligated.

I say save your money and bring souveigners back for the ones who would appreciate them...

:confused:

Some people like to give for no other reason than give something! Each year we go to visit my mom in Florida and go to a beach to collect shark's teeth. In the past I usually find enough to make up enough bags to give to each child in my kids class. ( and if I don't my Step dad has a huge can from years of collecting I can use) It goes along with show and tell. We also give the teacher a bag with the really big ones and extra things we find neat little jaw bones and stuff...My kids love it and so do the kids that get them..has nothing to do with "proving" accomplishment" etc....
I think if we didnt' head to this beach I would bring back some type of food, for class snack.

Gee, I can't speak for others but personally I am not trying to prove anything nor am I extravagent. We are just sharing a great experience with DD's class. As Spinning mentioned we also made it part of show & tell. Dosen't have to be expensive and can be a great learning experience. In fact our "class gift" cost nothing but dd learning to write the word "dream" in several different languages and teaching her class. On our Clearwater Beach trip dd's collected seashells and we also made a "goodie" bag for both classes. It consisted of some sand, seawater and a shell. It was my dd (7 yo's) idea to share a beach in a bag.

I also don't "expect" anyone else to do or bring for the class but in our experience many do. Some spend more than I do but that's their decision.

I agree with both sides on this idea. And I also think this is a matter of personal opinion. I also have thought of picking up something for a class I volunteer for. I volunteer 3 times a week for a first grade class. I got involved with my daughter being in another 1st grade class. I go in to help them to learn to read. I have grown somewhat fond of some and I thought I would maybe look at the book store at DTD. Now I do not plan to spend a fortune in now way or if I even do this. I just thought it would be great to maybe give a gift of something to read and give me alittle smile to hear some of them read a book to me. Just a thought.

I once saw a family using a penny press that had a basic Mickey head to make a penny for each child in the class. It's only $.51 for each penny.

Dr happy How could a cookie or pencil or sticker make you feel awkward, obligated or inbebted? She stated it was to be a small item like a cookie:confused: :confused: As a teacher I can tell you many many parents send in treats throoughout the years and I have never had anyone tell me they felt indebted. As a matter of fact I doubt the parents will ever even know as kids tend to eat or use up these type of gifts and kids never feel obligated just appreciative. Be happy- enjoy gifts becasue i can tell you the giver enjoys giving!:D

Oh, I am not against "token" items, particularly a "cookie" or "teaching others to say a word in 7 languages." I am, however, opposed to extravagent gifting, the kind that I have seen in schools in the North East and the South East...

Case in point: A family (of some affluence) at one of my schools (the highest achieving elementary school in North Carolina - and a public school, I am proud to say...) brought back "goodie bags" that consisted of a pewter Disney collectable, a Disney "school essentials pack" in the shape of a small backpack (pencils, ruler, notepad, erasers, stickers, etc.), Mickey chocolate bars, a miniature statuette of the Contemporary Resort, and a picture of the vacationing child's whole family eating at a character lunch. Now tell me that isn't extravagent???!!!???

When the parent was asked by my colleague about the excessive nature of the gift, the parent replied, "But my child WANTED to do that..." Knowing the child as we did, we were surprised as she is about the most reticent child there is... But Mom & Dad, on the other hand, are two of the most status-conscious and materialistic individuals you have ever encountered. Why drive any car but a Jaguar?? Because it doesn't convey the kind of status like the Jaguar does... Should I go on????? (So the elaborate gifting was more a dynamic of the parents, not the child...)

Doing such things explicitly and implicitly conveys to others what you have done, what they have not done, and is a socialized (i.e., meaning "more acceptable") way of flaunting. Now, try doing that in a "poorer" school (i.e., meaning "lower income families") and you will get a more pronounced response...

And the original poster happened to mention bringing back necklaces. For the entire class?? With all due respect to the original poster, I feel compelled to say "Come on people, let's keep this within some semblance of reason!!!!"

As the poster had mentioned these items were purchased for only a few friends last year. I pray the "voice of reason" will hopefully make itself known in the not-to-distant-future about the current desire to bring back something...

Let's keep the purchases in line with reason and in respect of others who can't return the favor. And if you don't feel awkward in receiving something from some individuals sometime, particularly from someone you don't particularly like, then you must be practicing the age old addage of "not looking a gift horse in the mouth..."

Please pass the Pepto...

:rolleyes:

If bringing each child in the class a small token from your trip is what you want to do then by all means, do it. I hope that you succeed in finding a reasonably priced item. It's lovely to teach your child that she is fortunate and to include her classmates in the vacation experience.

Hi, thanks for all your replies. Let's get back my original question of what to bring back for my dd's 3rd grade class please.

Now, tell me about these Mickey cookies? How many in a package? What size are they? I was thinking bring back cookies and I would love to pick up "Dream" stars from Epcot, the kids would just love those! I read about Mickey shaped pasta, are they good for crafts? What else????? I am looking for somethings that aren't going to take up too much space as we are flying.

I love these kids soooo much. I have been volunteering in dd's school since kindergarten, 4 years now! I've watched these wonderful children grow up! We have a lovely school with great families. We appreciate each other very much.

When I was in school on Friday, the teacher, dd and I chatted about a project of dd making a video for the class. I printed a list of animals that are at AK for dd to check off ~ the animals will be a big hit with the class. Since we are staying at CSR, she will video tape the Dig Site and we'll even make up a little questionnaire for the class. dd's is already writing her video plan, it's so cute and the kids will love it! I told the teacher that we'll make the video educational and not too much "here's is dd with Mickey!" The teacher laughed and wants to see dd with Mickey!

We are so lucky to have such wonderful friends, teachers, staff and volutneers at our school. I would do anything for them. We share mutual love and respect.

So please KEEP THOSE IDEAS COMING!!!! Only 14 more days! THANKS ALL!

In the food court at the resorts they have Mickey shaped straws for 35 cents. I took some home to give to my DS friends at his birthday party that was just a few weeks away. Michelle

Hi Sandra C,

ABOUT THOSE COOKIES, we found a couple different things that might work. DD had boxes of fancy gormet type cookies with enough in a box for a class. We also found in the parks, single serve bags of character shaped cookies. Theses are a lot like animal crackers. They also had mickey shaped pretzels in these type bags. They were under a dollar each. My 3rd grade DS ended up getting this big bag of sweet tarts with goofy stamped on them. A couple dollars I think. I would have had no problem buying nicer gifts for his class if it had been in our budget. His public school has such a mix of different children. There are children from affluent homes down to children new to our country with families with very low income. Most fall in the middle. How sad that parents want to use gifts as status symbols. There are several parents of children in DS class that often buy treats for the children with the stipulation that the children or parents aren't told who they are from. The morning we spent buying gifts for others was one of my favorite things at WDW. Buy what you are comfortable buying.

Jordan's mom
(The other Sandra C)

The gift shops sell bags of mickey shaped pretzels. They're cute and not too expensive. Have fun Sandra.

I just purchased cookies for my daughter's class 3 weeks ago. I bought 2 boxes of Mickey shaped vanilla cream cookies (think Oreo but vanilla). They were $3.50 per box I think.

My feeling was this - she missed a week of school which her teachers were totally fine with (just preschool mind you) and all her little friends knew she was at Disney. So, we thought it would be nice to bring back a little something - key word - little. The Mickey pretzels were also in the running but DD decided on the cookies. They had the cookies for snack the day she got back and the teachers sent home a little note saying thanks and welcome back.

If the video for the class was actually limited to animals at AK, I can see how that might be OK, but if "other" material gets filmed, i.e., cousin Zev on the Dumbo ride, Aunt Barbara in line for Haunted Mansion, Grandpa Tibor resting by a flower stand on Main Street, I as a parent would definitely have objections about it...

In all due respect to the original poster, I see very little relevency in having your home movies occupy the instructional time in a child's class. If you could actually keep the movie entirely on animals at AK that might be alright, but I really don't see how you could easily do that, unless you change tapes frequently or use a different camcorder...

Again, it just sounds like another example of "Hey everyone! Let's ALL WATCH how much fun my family had at Disney World!!!"

Forgive me, but that sounds very tacky...

:confused:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter