• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

What generation Canadian, American, Italian are you?

On my Daddy's side, 12 great grandfathers is Samuel Fuller, 12 year old who came over on the Mayflower. Also descended from Creek on Daddy's side and Cherokee on Mama's side. My family has been here in Georgia since the early 1800s and surprisingly, we still have family books and papers.

Mom's side = Full German as far back as records can possibly go.
I'm the first male in my Mom's lineage to be born not 100% German.
Dad's side = Scots/Irish, came to the U.S. in the early 1700's, with a little more German and some Native American tossed in for diversity.

The first came over on The Mayflower, followed soon after by more. The latest we have traced came here in the early 1700s. So we’ve been here quite a while.

My mom's side they came from Ireland (grandfather) and Germany (grandmother) in the late 1800s. As for my dad's side I have no idea.

These things confuse me. My mother's parents were not born here but became citizens I think before she was born. My father's parents were born here so one generation older on that side. I think that makes me 2nd/3rd generation American. My husband's parents came here and were citizens before he was born so not sure if that makes him 1st or 2nd.

2nd generation Italian American on both sides. Great grandpa came over via Ellis island and worked on the ships going back and forth to Italy. The family came over after ww2 and settled in the lower east side (little Italy) of manhattan.
No clue about dh’s family but he has roots in Canada.

It’s a real mixed bag. My grand parents all trace their roots to a single country (Germany, England, Scotland, and Scotland). 3 born here (USA), 1 immigrant. I’m anywhere from 2nd (Scotland) to 6th gen (Germany), depending on grandparent.

Genuine question..

Why is it such a big deal to have ancestors that were on the Mayflower? I’m not singling anyone out but there have been quite a few people on this thread and others in the past who have proudly made the claim.

To me, it seems like the Mayflower would have to be bigger than the Titanic to house everyone who allegedly came over at the time.

Last edited:
I'm second generation Irish on my father's side. Both of his parents came over on the boat from Ireland through Ellis Island. I don't know when my mother's family came here from England.

Genuine question..

Why is it such a big deal to have ancestors that were on the Mayflower? I’m not singling anyone out but there have been quite a few people on this thread and others in the past who have proudly made the claim.

To me, it seems like the Mayflower would have to be bigger than the Totanic to house everyone who allegedly came over at the time.
According to Google there were 102 passengers and 30'ish crew members on the Mayflower. That seems like a very small number but not being a mathematician, I can't vouch whether it is or isn't enough to have produced all the descendants who make the claim.

According to Google there were 102 passengers and 30'ish crew members on the Mayflower. That seems like a very small number but not being a mathematician, I can't vouch whether it is or isn't enough to have produced all the descendants who make the claim.

Maybe there’s a lot of people who are related and don’t know it. Either that or there’s a very small gene pool if you get my drift.

D.A.R on my paternal Grandmother's side... Irish/English/Scottish.... not on the Mayflower, I think it was the Truelove in 1635. My great-great grandfather came over from Germany sometime in the early 1800's.

Second Generation on my Mother's side. My maternal Grandmother and Grandfather came through Ellis Island from Sweden, early 1900's.

if you are interested, there were over 250 ships that made the voyage between 1602 and 1635. A site giving some history and a link to a site that lists the ships and the passengers, you can search with either.

History:
https://www.familytree.com/blog/pilgrim-ships-passengers/

lists
https://www.packrat-pro.com/ships/shipnames.htm

Mom's side 2nd generation imports from Canada - Halifax/PEI

Dad's side 3rd generation (GM)Italy/ (GF)Ireland

I am second generation American. All of my grandparents were born in Poland and came to America in the nineteen teens. They themselves were in their teens when they came to America, all through Ellis Island.

All of my grandparents were born in the US, so I am at least third generation American. I think at least 2 of my great grandparents were born elsewhere.

Genuine question..

To me, it seems like the Mayflower would have to be bigger than the Totanic to house everyone who allegedly came over at the time.

I've never understood it, either, particularly since the Mayflower wasn't even close to the first group of European or English settlers in what later became the USA and half those who landed died the first year (further reducing the pool of available ancestors). It's kind of like all the people I meet in Texas who claim to have had ancestors at the Alamo...I don't challenge them, and it may well be true, but given how that battle ended I do point out that it's good that their ancestors were conceived beforehand and kept offsite. I did meet somebody who claimed to have an ancestor at the Alamo, but on the--ahem, winning side--and that always gave me a chuckle. No idea if it was true.

Fpr the record, my Great-six-times-removed grandparents were in the Republic of Texas by 1835 but were nowhere near the Alamo or any other significant historical event. They were farming and apparently trying to keep their heads down.

Most of my great-grandparents were born in Germany, so fourth generation for me. My maternal grandmother was the last German-speaking family member I had.

The first came over on The Mayflower, followed soon after by more. The latest we have traced came here in the early 1700s. So we’ve been here quite a while.

Do you know the name? We traced our roots and name for name trace my great grandmother straight up to Samuel Fuller, not the uncle but the 12 year old whose parents both died that first winter. Maybe we're related!

Genuine question..

I'm one of the ones you mentioned. There were two of us, and I don't feel like either of us 'proudly' proclaimed it. We answered a question you asked when you started the thread.

Half of the passengers on that boat died the first winter and the other half, had children who had children who had children etc. I can trace the names 12 generations back to a passenger and I find it interesting and would love to know more. It doesn't take many people to spawn 100s of thousands of descendants. And quite frankly, I believe I may have read there are MILLIONS who can trace their ancestors back to the Mayflower group.

I can also trace my roots directly to William Wallace of Scotland but so can millions of others.:groom: Most folks can trace back to Kings and Queens and all sorts. I believe the further back you go, the fewer people were living on earth so in essence, we're probably all related!

Last edited:
I've never understood it, either, particularly since the Mayflower wasn't even close to the first group of European or English settlers in what later became the USA and half those who landed died the first year (further reducing the pool of available ancestors). It's kind of like all the people I meet in Texas who claim to have had ancestors at the Alamo...I don't challenge them, and it may well be true, but given how that battle ended I do point out that it's good that their ancestors were conceived beforehand and kept offsite. I did meet somebody who claimed to have an ancestor at the Alamo, but on the--ahem, winning side--and that always gave me a chuckle. No idea if it was true.

Fpr the record, my Great-six-times-removed grandparents were in the Republic of Texas by 1835 but were nowhere near the Alamo or any other significant historical event. They were farming and apparently trying to keep their heads down.

Interesting point about the Alamo -I’m sure the odds of being a descendant of the winning side must be WAY higher LOL

Most of my great-grandparents were born in Germany, so fourth generation for me. My maternal grandmother was the last German-speaking family member I had.

My grandfather was 4th generation American, but as a child was only permitted to speak German in the house.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter