What exactly is so bad about the pirate night food, and is anything good?

Is it bad? No, but I think it could also be a lot better.

This is when I wish Disney had better alternative options for dinner. Some nights the menu is just okay or you just don't feel like having a sit down meal. So then your options are:

1. Speciality dining (which if you don't feel like a sit down MDR meal, you aren't gonna go to Palo)
2. Room service
3. Pool bar food

I wish the buffet was open or there were other quick service options. I know rotational dining is a big reason people sail with (and pay for) Disney, but sometimes it is nice to just have a laid back dinner that isn't a sit down but also a little nicer than a cheeseburger by the pool.

I enjoy the pirate night food. I like the samosas, wedge salad, all the entrees are petty decent (jerk chicken is probably my favorite), and I’m not a huge dessert person so don’t have any strong preference there.

But I still advocate for skipping pirate night if you want to do an adult only dinner because unless you are concierge you can’t be guaranteed a specific rotation. And while there are some menus I like less than pirate menu, there are some other menus that are can’t miss for me, and booking palo on pirate night avoids me missing out on my favorites, or worse, a dinner show.

I think it has the worst appetizer and dessert selections of any menu DCL has. Main course, there's always a beef or chicken option (I don't eat seafood) I can have, but there's no app or dessert that appeals to me. Therefore, it is an easy choice to make it our Palo night. Besides - unpopular opinion coming - I'm not a fan of pirate night as a whole. I think it's time has come and gone and should be updated to something new.
for me it had the best desserts, the rum cake, macadamia one.. all amazing

I enjoy the pirate night food. I like the samosas, wedge salad, all the entrees are petty decent (jerk chicken is probably my favorite), and I’m not a huge dessert person so don’t have any strong preference there.

But I still advocate for skipping pirate night if you want to do an adult only dinner because unless you are concierge you can’t be guaranteed a specific rotation. And while there are some menus I like less than pirate menu, there are some other menus that are can’t miss for me, and booking palo on pirate night avoids me missing out on my favorites, or worse, a dinner show.
I think that's a very fair point, if one is planning Palo/Remy dinner. I'd definitley not want to miss some other things. We don't/havent done that, yet, so it hasn't been a problem for us.

I love the Johnny cake. I could just eat the Johnny cake all night.

Other than that, the crab cake is fine. I’ve never found a main that’s great, and I don’t like any of the desserts. I’m also allergic to pineapple which rules out a couple of things.

Normally I book Palo on Pirate Night. My outfit is just a dress and a belt so it’s fine for Palo anyway.

I definitely think they could update Pirate Night at this point.

We like the samosas, mango soup, and noodles. We’ve also never understood the vitriol focused on this menu. For us that should be focused towards Enchanted Garden, which we find particularly flavorless in its execution.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter