What Else to Do After a Port Canaveral Cruise

Husker Mike

DIS Veteran
We have three days after our July cruise before we fly home. We're already thinking two days at the Disney parks, and have a DVC reservation (Grand Floridian) already in place for those three nights. But we're thinking about maybe only spending two days at the parks, and doing something else the day we get off the boat. Racing through customs and luggage retrieval, while trying to figure out Genie+/Lightning Lane while disembarking to try to get to Disney World by mid/late-morning doesn't seem like a lot of fun. Our family has been to Universal (a couple of us twice) and Disney World the last couple of years, so we're wondering what else we might do. Two thoughts that popped to mind were one of the water parks (it is July after all) or the Kennedy Space Center. And a third day at the parks isn't out of the question...just not sure whether we want to spring for a three day ticket or do something else.

The only thing we've ruled out is Universal; we went back and forth between picking Disney or Universal, and chose Disney.

We went to the space center before a cruise a few years ago and I have to say, it was actually one of the highlights of our trip. We all just absolutely loved it and spent the day there. So if you're at all interested, I highly recommend it. Super fun!

Kennedy Space Center would be my first choice.

If your kids are young (under 10 or so) then Legoland might be fun. It's farther from the port than WDW, but doesn't require nearly as much planning.

SeaWorld is almost on the way between the port and Walt Disney World.

Kennedy Space Center would be my first choice.

If your kids are young (under 10 or so) then Legoland might be fun. It's farther from the port than WDW, but doesn't require nearly as much planning.

SeaWorld is almost on the way between the port and Walt Disney World.
Agree w Kennedy.

See world is another good choice. Aquatica might also be an option if you haven't been there before.

Disney Springs could also be an option. It's still 'Disney,' but you can show up whenever (so no stress about Lightning Lane/Genie+). Lots of good food, fun shops, and live music every night. It's free to get in (and to park), so you only pay for food and any souvenirs you buy. :)

We have three days after our July cruise before we fly home. We're already thinking two days at the Disney parks, and have a DVC reservation (Grand Floridian) already in place for those three nights. But we're thinking about maybe only spending two days at the parks, and doing something else the day we get off the boat. Racing through customs and luggage retrieval, while trying to figure out Genie+/Lightning Lane while disembarking to try to get to Disney World by mid/late-morning doesn't seem like a lot of fun. Our family has been to Universal (a couple of us twice) and Disney World the last couple of years, so we're wondering what else we might do. Two thoughts that popped to mind were one of the water parks (it is July after all) or the Kennedy Space Center. And a third day at the parks isn't out of the question...just not sure whether we want to spring for a three day ticket or do something else.

The only thing we've ruled out is Universal; we went back and forth between picking Disney or Universal, and chose Disney.
We were really impressed with Kennedy Space Center. We found a transportation company that took us there, held our luggage, and then drove us to the resort. Sorry, I forgot the name. Also, look to see if a launch is occurring the day you visit. It is amazing to experience.

We were really impressed with Kennedy Space Center. We found a transportation company that took us there, held our luggage, and then drove us to the resort. Sorry, I forgot the name. Also, look to see if a launch is occurring the day you visit. It is amazing to experience.
Was resort in Orlando?
Just wondering how much it would cost.
Thanks!

Racing through customs and luggage retrieval, while trying to figure out Genie+/Lightning Lane while disembarking to try to get to Disney World by mid/late-morning doesn't seem like a lot of fun.
In reality, you won't be racing through customs or luggage retrieval. You'll be doing a lot of standing around or moving in a line. The ride from Port Canaveral to WDW will take well over an hour so there is plenty of time to make plans

We love the water parks, so that idea sounds fun to me! So does Kennedy space center though.

We already plan on having a rental car because we learned the hard way that Disney transportation is painfully slow and now expensive as well. And I happened to catch a launch from Universal (waiting for my son to get off of Velocicoaster), and that was pretty amazing to watch from 50 miles away.

Mini golf at one of Disney's three Minigolf courses. WinterSummerland course is right next to Blizzard Beach

Another vote for the Kennedy Space Center. If that doesn't appeal to you, then either a water park or Disney Springs.

There also are several malls and outlets in the area. Since you have a rental, you could spend time shopping at those.

Kennedy, water-parks, Merritt Island National Wildlife Refuge. Disney Springs. exploring cocoa beach and the spacecoast beaches. resort hopping for lunch- all fun things to do with the extra time. Have a great vacation and cruise!

Orlando resident here. We actually vacation in cocoa beach for two weeks every summer. I have lots of recommendations:

Activities:

Route 7 Adrenaline Wharehouse - Lots of fun. It's an indoor arcade, zip line, laser tag, go kart place. My kids love it

Brevard Zoo

Indian River Lagoon Manatees - more likely to see the manatees during the warmer months

Lighthouse Cove Mini Golf

Golf N Gator Go Karts and Mini Golf

Restaurants:

Grills Waterfront Restaurant - right at the port

Pineapple Point - So good. Get the cheesesteak!

Sunrise Diner - Amazing diner food. You're not going here for the service, the food is amazing.

Island Tea and Boba - we usually go twice LOL

Another vote de Kennedy space center. No recent experience (I last did the tour as a kid over 30 years ago) but looks great online, I have great reviews and I am planning to do the tour on Memorial Day between getting off our 3 night cruise (we will do express walk off) and our 7 PM flight out of MCO. We will have a rental car that trip so not worried about arranging transportation.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter