What do you think you remembered for when you die?

:flower3: May I respectfully ask why? I worked in funeral service for a time and I've never heard of anyone being interred anonymously. I'm not critical, just curious.

I made two identical varnished boxes painted with yellow roses (her favorite flower) for my Mom's ashes, one for my sister and one for me. Neither of us liked the urns the funeral home had on offer. Too...er, urn-like. We each got half of her ashes, which was what she wanted. There's a plaque on the front engraved with her name and dates on each. Many years ago when I decided that this was what I wanted, to be put in there with her, I didn't want to take away from her container by putting another plaque on in an awkward place. As time went on I realized that I didn't need to be marked so long as I was with her. I would like to be remembered for a time, then to fade away into family lore.

My family is insisting that I have a plaque though, when we were talking about it at the dinner table yesterday (no, it wasn't a morbid subject, the dining room just happens to be where we keep the family's ashes. We call it The Shrine :D). I guess when I'm dead I won't care, but my express wishes are written down and with my sister so she can fight for me if I go first.

I would hope to be remembered as being there whenever someone needed my help, the memories and things I did with and for my nieces and nephews.

I made two identical varnished boxes painted with yellow roses (her favorite flower) for my Mom's ashes, one for my sister and one for me. Neither of us liked the urns the funeral home had on offer. Too...er, urn-like. We each got half of her ashes, which was what she wanted. There's a plaque on the front engraved with her name and dates on each. Many years ago when I decided that this was what I wanted, to be put in there with her, I didn't want to take away from her container by putting another plaque on in an awkward place. As time went on I realized that I didn't need to be marked so long as I was with her. I would like to be remembered for a time, then to fade away into family lore.

My family is insisting that I have a plaque though, when we were talking about it at the dinner table yesterday (no, it wasn't a morbid subject, the dining room just happens to be where we keep the family's ashes. We call it The Shrine :D). I guess when I'm dead I won't care, but my express wishes are written down and with my sister so she can fight for me if I go first.
:laughing: Hey, it doesn't seem morbid to me. I interned to be a funeral director - I could talk about this stuff all day long! :goodvibes And as for alternate containers that give a more personal touch, they're very common. When I was working at the funeral home the most unique one I saw was a guy that suffered a fatal heart-attack on the dance floor of a local cowboy bar. He was inurned in the boots he was wearing and everybody was very impressed at the idea!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter