• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

What Do YOU think Walt Would Be Most and Least Proud Of?

WaltD4Me

<font color=royalblue>PS...I tried asking for wate
I loved the segement on the Email show about what Walt would be most and least proud of today with Disney? I often wonder what Walt would think of things (very Disney geek I know) but alot times when I see new attraction or even a new movie, I wonder what Walt would think of this?

I think Walt would be most proud of how his ideas are still around, how they've have been built upon, enchanced and are still so beloved today. Pirates of the Carribbean, Small World, Haunted Mansion, ect...more than 50 years after his death. I think he'd be blown away that they created 3 movies and an entire franchise from his ride Pirates of the Caribbean.

I think he would be least proud of how some things in general have been
"cheapened." The homogenization of souvenirs, the training program being cut, the outsourcing, that kind of thing.

I wholeheartedly agree. I'd like to add that I believe he would also be proud of the fact that Disney still reaches all ages. It is still someplace "Daddy can go with his girls" and equally enjoy it. I also think he'd be proud of Animal Kingdom, especially the safari. Close to what he wanted to do with the Jungle Cruise.

I also agree he wouldn't be too fond of the homogenization of things. And as much as I love Epcot. I'm not sure if he'd be a fan of that park. It seems to have drifted away somewhat from the futuristic side of technology. I could be way off but I think that would be closer to his true wishes for that park.

I am excited to see there is a thread about my email! More research for me :)

I find Walt's vision to be very interesting as well. I have found so many books talking about it. One book even talks about the counterculture. I might end up reading all of these books just for fun! (dorky I know)

I thought it would always be fun to tour the parks with Walt and hear all of the things he had to say and to just see his reaction to the World he dreamed up.

Thanks for your input guys :)

Yes I loved this segment too, good paper topic Missy! I agree that Walt would be disappointed in the outsourcing, the selling of his land and in the cheapened training for the workers. I also totally agreed with whoever (was it Kevin?) that mentioned that he would be disappointed in the lack of imagineering in areas of the parks like Dinoland in AK or even Paradise Pier in DCA. Although some things are fun there, I don't think they show the creativity and advancement of other attractions in the park.

I think he would be thrilled by the animal exhibits and safari in AK, and how much they do to help animals and endangered species, but I think that Walt would be pushing for more ways to go "green" in his parks. I know he was all about technology and advancement and the future is green. I think he would have assured that Disney was doing their best to make a difference, which I don't really see right now.

Haha I think he would also be disappointed by line cutters, last minute parade spot pushers, and people who make more than one ADR ;)

Great topic! I think Walt would be most proud of the way Disney has been succesful in other ventures like DCL. He may be most disappointed the direct to DVD sequels of his beloved animated classics, can anyone say Cinderella 3 or Lady and the Tramp 2?

Via iPhone

I haven't listened to the podcast yet but here's my 2 cents anyway. :rolleyes1

I think Walt would be proud of the educational programs that Disney has for children, he would certainly be proud of how Disney still manages to uphold the true feeling of Christmas in the parks and the Candlelight Processional.

I think he would be most disappointed in the way that the public is being nickel & dimed, the stroller price increase is a very good example. Strangely enough, I don't really mind the cost of park tickets - don't get me wrong, I'd LOVE to pay less - Disney offers so much and so many things to us.

Just thinking of everything (other than the rides & major shows) that we are going to see in 8 days is mind boggling - the theming you find EVERYWHERE, the fountains that put on such awesome shows, the lighting of those fountains, the music that comes at you from everywhere and keeps you humming all day, talking trashcans, DeVine, street performers, wonderful window displays, the beautiful flowers & gardens, the attention to detail, the fireworks, parades, the monorail....:cool1::cool1::cool1: I SO can't wait!

When you figure in the cost for salaries, insurance, electrical, upkeep, maintenance, refurbs, gas, water, etc.....you get my point. The parks are clean, safe & have provided me & mine years of joy and memories. Those are things that I also think that Walt would be proud of.

I am excited to see there is a thread about my email! More research for me :)

I find Walt's vision to be very interesting as well. I have found so many books talking about it. One book even talks about the counterculture. I might end up reading all of these books just for fun! (dorky I know)

I thought it would always be fun to tour the parks with Walt and hear all of the things he had to say and to just see his reaction to the World he dreamed up.

Thanks for your input guys :)

I hope the thread helps you! I'd love to read your paper when it's done.

I have OFTEN thought about touring the parks with Walt too. You know that question "If you could have dinner with anyone alive or dead who would it be?" I always answer Walt Disney, but not having dinner, I'd want to be with him in the parks.

And as much as I love Epcot. I'm not sure if he'd be a fan of that park. It seems to have drifted away somewhat from the futuristic side of technology. I could be way off but I think that would be closer to his true wishes for that park.

ITA, I think Walt would be disappointed by Epcot. I think he envisioned it very differently and really wanted it to be an actual community where people lived and used cutting edge technology. I think he would like individual attractions like Mission Space and Test Track ect...but I'm not sure he would like Epcot as a whole so much.

I hope when Pete gets back he can give me a comment too :)

I think he could have a fantastic rant on things Walt wouldn't be proud of.

I think Walt would be most proud of what has become of he Disney Community as a whole. Also AK would almost seem like one of his dreams that he tried to do in the Jungle Cruise has came true on a grand scale.

I think Walt would be disappointed in the sale of large chunks of WDW property. He bought so much land so it would never be imposed on by "The Real World." The company has been selling off small portions piece by piece, and with these new homes/timeshares coming within miles of the MK he is probly rolling in his grave.

I haven't decided what Walt would be most proud of yet. I'm still thinking on that one.

But I do think Walt would really be disappointed that the monorail doesn't connect all of the parks and resorts. He wasn't a "stay within the budget kind of guy" - that was Roy's job - and I realize that it is obscenely cost prohibitive to extend the monorail at this point - but it seems to me that Walt really loved the monorail since he put it at DL and WDW. He also put all the MK area resorts on the monorail line. (It would be interesting to see if in his original EPCOT plans whether he linked the MK and EPCOT.) So in my mind it is just logical that Walt would have envisioned all of the parks and resorts being linked by his monorail. The monorail is after all a train and we all know how Walt loved his trains.

I think he would be most proud of the fact that the imagination and creativity have continued on. What the Disney Imagineers come up with is simply amazing. I think he would be proud that his dream has grown to be so big. He succeeded in creating something that the entire family would enjoy. And let's face it, while there is a big community here of teens, this site is mainly adults of both men and women who truly love Disney, and I think it's Walt Disney's ideals that make us love it.

What I think he would be most disappointed in is the fact that while there is still a huge amount of creativity, it's become a money machine. Who needs a Disney Store, something special, when you can go to Wal-Mart and get a cheapened version for less money? I think some traditions and practices have been cut out of the Disney way of doing things, because it costs too much money, and I don't think Walt would have been happy with that.

I think Walt would be most proud of how his ideas are still around, how they've have been built upon, enchanced and are still so beloved today. Pirates of the Carribbean, Small World, Haunted Mansion, ect...more than 50 years after his death.
Hey...please don't make me older than I am. Walt died in 1966 and I was born in 1966...I'll be 42 this summer thank you very much! :snooty: :laughing:

I think Walt would be most proud of the way his properties create happiness in most of the people that go. I know that I frequently feel stressed at home, but when I am on a Disney Vacation with my family I feel totally relaxed and genuinely happy.

Joe

Not having ever met Walt, but in a weird way feeling like I know the man, I will attempt to answer this question:

I feel Walt would be impressed with the innovations that the Imagineers have come up with. The movement forward in ride technology, animatronics, digital media inclusion, crowd interraction, and overall the theme-ing that has continued in the parks to provide guests a continual feeling of inclusion.

I think he would love PIXAR, both their animation and their storytelling abilities. And I think he would be glad that Disney and Pixar found a way to stay together, and that John Lassetter is taking such an active role.

The growth he would have loved. The decade of growth that Disney experienced in the 90s alone was staggering. Animal Kingdom, Cruise Line, Tokyo and Disney Sea, Disney Hollywood Studios and the many celebrations all I am sure would have ranked way up there. I think he would have said that it should have happened sooner.

I am not sure how he would take EPCOT. It is quite a bit different than his original plan, with people actually living there and keeping a continual advancement in science and technology.

On what he would dislike I look to the following quote, "Disneyland is a work of love. We didn’t go into Disneyland just with the idea of making money." For example: Outside of Disneyland, while Walt was still alive there were picnic areas for guests to bring their own food. They were ripped out after his passing. Walt understood the idea of "Give them a good time, treat them right, and they will return. Better to have repeat business than push forward at all costs and lose folks." And granted I started at Disney as a child during the Eisner/Wells era. But, my G-Ma who attended Disneyland in the 50's was so impressed that when they opened WDW she came back and the cycle started again.

I think he would be appalled at the way CM's are being treated. The lack of training, retention, wages, and benefits while lining the pockets of the CEOs and COOs. There is a phenomenally high turn over rate at Disney, and with Walt you were more inclined to see people stay for longer periods because they were well taken care of. Look at his animators, designers, and artists. Many were lifelong Disney employees. More and more Imagineers all the way down to your front line Cast Members leave and don't come back. Walt did believe in fostering talent and more importantly KEEPING said talent.

I think also he would be disappointed in the way Disney Animation studios has been handled with the release of sequels direct to video and DVD.

I've been giving this one a lot of thought since listening today and I thought a few things that have been mentioned above - in particular the state of transportation at WDW. If he were around there would be peoplemovers to get you to a hub on a monorail loop that visited the parks. If not that I think there would be anything but busses....

Reading his biographies Walt was really obsessive about ideas. He would get one stuck in his head and work at it until he had reached the pinnacle of what he could do with them and then move on to the next, not looking back in most cases.

Because of this I don't think he would be pining for the old days of animation. He practically gave it up while he was alive - only keeping a few pictures in the works because it was expected and they would help fund whatever his current project was. He would probably be upset at the cheapening of the Disney brand by the substandard sequels that were the norm there for a while - fortunately it looks like those days are over.

But the main thing I think he would be disappointed with would be that EPCOT was never built or at least experimented with. It was his whole focus the last few years of his life. If you aren't familiar with his concept about EPCOT - go do some reading on it. It wasn't a park it was a true prototype city of tomorrow. It certainly probably wouldn't have worked as planned but the ideas and technology that would have been developed might have made their way into real life daily use.

What would Walt be most proud of? probably the park legacies that are still alive today such as the steam trains still circling the parks and the level of customer service provided. The expansion into the cruise line and 3D animation would probably interest him greatly also.

I think Walt would be so proud of the endurance his product has had. I'm trying to read his bio right now, and it seems early on, he was trying to be the best in the industry, always as a matter of fact. And in 2008 you know Disney is the best at what it does.

tihnk he would also love how people use disney films and parks as a family rite of passage. You introduce these things to your children as something special. A treasure really.

Ok, enough nice.
One thing I think he would be disappointed in is the company's expertise at overkill. Walt didn't want to do sequels, and in terms of merchandising a character, he knew when to stop. Honestly, I don't need a High School Musical towel while in Epcot's American Adventure pavilion!
And I think the demographic focus is so far away from his expectations. His whole idea of Disneyland was a place where the WHOLE family could have a good time. The Disney channel "programs" are a prime example. These shows make me want to rip my hair out. It's not really for the whole family, it's for the "tweens" (hate that word) and the parents that don't care enough that they don't mind putting up with it.
And he'd be disappointed that Song of the South can't be released.

I think that he would be very happy that generations of family's consider going to WDW a rite of passage , that so many of us grew up with his parks and just can't wait to take our childern to small world etc. He has created a truly happy place that had endured for so many years.
I think that he would be most upset by the training and compensation for CM's. They make the place what it is and I think that Walt knew that, it is a pretty place but without the CM's to bring it alive, it falls short. I am sure that he would put alot more into CM's and value them as a key point in the "disney" experience.

I think the thing Walt would love most is the way Disney has become more than a company. I am not sure if it was Kevin or John that said it but it is communities like this that I think he would love.

I think he would love the computer technology and I think that he would have most definitely bought into Pixar when Lucas first offered them equal partnership in 1986 for $12 Million instead of waiting and paying $7.4 billion. I also think he would have found a way to keep Katzenberg.

I am not completely convinced that some of the things mentioned he would have hated. Walt was a business man after all and while he didn't mind spending money he also like to make it (The WED "situation" would be a good example). In the modern manufacturing environment I am not sure if he would be completely against outsourcing. Though I am pretty sure he would at least make sure there was no lead in his toys :thumbsup2

I think he would love AK and had he been alive AK might have been built before The Studios. Much of Walt's early work was with live animals and he would have found a way to incorporate them in the parks.

I do agree 100% that he would not like some of the Imagineering shortcuts taken and Dinoland is a good example. I also think EPCOT would have turned out very different if Walt was here to implement it. Maybe not better, but different. If EPCOT was implemented as it is he would have made sure he kept it more updated.

He would also never let CM training become such an afterthought either.

I don't think he would be too pleased with Epcot.

I think what he'd be most proud of is his two DISNEY daughters.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter