• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

What do you think school will be like in the fall? UPDATE page 29 for Mass.

I think asking the class to forego peanut snacks is a little different from asking them to forego in person schooling.

Look, I get that it's not fair. But none of this is fair. These are extraordinary times that might require extraordinary remedies.

I get it. So, just punish those students from higher risk families?
My responses were to comments made by a few who are wanting schools to just go back to normal as it was with NO modification and telling those with at-risk families to learn from home if they don’t like the additional risk.
I mentioned about peanut allergies because schools make adjustments even for that.

Last edited:
I don’t think these two things are comparable. All the parents I know of kids with allergies make their own adjustments - those kids have to sit at a peanut-free section of the cafeteria at lunch, so it doesn’t alter what other kids can pack or what the cafeteria serves. Or class parties at our school, the parents can send in whatever they want and the allergy child usually misses out, so nobody is being asked to adjust for one or two children. (However, I personally think that sucks, and I always send in treats for any allergy specific kids in my kids classrooms.)
wow. the school districts surrounding us in both states we've lived in disallowed parent choice on whole class snacks/party food years ago. all snacks have to follow a specific criteria including NOTHING homemade. one district near us has it down to a science-all baked goods can only be store bought from one of the 2 in store bakeries at the 2 grocery stores nearest them b/c each term the teachers provide them with all the individual allergy information for their individual classrooms so when you walk in you go to the counter, tell them which teacher your kid has, they pull out a 3 ring binder to look up that class and either take a special order or tell you which of their prepacked items meet that classroom's criteria.

Similar rules with my younger one’s school.
Nothing homemade allowed period. Food provided for birthdays or other in-class parties can only be bought from pre-approved local bakeries and grocery stores.

wow. the school districts surrounding us in both states we've lived in disallowed parent choice on whole class snacks/party food years ago. all snacks have to follow a specific criteria including NOTHING homemade. one district near us has it down to a science-all baked goods can only be store bought from one of the 2 in store bakeries at the 2 grocery stores nearest them b/c each term the teachers provide them with all the individual allergy information for their individual classrooms so when you walk in you go to the counter, tell them which teacher your kid has, they pull out a 3 ring binder to look up that class and either take a special order or tell you which of their prepacked items meet that classroom's criteria.

Wow, that is definitely different here. We aren’t allowed homemade goods for class parties here either.

My responses were to comments made by a few who are wanting schools to just go back to normal as it was with NO modification and telling those with at-risk families to learn from home if they don’t like the additional risk.
I mentioned about peanut allergies because schools make adjustments even for that.
It's a pandemic. Yes, we might have to consider approaches we wouldn't under normal circumstances.

I get the point you're trying to make, but we're in a (presumably) short-term emergency situation that might require measures we wouldn't ordinarily accept.

It is also worth keeping in mind that peanut-free classrooms aren't impacting anyone's educational experience. We can make schools safe for peanut-allergic schools with relatively minor accommodations that have little impact on the rest of the student body. That isn't true for COVID. What we're talking about now - making schools into something out of a dystopian movie where children aren't allowed to play or interact - is likely to have a far more drastic effect on both educational effectiveness and mental health. So it makes sense to ask the question of whether it makes sense to create this ultra-restrictive environment for all children, and throw our schools into financial crisis in the process, to protect a high-risk minority.

One of the biggest problems I see with not returning to classrooms in the fall is the amount of children who are going to get left behind. As I've posted on other threads (and maybe here too) we live in a rural community where not everyone has internet access. While the town has provided a list of free Wifi hot-spots, and after a public outcry provided tablets/laptops tp those who needed them, that really isn't a solution.

A lot of the work-force in town remained working as most of the largest employers were considered essential. Parents used older children to watch the younger children and there was no one home to drive the children to where the hot-spots were. After working all day (and sometimes into the evening or 7 days a week for a company that makes parts for ventilators) who is then going to spend three or four hours in a parking lot somewhere for school work? Or some parents did split shifts in order to have one parent home (manufacturing was running 24/7 for a while). We've already been hearing that some children didn't do any work once remote learning started.

Our town only had a total of 1-4 cases and has no active cases at this time. Most of the surrounding towns are the same. My hope is that because of our low numbers school will open as usual in the fall.

I get the point you're trying to make, but we're in a (presumably) short-term emergency situation that might require measures we wouldn't ordinarily accept.

It is also worth keeping in mind that peanut-free classrooms aren't impacting anyone's educational experience. We can make schools safe for peanut-allergic schools with relatively minor accommodations that have little impact on the rest of the student body. That isn't true for COVID. What we're talking about now - making schools into something out of a dystopian movie where children aren't allowed to play or interact - is likely to have a far more drastic effect on both educational effectiveness and mental health. So it makes sense to ask the question of whether it makes sense to create this ultra-restrictive environment for all children, and throw our schools into financial crisis in the process, to protect a high-risk minority.

So, instead, the better thing to do is nothing??

What specific aspects of the guideline are dystopian and ultra-restrictive. I agree some things may be unreasonable. But, to call the ENTIRE guide a complete waste and not make ANY modification is reckless.

As a teacher, I can tell you that from what I've read, these plans are not sustainable. My solution is to sanitize and wash hands more, but otherwise have school as normal. Anybody who is worried or has underlying health issues can be homeschooled through elearning. The districts are equipped to handle this. The virus is said to not affect kids, daycares have been open this whole time without a spike, sports have resumed, and many states have had a month of school without an increase in cases. I know that I will probably get raked over the coals for this reply, but if opening schools means opening like this, I don't see this working out at all.
You'll get no criticism from me - you speak for me 1000%! BTW - where do you live where sports have resumed? CA guidelines don't even mention any extra-curriculars. Sports, band, choir, dance, drama - it's all crucial. My kids have been playing lacrosse since they were 9 years old with the goal being playing in High School. There is only a slim chance they'd ever play beyond that. Parents with their kids in club soccer - same story. same goes for band, and drama for other kids. It is their primary social group. I'm not really interested in a scenario where ANY of this is not included.

So, instead, the better thing to do is nothing??

What specific aspects of the guideline are dystopian and ultra-restrictive. I agree some things may be unreasonable. But, to call the ENTIRE guide a complete waste and not make ANY modification is reckless.
I'll admit I haven't read every single post. But did someone really say they didn't want to make any modifications?

Hybrid plans with half day or alternate day attendance might theoretically be possible for elementary schools (and maybe even junior high) where all students essentially take the same classes with little variation. But what about high schools?

None of these in person hybrid plans are feasible for our HS. Even if you have half the kids in 1st hour chemistry with Mr. Jones attend on M & W and the other half attend on Tu & Th, those same kids have different classes for the rest of the day ... so you may be able to socially distance the first hour classes, but what happens with subsequent hours when kids scatter in different directions for different classes? It just becomes this impossible Tetris style puzzle with seemingly endless combinations. Our entire high school curriculum would have to be revamped into some sort of preassigned grouping of classes for each grade level like elementary or junior high in order for this to be remotely feasible.

Hybrid plans with half day or alternate day attendance might theoretically be possible for elementary schools (and maybe even junior high) where all students essentially take the same classes with little variation. But what about high schools?
It may theoretically be possible, but it is a logistical nightmare for working parents. Unless these young kids are caring for themselves (which may happen in some families) they will need to go to daycare on the off days/times, where they will be exposed to other children anyway. So what is the difference?

BTW - where do you live where sports have resumed? CA guidelines don't even mention any extra-curriculars. Sports, band, choir, dance, drama - it's all crucial. My kids have been playing lacrosse since they were 9 years old with the goal being playing in High School. There is only a slim chance they'd ever play beyond that. Parents with their kids in club soccer - same story. same goes for band, and drama for other kids. It is their primary social group. I'm not really interested in a scenario where ANY of this is not included.

Not the poster you quoted, but Iowa is doing HS baseball and softball right now. Practices started 6/1 and games start 6/15. Temp checks and assorted other guidelines in place.

It may theoretically be possible, but it is a logistical nightmare for working parents. Unless these young kids are caring for themselves (which may happen in some families) they will need to go to daycare on the off days/times, where they will be exposed to other children anyway. So what is the difference?

Oh, I absolutely agree. I haven’t seen a decent, real world workable plan introduced.

I'll admit I haven't read every single post. But did someone really say they didn't want to make any modifications?

Yes.
It is those comments suggesting doing nothing, and saying at-risk or risk averse kids stay home, that my responses were geared towards.

where do you live where sports have resumed?
Chicago suburbs. Competitive gymnastics, baseball and football conditioning have begun. Temps are taken, everything is sanitized and then sanitized again, practice times are cut down, masks are worn upon entering and exiting, but the seasons have started! :)

I’m in Michigan and sports practices are starting up with limitations. Nothing can be mandatory, no indoor practices, no weight rooms, no outdoor gatherings of over 100, social distancing is supposed to be practiced, individual water bottles instead of shared sources, masks can be worn (except for long distance running and swimming ... who wears a mask swimming???!!!),etc. DD16 starts cross country practice next week.

No real indication of how sports seasons might play out in the fall if they actually happen - a bunch of suggestions have been given like keeping competitions local, having parents provide transportation, etc. And for cross country, they are recommending staggered starts. I don’t know if DD will actually have a junior cross country season, but just having practice to look forward to is doing wonders for her mental health.

Yes.
It is those comments suggesting doing nothing, and saying at-risk or risk averse kids stay home, that my responses were geared towards.
OK, understood - but what do you suggest? I feel bad for anyone at-risk, but so far EVERYONE has self-isolated - and it's been a disaster for everyone's mental health. Someone else here suggested that the proposed measures to re-open schools would create a dystopian experience - I don't think that's far off. Let's get the majority of kids back to normalcy, then give the kids that can't be there the mother-of-all remote learning experiences. My guess is when nothing happens, or even very little happens, we'll find a way to get even the at-risk kids back at it by Christmas.

So, basically, everyone who is not high risk come to school and continue as usual (besides assemblies). And everyone who is high risk stay at home.

Also, students who have high risk family members stay home, I assume.

Sounds like the world can continue as normal for everyone under 65?

YES. Why drag the rest of the population into a crap situation? If I were in a high risk group I would NOT want to make others suffer for my (false) sense of security. That is the most selfish thing I've heard.

Who suffers if they implement these impossible measures?
- Everyone who works at schools
- Students
- Parents

The immunocompromised STILL have to take precautionary measures regardless!

None of these in person hybrid plans are feasible for our HS. Even if you have half the kids in 1st hour chemistry with Mr. Jones attend on M & W and the other half attend on Tu & Th, those same kids have different classes for the rest of the day ... so you may be able to socially distance the first hour classes, but what happens with subsequent hours when kids scatter in different directions for different classes? It just becomes this impossible Tetris style puzzle with seemingly endless combinations. Our entire high school curriculum would have to be revamped into some sort of preassigned grouping of classes for each grade level like elementary or junior high in order for this to be remotely feasible.
Plus high school kids in the same grade take different levels of classes, dd17 is taking the equivalent of Spanish 6, ds17 AP Spanish which is 5. Dd is taking BC calculus, ds AP statistics which Dd took already. The only courses they have in common are choir, gym and English, and they’re twins.

OK, understood - but what do you suggest? I feel bad for anyone at-risk, but so far EVERYONE has self-isolated - and it's been a disaster for everyone's mental health. Someone else here suggested that the proposed measures to re-open schools would create a dystopian experience - I don't think that's far off. Let's get the majority of kids back to normalcy, then give the kids that can't be there the mother-of-all remote learning experiences. My guess is when nothing happens, or even very little happens, we'll find a way to get even the at-risk kids back at it by Christmas.
Are you speaking for everyone? In my family of 7, it hasn’t been ideal, but certainly not a disaster. Right now ds22 (who came home for a week, just moved into a new place) is biking to help paint a historic building in town, he hiked the last 2 days, dd19 is down the shore for the 3rd time this summer. Ds17 is having the hardest time, dd17 was down the shore with friends yesterday. Lots of parking lot meetups and fire pits. We are in one of the hardest hit areas, maybe it’s easier mentally for us because we all know a bunch of people who had it, or died from it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter