What do you think school will be like in the fall? UPDATE page 29 for Mass.

Our schools just announced the plan last night. Students with last names starting with A-K will go to school on Mondays and Tuesdays the rest go Thursdays and Fridays. They will alternate Wednesdays. Classroom doors will remain open, limited face to face contact, staggered dismissal times, in cafeteria kids can't sit across from each other and will sit 6 ft. apart. Buses will load from back to front in order of drop offs-first off in the front. This is going to be a nightmare for working parents and teachers with younger school aged kids. I can help my sister who has elementary and middle school kids . I am so glad that I am no longer teaching when I think about the planning this is going to involve for both in class and remote learning. Although I must say that my middle school aged nephew is doing remote summer school from my house and is enjoying it. He has 3 classes that are an hour long each with a 15 minute break between each. The kids aren't on camera and answer by email which he really likes. He is probably participating more than in a regular setting.
Do you mind sharing where you are (even just the state)

So our district has decided they will offer 3 options to all families and families can choose the one they want.

Option 1: 100% online schooling via a "Virtual Academy" that does not tie them to a particular school and uses teachers that are not necessarily the ones at their neighborhood school (i.e. teachers may be located in another city or state, this is basically a homeschool option provided by the district). No option to attend school in person for the whole year.

Option 2: Distance Learning model based at neighborhood school, staffed by school teachers. Electives would be offered in person one day per week, and sports programs are offered (i.e. kids can play sports via their school for their school teams). Students would maintain priority status at their enrolled assigned school site and may switch to in person learning during the year if they wish.

Option 3 (this will be determined via survey, but the 2 choices are Traditional or Hybrid...both models will not be offered).

Traditional: In person classes 5 days per week. Students in middle and high school must take one class fully online. The school day would be shortened to reflect this.

Hybrid: This one is super crazy. It's something like students attend in person classes 2 times per week, either M&W or T&Th. No students attend on Fridays. Classes will be half online and half in person. Students will alternate which classes they do in person every other week. So, one week will be odd period classes, the next will be even period classes. This option sounds like a complete cluster.

In the survey, for HS and MS, at least, parents are asked to choose which option under option 3 they would like. The options 1 and 2 will be offered no matter what.

I voted traditional for my kids. The hybrid option sounds like a scheduling nightmare. I hope enough parents choose Traditional so that it will be available. I feel like that is a fair compromise since parents can choose one of the 2 distance learning options if they don't want to send their kids to school in person.

They also said they will recommend but NOT require masks and social distancing for students, but will make masks and face shields mandatory for all staff and require staff to remain at least 6 feet from students whenever possible.

Now, four school districts around me have decided not to have a full-time in-person schedule as usual. This was due to a majority opinion (60 to 75% of responses) by parents and staff through surveys.

In regards to bus transportation, our school district is following the CDC recommendation of only 10 kids to a bus and because of that they will only be able to provide busing to 10% of those that used it before. Kids with special needs and those in foster care or experiencing homelessness get priority. People that ‘choice in’ for their school aren’t eligible to apply at all.

Our district is also discussing that hybrid option of group A goes to school Mon and Wed and group B goes to school Tues and Thurs with everyone learning online Friday. Then this week they released another statement saying they’re hopeful we can be fully in person since our cases have dropped so much. So we’ll see. Parents will be given the option of at home distancing learning if they want it but no details on how much leeway you have to go back and forth.

The university I work at is planning for face-to-face but behind the scenes they’ve been training everyone around the clock in online instruction which leads me to believe they’re not too optimistic it will work out. I was originally going to be teaching on campus but since I’m high risk for COVID I requested online instruction so all four of my face-to-face courses were switched online. So if you see that happen to your kids in college that could be why- the universities are scrambling trying to figure out how to accommodate high risk professors and there’s a lot of discussion on universities being liable for forcing professors to be in the classroom. All of the research behind the scenes isn’t too optimistic that colleges will avoid large outbreaks.

NYC here. We do not seem to have plans yet, although the fear is that those who can afford to will take their kids out of public schools, making the segregation problems in our schools even worse.

Connecticut?

I’m not the poster you were asking, but that’s not CT. The preliminary plan for us was released Friday, with details to follow.
They are planning on regular five day a week school, and they are expecting kids to wear masks all day. I work in special ed, and for some of my kiddoes, just keeping their shoes on all day is a challenge. They are planning on regular bussing. Our busses are packed. They also decided against temperature checks, which I think is a huge mistake. I’d prefer temperature checks TWICE a day, because lots of kids come in after taking meds at home, and then go downhill in the afternoon.

The education commissioner was asked if districts were going to supply the masks, but he didn’t answer the question. Our district is high poverty, and some of the families won’t be able to provide masks.

All in all, I am not pleased with this plan, and I don’t feel it’s safe. Some of the kids we have in our class can be fairly aggressivei, including biting and spitting in our faces, and they are not going to understand the need for distancing and masks. A lot can change in two months, though, so we will just have to wait and see.
Connecticut?

We are still waiting for direction from our county and districts, but know that our year round schools (which start in 3 weeks) will go back as distance learning only.

And although one person’s opinion, this is depressing, but not terribly surprising

https://www.cnn.com/world/live-news...27-20-intl/h_103e0c6a50c94489f66517d3ae00f39c
I hate to say it, but I kinda think all schools should probably invest in the time and resources for remote learning for the next year. All indications are that the fall and winter will be bad with this virus. To me it makes more sense to spend the money towards solid internet and online learning instead of scrambling to figure out buses, rework classrooms, ventilation systems, food preparation, ordering millions in PPE equipment, juggling schedules, etc. only to have shut down again like Israel and China have had to do and then have the learning be as jumbled and half done as it was this past spring in most places.

‘Planning for an in person return right now seems like it could wind up costing districts a fortune and not be very effective and then need to pack it all in again as cases continue.

The modern world relies on internet now and this could be the time to invest wisely in it for the future instead of slapping things together piecemeal which it seems like what is happening.

‘This also give parents time to plan effectively instead of assuming things will be fine and then being told in October or November that schools need to close again and having to scramble with no notice again.

I also know we all want kids in school. Kids are resilient, however, and can and will adapt more easily then adults. It is certainly not ideal. I do think, however, it might be the smartest thing to do in the long run u til we get through this pandemic.

I’m not the poster you were asking, but that’s not CT. The preliminary plan for us was released Friday, with details to follow.
They are planning on regular five day a week school, and they are expecting kids to wear masks all day. I work in special ed, and for some of my kiddoes, just keeping their shoes on all day is a challenge. They are planning on regular bussing. Our busses are packed. They also decided against temperature checks, which I think is a huge mistake. I’d prefer temperature checks TWICE a day, because lots of kids come in after taking meds at home, and then go downhill in the afternoon.

The education commissioner was asked if districts were going to supply the masks, but he didn’t answer the question. Our district is high poverty, and some of the families won’t be able to provide masks.

All in all, I am not pleased with this plan, and I don’t feel it’s safe. Some of the kids we have in our class can be fairly aggressivei, including biting and spitting in our faces, and they are not going to understand the need for distancing and masks. A lot can change in two months, though, so we will just have to wait and see.
I totally agree with you! That’s why I asked if it was CT. It sounds like business as usual and not safe at all. I also work with special needs students a great deal of the time, and understand exactly where you are coming from. What they are expecting is virtually impossible as far as masks go. That will just traumatize a lot of children unnecessarily.

NYC here. We do not seem to have plans yet, although the fear is that those who can afford to will take their kids out of public schools, making the segregation problems in our schools even worse.

This shows how poorly the public education system is administered from the top to bottom. The per pupil spending by state ranges from around $6,000 to $25,000, with the average being about $12,000. That is private tuition amounts in many places. I know this is a very simplistic view. But, there is way too much mismanagement.

This shows how poorly the public education system is administered from the top to bottom. The per pupil spending by state ranges from around $6,000 to $25,000, with the average being about $12,000. That is private tuition amounts in many places. I know this is a very simplistic view. But, there is way too much mismanagement.

In NYC per pupil spending is $25,199. Tuition at Avenues, one of the harder to get into private schools, is a little over $56,000.

There’s always a range of tuition for private schools. But, you had to pick out an outlier to compare with. I’m pretty sure there are many other private schools that cost a lot less. Not less than the Public spending, but fairly close to it.

Private schools around me are between $12,000 and $50,000, and the average state per pupil spending is $8,500 to $11,000 depending on grade level.

There’s always a range of tuition for private schools. But, you had to pick out an outlier to compare with. I’m pretty sure there are many other private schools that cost a lot less. Not less than the Public spending, but fairly close to it.

Private schools around me are between $12,000 and $50,000, and the average state per pupil spending is $8,500 to $11,000 depending on grade level.

The average private school tuition is in NYC $26,241 for elementary schools and $42,373 for high schools. Avenues isn't a huge outlier.

I hate to say it, but I kinda think all schools should probably invest in the time and resources for remote learning for the next year. All indications are that the fall and winter will be bad with this virus. To me it makes more sense to spend the money towards solid internet and online learning instead of scrambling to figure out buses, rework classrooms, ventilation systems, food preparation, ordering millions in PPE equipment, juggling schedules, etc. only to have shut down again like Israel and China have had to do and then have the learning be as jumbled and half done as it was this past spring in most places.

‘Planning for an in person return right now seems like it could wind up costing districts a fortune and not be very effective and then need to pack it all in again as cases continue.

The modern world relies on internet now and this could be the time to invest wisely in it for the future instead of slapping things together piecemeal which it seems like what is happening.

‘This also give parents time to plan effectively instead of assuming things will be fine and then being told in October or November that schools need to close again and having to scramble with no notice again.

I also know we all want kids in school. Kids are resilient, however, and can and will adapt more easily then adults. It is certainly not ideal. I do think, however, it might be the smartest thing to do in the long run u til we get through this pandemic.

Unfortunately, even if schools invest heavily in online learning, there is a severe lack of infrastructure in rural areas and a cost issue in poorer ones. While the modern world may rely on the internet, roughly 10% of Americans don’t have a reliable connection.

This is going to leave a lot of students behind and that doesn’t include students with needs that can’t be met online or students for whom school is the only reprieve from home. Yes, people are craving normalcy, but there’s a bigger reason why there’s a push to open schools in some capacity for in-student learning.

As we get closer and closer, I tend to agree with you. I think it's too much to try to make it all work otherwise and everybody will suffer across the board. I want my kids back in school, but I want it to be done safely. And I don't want the time during the school year being spent trying to figure it all out - or being half baked when a switch back to distance learning likely happens.

Unfortunately, even if schools invest heavily in online learning, there is a severe lack of infrastructure in rural areas and a cost issue in poorer ones. While the modern world may rely on the internet, roughly 10% of Americans don’t have a reliable connection.

This is going to leave a lot of students behind and that doesn’t include students with needs that can’t be met online or students for whom school is the only reprieve from home. Yes, people are craving normalcy, but there’s a bigger reason why there’s a push to open schools in some capacity for in-student learning.
I definitely realize that. That is why I think it would be smarter to spend money on some the internet infrastructure. At least it is planning for the future instead of putting a band aid on things which is what schools are basically trying to do. And that usually winds up costing more in the long run.

I guess I’m saying if there was ever a year to start making those investments, this would be the one to do it.

I definitely realize that. That is why I think it would be smarter to spend money on some the internet infrastructure. At least it is planning for the future instead of putting a band aid on things which is what schools are basically trying to do. And that usually winds up costing more in the long run.

I guess I’m saying if there was ever a year to start making those investments, this would be the one to do it.
It's not the schools paying for that infrastructure though. I mean you can have schools spend money on iPads and the like but they are not the ones ensuring the homes their students live in have internet access. Telecommunications companies in many areas that don't have the internet connection or reliable don't because there's not enough profit in there potentially because not enough people live there or they live far apart (they are relying more on subsidies or investments from the governments to do it) or there's issues with topography, etc.

I don't disagree with you but this isn't an issue the schools can do much about. 10mins from my house you have virtually no cell signal and the internet is soooooo expensive it's ridiculous and they don't have the ability to have the speeds we can. That's in suburbia just 1-2 miles from my house is the country. I can't imagine how the really rural parts of my state are like.

As we get closer and closer, I tend to agree with you. I think it's too much to try to make it all work otherwise and everybody will suffer across the board. I want my kids back in school, but I want it to be done safely. And I don't want the time during the school year being spent trying to figure it all out - or being half baked when a switch back to distance learning likely happens.

This is how I feel. I think there is a good chance of another shut down before Christmas. I hope a plan is in place so we aren't scrambling again.

Many parents I have spoken to are against a hybrid type system since they have to work and don't have work from home capabilities. I don't know what the schools can do to help families where parents are not able to stay home.

This is how I feel. I think there is a good chance of another shut down before Christmas. I hope a plan is in place so we aren't scrambling again.

Many parents I have spoken to are against a hybrid type system since they have to work and don't have work from home capabilities. I don't know what the schools can do to help families where parents are not able to stay home.

I think parents will probably have to do whatever they did this spring?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter