What do you think - No more standard resorts?

Future Resorts - All DVC or Not

• Yes - All future resorts will be DVC

• No - More resorts in all categories will come

Results are only viewable after voting.

Ratpack

WL VET
DVC Gold
Just curious to what others think. With the popularity of DVC, do you think we have seen the last of the regular resorts being built by Disney or will they add more?

I think they will need to completely rebuild some of the oldest resorts in the not to distant future. (like the massive rehab going on at the Contemporary.) The Poly still needs work. I think we will see some "value" class WDW resorts and additional "combined" deluxe/DVC properties. But probably not another free-standing deluxe.

I they build a new park or major attraction, you will see a resort area to support it, IMHO.

I think Dinsey may add to the Value catagory.. Providing they finish POP. I would say it is more likely they will rehab and maybe add as they are doing at the CR Even if this ends up being DVC.

remember the new boss say no new resorts for 5 years - we are what 2 1/2 years into that promise.

so nothing until then.

but yes I think Disney will continue to build resorts. hey they are current at 93% occupancy. they have to be happy with that number.

really, really wish they would finish Pop. rumor has it - that Pop will be finished and starting this Oct. We will see.

Wish I could see a DVC at the Polyn but I can't unless like the CR they tear some of the current building down. Which I don't think they will. they spend a fortune - taking the rooms apart to get rid of that mold smell. If they were going to go with a DVC resort that would have been time to do it.

the GF don't know. I have never liked this place. but I would think with the new - okay can't remember the name - going in close to FW. It will have some tough competition. Either Disney needs to get the current staff trained or get in new management. the other big luxury resorts aren't close to disney. So they weren't a problem. This one will be.

I think DVC will be at all the resorts, but I also think Disney will continue to have all levels of resorts on property...not just DVC. I think if they went to all DVC, the quality of the parks and the whole resort complex would suffer greatly.

I think it depends on the time frame. If you're talking about the next few years, I'd say it's likely that only DVC will be built. If you're talking about the next 50 years, I'd say it's likely that a mix will be built. ;)

Rumor (not sure if it's offical or "unoffical") says Pop is being completed soon

And of course we have NO offical confirmation so the rumored "CRV" could actually be regular new resort rooms! I think this counts as "new" since it's an increase in the number of rooms, not just a "refresh" on old rooms!

Disney will build more resorts as needed.

For the near future: All DVC.

For the next 10 years? All types.

I think once the rumored 5th gate is conceptualized, designed, and built...we'll see some more "regular" resorts. I think that process is a good 7 to 10 years down the road.

I do not know about WDW but with Disneyland running an unheard of 90% occupancy rate, I am sure there will be more built there. AS well as more DVC after the GCH is sold out. (According to the Resort Specific plan filed with Anaheim back in 2000. Disney has the option to build a total of 7,500 rooms at the resort. (Right now they have about 3,000, so there is alot of growth potential there).

For the near future: All DVC.

For the next 10 years? All types.

I think once the rumored 5th gate is conceptualized, designed, and built...we'll see some more "regular" resorts. I think that process is a good 7 to 10 years down the road.

I don't mean to hijack the thread, but what's the "5th gate?"

I don't mean to hijack the thread, but what's the "5th gate?"

5th gate refers to a 5th park, everything is rumor at this point. Personally, I think they need to ad more to the Studios and AK, and take a look at EPCOT to rehab some areas before turning their attention to yet another park.

...I think they need to ad more to the Studios...

And how they get out bid by Universal for the literary property of the millennium is beyond belief. It had all the Disney ingredients -- great characters, great story telling, immersive opportunity.

For the next 15-20 years I think every new resort will be DVC or at the very least Regular Hotel/DVC hybrid. DVC seems to be a sure thing for Disney because we as DVC owners are paying up front for 50 years of use at the resort (not including MF etc.). So by the time the contracts at a new resort are sold out, Disney has pretty much gotten a return on its investment. Plus more DVC means more guaranteed return visitors every year. Which means the parks stay full, the restuarants stay busy, and the retail sales increase every year (theoretically that is).
I think as long as DVC continues to be as popular as it has been, then there really isn't a need (financially speaking) to build a non-DVC resort. JMO

Machta: 5th gate = new park. Eventually, some day, most likely, it'll happen. I think we're at least 5 years or so away from Disney even looking at DESIGNING a new park, but we'll see. The increase in numbers for WDW, if sustained over the next few years, may fast track that.

ChuckS: I agree. It looks like the new "Pixar" area in MGM is going forward, with the Midway Mania ride being the first cog in the machine. But MGM is somewhat limited in area it can expand into. From the rumors, it looks like the Backlot may be history, and the Pixar area will take over much of that land (and some cast parking and outbuilding areas, too). Once that's done (2 years or so)...I think MGM is probably mostly done. AK is going to be a big question mark. Everest is doing a good job of pulling in guest but I agree...they could use more D and E ticket "ride type" attractions. Maybe, someday, we'll get Beastly Kingdom over there....or something else to balance out the park a bit. Again, though, I think with the sheer numbers Disney is seeing, that will likely happen after, or toward the end of, The Studios project. I wouldn't be surprise to hear it's in the planning stages soon, actually. And yes, Epcot (and by them MK) will likely need some freshening up. But that will happen in the normal course of things, as it often has.

So that puts us ABOUT 7 years out from now...2014-ish. AK opened in 1998 (hard to believe it's been almost 10 years!). I'd expect we'll see SOMETHING in the way of a 5th gate by then.

JimC: Many of the reports have indicated it wasn't so much the $$$, but the demands Jo Rowling made from Disney. Demands that, apparently, were significantly lessened (if you look at the scope of what Universal has put out there, and the plans/picture) for Universal. Why that is, or what exactly happened during negotiations...I guess we'll always have to wonder. But I'm not sure Disney dropped the ball on this one, entirely. It'll be interesting to see what they do in response...because you KNOW they'll do something. Maybe it's the Pixar addition to MGM....but I wouldn't be surprised to see something "larger" announced within the next 6 months or so.

For the next 15-20 years I think every new resort will be DVC or at the very least Regular Hotel/DVC hybrid. DVC seems to be a sure thing for Disney because we as DVC owners are paying up front for 50 years of use at the resort (not including MF etc.). So by the time the contracts at a new resort are sold out, Disney has pretty much gotten a return on its investment. Plus more DVC means more guaranteed return visitors every year. Which means the parks stay full, the restuarants stay busy, and the retail sales increase every year (theoretically that is).
I think as long as DVC continues to be as popular as it has been, then there really isn't a need (financially speaking) to build a non-DVC resort. JMO

Here's the thing (and it's been a point brought up previously in this type of discussion):

You build DVC resorts. Who's filling those contracts? I'd say it's LIKELY your regular visitors, who were hotel guests previously, are filling those units (along with add-ons by current DVC members). So, ultimately, Disney is going to have to find a way to replace that hotel volume it loses through DVC membership. Granted, it's a problem MANY companies would probably like to have, but it's still something they need to keep in mind when projecting out their "needs" for new resorts.

I think you will see both. I definitely think you will see something happening to the rest of Pop Century, maybe family suites.

JimC: Many of the reports have indicated it wasn't so much the $$$, but the demands Jo Rowling made from Disney. Demands that, apparently, were significantly lessened (if you look at the scope of what Universal has put out there, and the plans/picture) for Universal. Why that is, or what exactly happened during negotiations...I guess we'll always have to wonder. But I'm not sure Disney dropped the ball on this one, entirely. It'll be interesting to see what they do in response...because you KNOW they'll do something. Maybe it's the Pixar addition to MGM....but I wouldn't be surprised to see something "larger" announced within the next 6 months or so.

According to our own WebMaster Pete (our fearless leader here on the DIS), he is putting his money on Disney totally capitalizing on Star Wars as a response to Universal getting Harry Potter. Disney already has the licensing agreements with Lucas, etc. And Star Wars has the cult-like popularity of that wizard kid...lol...as well as multi-generational popularity. Of course, this is just Pete's hypothesizing. As for me....I am not really a fan of either, so would rather see something else.

I have to agree w/ WebMaster Pete. Star Wars makes to the most sense.

They've had to keep adding SW weekends and now they're making the "Jedi Training Academy" :darth: a daily event at MGM. I think they need a D or E ticket type Star Wars ride. Star Tours is cute, but there's so much more they could do w/ the SW movies. :yoda: :chewy: We need things for the older kids too & SW interests the teens too. It's too bad they're so ltd for space at MGM. SW is the only thing I can think of that can compete w/ Potter for fan interest.

Many said AKV wouldn't happen.....so who knows where the next DVC resort will be. They sky's the limit and it's just fun to dream. :cloud9:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter