What do you tell cast members??

NerdyDisDad

Earning My Ears
New resale member and just had our first wonderful experience at Aulani with a trip planned at the Grand Cal in July. Loving the experience so far!!

What do you tell cast members when they ask you if you are dvc members? Fully aware that we don’t have discounts and don’t feel comfortable putting CMs in that position, but also feel like service is a tad bit better and am proud of our new membership. Seemed like resale was a foreign concept to the CMs I talked to here.

We just had this issue when going this past week. I was asked all the time and sometimes I said no, sometimes I hesitated and said "yes but we are resale members and I know we don't get the discounts." I was given it I think twice during the 5 days staying at BLT. One was for Chef Mickey's, the waiter didn't seem to understand what I was saying with being resale and not getting a discount, he wanted me to show something that says a DVC member and said it should say on the app, I pulled it up under Memberships & Passes and it just says Disney Vacation Club Member with no indication and he said that was fine and gave us 10% off. Gave him an extra tip

I'm not sure if I've been asked when it comes to discounts. Its usually been up to me to TELL THEM and have them apply my blue card.

I'm not sure if I've been asked when it comes to discounts. Its usually been up to me to TELL THEM and have them apply my blue card.

Some will but I did find less asked me this trip and I had to mention to them I had the discount. Then they wanted my digital card and license.

I don't think I've ever been asked, specifically, if I am a DVC member.

At DLR, I am asked, without fail, restaurant or merchandise, if I "have any discounts". Much less often at WDW. When asked, I respond "Yes, Magic Key and DVC", or just "DVC" in Florida. Just last Sunday, we went down to do some Christmas shopping and I was asked at (Disneyland) River Belle Terrace, Disney Clothiers, and The Emporium, (DCA) Elias & Company, Fiddler, Fifer, & Practical Café, and (Grand Cal) Craftsman Grill, and Acorn's Gifts & Goods. 100%

If I was asked if if was DVC (which I don't think I've ever been asked by anyone, ever), I would simply say yes.

Thanks everyone. Some good insight and might be an aulani thing. More often then not I was asked if I was dvc.

Last trip in July was asked at each restaurant if I was a DVC member, said yes but resale. They asked to see my DVC account and I got the discount.

Same thing at stores.

September was our first trip as members after buying direct in May. When asked, the phrasing was typically "Any discounts for you?" They didn't ask if we were "members", so in the case of that style question, you can just say no.

September was our first trip as members after buying direct in May. When asked, the phrasing was typically "Any discounts for you?" They didn't ask if we were "members", so in the case of that style question, you can just say no.
Agreed - they asked if we had "any discounts" almost every time, in every store, & restaurant. One just replies with the discount they qualify for, & shows proof plus ID. Since there are AP, DVC, Disney Visa, & CM discounts, it would be silly for them to initially ask if one qualifies for each discount individually.
The only time we were asked about being DVC Members was at the few places that only offer a discount for eligible DVC (La Hacienda, Swan/Dolphin, etc), and the DVC lounges/events.

Last edited:
Agreed - they asked if we had "any discounts" almost every time, in every store, & restaurant. One just replies with the discount they qualify for, & shows proof plus ID. Since there are AP, DVC, Disney Visa, & CM discounts, it would be silly for them to initially ask if one qualifies for each discount individually.
The only time we were asked about being DVC Members was at the few places that only offer a discount for eligible DVC (La Hacienda, Dwan/Dolphin, etc), and the DVC lounges/events.

Now that you say this, you are right..this last trip they said do you have any discounts..not are you DVC or AP.

Then when I said I gave both they just said it’s the same so either card will work.

The only time we were asked about being DVC Members was at the few places that only offer a discount for eligible DVC (La Hacienda, Dwan/Dolphin, etc), and the DVC lounges/events.
Exactly, they aren't going to run down the list, one discount at a time for DVC, AP, D23, Disney Visa, etc. Again, I've NEVER been asked specifically if I was DVC.

Sometimes you DO get discounts if you are resale. Award Wieners in DCA is one example. My (crusty, used, resale) DVC # was on my MDE when I put in my mobile order and I got the DVC discount automatically. I just say "yes", and if they ask if I am a direct owner I clarify.

Maybe its just me, but why say you are resale unless they ask?
I'm with you, Cyberc 1978
I have Direct & Resale points, and Blue Card privileges.
When CMs ask if I'm a DVC member, I simply say YES!
Most of the time they afford me the DVC discount without having to produce my card.
I would, however, have the same response, even if all of my points were resale.
If a CM asks, specifically, what discounts you qualify for; that's a different question.
You are not obfuscating if you answer the "Are you DVC?" question with a simple yes!

On a recent trip, Most case member just took my word for it that I am a DVC member.....

Very few asked to see the digital card.....

The ones that did, didn't look very closely. I printed out a copy of one for our Au pair to use and she had no issues....

She really doesn't look like a Robbie either....

I'm all for blue card perks, but until Disney gets their collective act back together with training enjoy,

Our last trip was our first using DVC membership, bought resale. We received discount on every eligible purchase. Each time we pulled up our card on phone as asked. The single biggest discount item was a $150 haunted mansion shirt we bought our son with $30 off. I’d have issue with trying to exploit something but in this case WDW keeps making things more and more convoluted that guests and CMs alike can’t keep up with all the minutiae. It’s up to them to keep track of what they’re doing. If it is too much for them, then it is also too much for me.

Agreed - they asked if we had "any discounts" almost every time, in every store, & restaurant
That has been our experience as well. Never asked specifically if you were AP or DVC. Once we showed the appropriate card, it might bring up another question, often not.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter