• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

What do you Stock up for cold weather?

wishesuponastar

DIS Veteran
Soup
mittens
yarn - like to have a project to crochet
Make sure I always have flour, choc chips and butter for cookies and cocoa powder & milk for hot chocolate

All the necessities--canned foods, water, batteries, propane, toilet paper, prescription medications. Just before last Christmas we had an ice storm. We only lost power for 6 hours but many of our neighbors were without power for several weeks. Nothing was really open and roads were covered with ice and blocked with downed trees. We always keep this kind of stuff on hand so we can just hunker down and wait it out if we need to.

Thank God since 2003 I'm able to say NO FIREWOOD! We converted to Geo Therm and never look back. Well, except when we put a romantic log on the fire for old times sake! We burned wood to supplement our high electric heating bills every winter for 36 years. We'd have a small tandem truck load delivered every winter. The stacking, storing, splitting, the mess! :faint:

The savings since with GT are great too!

Sorry, :offtopic: we stock up on soups, and stew like foods to cook on the same 'ol woodstove just incase.. ;)

Windshield washer fluid. They use a TON of salt and sand on the roads here and they're often a sloppy mess. Many time I've pulled into a gas station and found they are out of stock. It's also super-expensive to buy there too so I usually get it by the case at WalMart and am never without a jug in the trunk during the winter months.

I make sure to have homemade soup and chili ingredients as well as toilet paper. ;)

bags of ice melt

lots of firewood (we only use wood for heat), no high gas or elec bills that way
soup

hot cocoa

prescriptions, pet food, bottled water (just in case)
toilet paper

batteries for flashlights (just in case)

windshield washer/deicer fluid

in the trunk --blankets, shovel, bag of cat litter (great for getting out of icy spots), some of those hand warmer pads, gloves, hats, scarves, and our gas tank is always kept full in the winter, in case of getting stuck or stranded somewhere

Firewood for the woodburner I hate to use but was thankful for when we lost power for several days in an ice storm.

Full tank of gas for the gas logs, batteries and working flashlights, gas in the car, plenty of extra gas for our generator, paper products, bottled water, canned food.

We also run the bathtubs full if we were expecting a big ice storm. I also try to have a few new games or card games or puzzles hidden away in case we need a few distractions. We are in NC so these are pretty rare, but occasionally we get a huge one and because the area is so under-prepared, it cripples our area. Our home is wired for a full house generator but the one we have will only power a few things at a time. Oh, and cash is important too.

Ice melt, baking supplies, ingredients for soup (like many cans of broth!), tea, coffee, hot cocoa- and wine. Red wine.

Firewood for the woodburner I hate to use but was thankful for when we lost power for several days in an ice storm.

This is why we kept our woodstove thanks to Mother Nature ; 'Ol Man Winter hasn't been successful in taking our power out yet. Of course I may have now jinxed this winter! :headache:

The one time we lost power for 3 weeks the main things we needed were cash, gas for the grill, and full tanks of gas for our cars. Food wasn't an issue because we had to use up everything in our freezers as they started to thaw (which gave us plenty for the first week) and I keep a lot of non-perishable food on hand (enough to feed us for two months if need be).

Since then, I've purchased solar chargers for our phones as well as a water purifier that will last through 10,000 gallons of water. In the event of a huge snow emergency we could use it to purify melted snow if we needed to.

I don't actually stock up on anything but my shopping list does change.

Instead of grass bags I get Ice Melt.
Instead of cooking cold salads there is soup base in the freezer.
Instead of the grill, I have a lots of stews and or dinner recipes that turn the oven on.

Nothing really special for winter, as I keep a good stock of just about everything all the time. :)

I have done this ever since DH was in an accident and totalled his truck when we were camping. He was fine, which was the most important thing, but we were stuck at the campground for a few days and had very little food in the pantry and no way of getting to a store. I hated that, so from that point on have always kept a well-stocked pantry whether at home or in the camper.

Generally when I use something I have another one in the pantry, and put it on my grocery list to buy another as well.

We could probably live out of our pantry and freezer for at least a month! :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter