• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

What do you regret not doing or starting when you were younger ?

I wish I tried out for golf team in High School. Was reall ygood golfer when I was younger but for some reason did not join.

Well, hindsight is 20/20 and I try not to hold on to too much regret, it can really rob you of what you have, but.....

1. If I had known then what I know now, I would NOT have gone into education. I would have studied something different.
2. I would have been more careful with my health and weight and not allowed myself to need to work so hard to get it all back.
3. I would NEVER have taken out 2 years from my retirement account (stupid, stupid, stupid!)

I regret not racking up credits at the local community college and using them to transfer to a post-secondary where I could challenge the exams.
Also NOT sticking with any of the languages I took in school - Spanish, French, German, Arabic or Japanese... now I have to go back and achieve basic level fluency in them!

I wish I had started running when I was younger. I'm 32 and started running last year, now I am in better shape than I was for most of my 20s. I think it took the maturity of being 30 to understand that getting fit requires consistency and tenacity. It was embarrassing when I couldn't run a mile or when my first 5k was a pace of 15 min miles. But in a little over a year I've gotten better and I recently ran a 10 mile race with a pace of 11 min miles. Feeling strong and healthy is awesome, I wish I had done this years ago.

I regret not getting a useful degree in something I loved that actually had decent job openings. I'm still not clear on what that would have been though. ;)

I also wish that I'd seen more of the world.

I wish I had spoken Spanish with my kids whenever it was just me with them as they grew up. At the time I didn't want to do something that might feel like it was excluding DH---but I think having had a second language from the get go would have been really helpful to them

I wish I had finished school post HS to become an LPN. It's not a "regret" because I can't see myself as a personal caregiver in that sense. But, had I at least finished, I might have gone down a better career path.

I wish my parents had pushed me a little more to stay with gymnastics or figure skating. I was passionate about those activities but too impatient as a child to stick with the beginner levels. Meaning, I wanted to go straight to the advanced level without mastering the basics first.

I with an I had taken my grandmother up on her offer to teach me to knit.
I also wish I learned to speak up for myself MUCH sooner than I did!

I wish I finished my 4 year degree. Also, wish we saved for retirement sooner than we did.

Not choosing a better major in college. Chose Sociology. Should have done nursing, PT or hotel management or some such.

Another financial one. I "moonlit" at Costco in the early 80's so I could purchase a new vehicle. It was store #2. Since I had a very specific goal with my earnings, I did NOT purchase the employee stock that was offered. Ay Yi Yi!

Even if I'd just purchases a little bit it would have been so fun to watch it over the years.

I regret choosing career over love.

I wish I had come out 35 years ago, but it was a different world then.

I've had a good life, but it's filled with several very important "what ifs" that would/could have made all the difference in the world to my current level of happiness.

*Not investing in Apple back in 1999.
*College major of Criminal Justice. Then 9/11 hit and it became a useless degree.

Not getting my master's degree. I am considering doing it now, but the program I want won't accept me until next year, spring of 2019. I'll be 38 years old. That means I'll be 40 when I graduate. 40--ugh! My oldest child will be getting ready to start college just a few months after I will finish up my degree.

Wish I would have started saving for retirement earlier than what I did.

Saved more, finished my degree, traveled more, learned to cook sooner, and went to Starbucks less.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter