• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

What do you LOVE about your home?

I love our neighbors and our wonderful community. Lots of activities at the clubhouse and on the grounds-- movies by the pool, tennis clinics, yoga on the green, book club, parties, etc. There's a pancake breakfast with Santa & Mrs. Claus this morning. Plus, the neighbors are all kind and thoughtful and we often exchange baked goods or other food. If someone's child has outgrown a bike or sports equipment it's offered to someone with a younger child, tools are borrowed (and returned!), there are no barking dogs, no roaming pets, and everyone picks up after their dog. I like that my kids have friends in the neighborhood. There is a pocket park with basketball court a few houses down the street that my son and his friends can walk to. The community is also very multi-cultural, and I like my kids to grow up thinking that's the way the world is supposed to be (although on the other hand they're seeing ZERO economic diversity).

I love the location of our house. It's on a wide, quiet, tree-lined street. Everyone has a three-car garage so there aren't many cars parked in the street. Our house backs up to a preserve so our view from our lanai and our living and family rooms is acres and acres of woods. The woods have deer, bobcats, wild turkeys and lots of other animals (not all of which I love--I'm talking to you, snakes and wild pigs).

I love that we have just the right number of rooms and that most are pretty large. Besides the master that we share, my husband and I each have a room of our own to use as office space or for whatever we want; having a space all my very own has been wonderful for me and I never want to go without that again. I have a spacious kitchen with plenty of storage and counter space. The kids each have their own bathrooms which cuts down on the arguments, haha. I like that the laundry room is good-sized with a utility sink and storage, and that it's a separate room, not a thoroughfare to the garage. I like my second pantry that my husband built me in the space under the stairs. I like how pretty our pool and lanai are and how restful a view they provide, looking out over the pool into the woods, and that area is perfect for entertaining. The house in general is great for entertaining, with an open, flowing floor plan and lots of open space and seating.

I mostly love that in a few short weeks it'll be paid off!

It's paid off.
It's in an excellent location.
12x30 covered porch across the back of the house.
Excellent parking.
Large walk-in pantry and laundry room.
We're in a neighborhood but aren't on top of other houses.
I would say how big the living room and the bedroom rooms are
Mine are TOO BIG ... very costly to heat and cool; if I could change things, I'd rather have smaller rooms and better closets.

I love that our home is a peaceful place. We made that a priority when we moved in that peace would reign here and that we would work to keep it that way. One of the best decisions we ever made.

#1 the location
#2 the decor (although spending so much time here looking at it over the past 10 months has me itching to redecorate)

The addition we did in 2013 of extension of living room and a master bedroom. I just love looking at the living room now (the rug! the wood slightly vaulted ceiling! the big windows!), and having a bathroom attached to bedroom instead of having bedroom upstairs and bathroom downstairs. And once we moved downstairs, we turned an upstairs bedroom into two huge closets for the girls who then had the second floor to themselves.

Having us all super close upstairs was good for when they were little but spreading out once they were teens was fantastic.

I've been here for over 20 years now....I love my home:love: It's small,and funky. I love the funky design I've added to it (each room has it's own theme and era) I love that it's small so less cleaning and storage of unneeded junk- I love that it's got a huge backyard and surrounding woods my kids grew up playing in.... Iove my funky fun decor,my comfortable couches and bed, my beautiful (and tiny) kitchen that always has good food cooking- my plants,my pets,my family and (someday again) my friends gathering here... We live on a deadend street so nice and quiet too. And my back deck which is fantastic. Oh, and it's almost paid off. best part of all!

It's not too big, has two ovens, has a gas fireplace, we made a home theater room with projector, has a big dedicated shower, and has a jetted tub. :-) Quiet culdesac with (knock on wood) good neighbors.

The space. I think we would have been okay at our last home we were in, but this one that moved into 5 or so years ago has made this pretty easy on us. 2 adults working from home and 2 teens with school. If I had to listen to my husband's meetings all day I would die.

It's home. When you are 63 and lived in the same house 37 years, that's number one. Over half my life, and half my life experiences happened while I lived here.
Home is important to both my wife and I. Me, because it is only one of 4 houses I have lived in in my life. My wife, whose father was career Air Force and moved frequently, six times in one year alone, because she doesn't want to move ever again. It's not the structure, the design, the features, it's because of the living that has happened here.

As for the physical aspects, well, when my wife and I moved in a 3 bedroom, 2 bath 1754 square feet was huge. Raising two children, it suddenly seemed small. We added on. Now that the kids have moved into their own homes, a 4 bedroom, 2 1/2 bath 2010 square foot home seems huge.

As friends our age with two story homes go through the expense, work and sometimes, heartache of moving to a single story home, having bought a single story home to start with seems like an advantage. Many of them having had to move in their elderly parents realize that will be them some day, and stairs really suck.

Having a 25 X 16 Family Room and a 25 X 16 Living Room was a plus. That is where we spent most of our waking hours. Watching those home shows on HGTV our 5 X 9 (also known as standard sized) master bathroom, 5 X 9 second bathroom and 3 X 5 half bath (or power room if you prefer) seem tiny. But they have done everything we needed. Never have understood the need for two sinks in a bathroom. My bathroom in my parents house had those. In the 53 years my parents owned the house the right sink never got used, so much so, when I sold the house, both the hot and cold water faucets were rusted in the off position.

Doesn't hurt that it has been paid off for over 20 years (can you say 15 year mortgage?). But again, when you have spent over half hour live in the same house, it is home and that is what is important.

I like that my home is decorated the way I like and unabashedly reflects my age and the age of the home. We have made some updates here and there, but have no desire for it to look like a brand new home and no shame over the parts we've chosen to leave original. I like the look to be layers of years and a mix of styles.

The people in it and the memories of raising a family here, so it's pure emotion and sentiment.

I like how you put it and since we raised our 3 sons here and they are in their 30's now and one being 40; I will say the same.

I like that it's been paid off for years

I like the giant yard as our sons did and now grandkids get to enjoy.

Not a single thing. I thought about no payment, but I have rent for the property so can't go there.

It's a temporary home until my next one. I just don't know if the next one will be my final home or if I'll have time and resources to get into a house again.

Actually, I don't even care about the building I sleep in. I want a small piece of property out away from everyone again and my main priority is a garage. I'd keep this place if I could move it out to a piece of property. I don't need an actual house to sleep in.

My attached garage!! I also love the part of town that we live in. It's close to my parents, our church and most of my friends live in the general area.

I have several things I love about our home, which we've lived in for 22 years.

The first thing is the look when you walk in the front door. The front door is elevated 3 steps from the driveway, and also 3 steps from the living room. When you enter, there is a foyer and you look down into the living room with real wood fireplace, all windows and doors out to the large roofed patio, and then the pool, deck, and back yard outside. I never get tired of that first look, and I notice it every single time I come in the front door!

The second thing I really love is our neighbors. Our neighbors on both sides and two across the street have all been here for 20+ years, and we're all friends. We all look out for each other and we all get along very well.

The third thing I really like is our neighborhood. We live in a busy, very convenient area of Miami, but the unique nature of our neighborhood (and our street in particular) makes it a very quiet, peaceful place to live. We are surrounded on three sides by a big county park and a county wellfield. Our street is kind of in a little niche in the neighborhood directly adjoining the park -- so we're a little out of the way, and there is very little traffic. Our street, and the street just south of us are only one block long and have just six houses on each side of the street.

And of course, we've lived here a long time, so there are a ton of wonderful memories. It really is a dream home for us!

Location is number 1. We love the neighborhood. There lots of restaurants and stores close by, we have easy access to multiple highways and it takes about 6 minutes for me to walk to the train for work. Our apt is in a co-op so we don't have to worry about snow removal, landscaping and things like that.

Also, we have an indoor parking spot.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter