What Do You Like Better Now Than Before COVID?

This thread is tough. Everyone pretty much saying the same things because really, not so many pros- BUT, here we go:

PRO:
Mobile Ordering! (this is a game-changer and saves so much time waiting in lines)

CONS:
*No more toppings bars (pecos bill/cosmic rays)
*No International program at Epcot (though I heard it's coming back- still, this was a huge miss for us, as an experience traveling 'around the world')
*Genie+ and paying for rides. That is crazy when ticket prices and on-property stays are through the roof
*No more Magical Express/complimentary shuttle from the airport
*Pin Trading is at a bare minimum
*Food price increases/food quality down at many of our favorite restaurants
*Change in perks on AP (meaning, a loss of perks)
*No more zip lock bags at Splash (I know, silly, but my daughter still asks where they are every time we go on it)

*No International program at Epcot (though I heard it's coming back- still, this was a huge miss for us, as an experience traveling 'around the world')

The international program has started returning with the France, Canada, Norway, Germany, Italy, and UK pavilions. I haven't been to Epcot since they started returning but hopefully it will make the experience better.

This thread is tough. Everyone pretty much saying the same things because really, not so many pros- BUT, here we go:

PRO:
Mobile Ordering! (this is a game-changer and saves so much time waiting in lines)

CONS:
*No more toppings bars (pecos bill/cosmic rays)
*Genie+ and paying for rides. That is crazy when ticket prices and on-property stays are through the roof
*No more Magical Express/complimentary shuttle from the airport
*Pin Trading is at a bare minimum
*Food price increases/food quality down at many of our favorite restaurants
*Change in perks on AP (meaning, a loss of perks)
*No more zip lock bags at Splash (I know, silly, but my daughter still asks where they are every time we go on it)
And truthfully, mobile ordering was already rolled out pre-Covid. It was accelerated once the parks reopened, but it was going to be expanded anyway.

I like the cavalcades. I miss having "impromptu" character sightings, so it's fun to all of a sudden hear the cavalcade music and be like "hey, there's a cavalcade coming, let's go watch", instead of having to stake out a spot for a scheduled parade.

I like that some of the table service restaurants offer a To-Go option. Sometimes I want TS food without having to actually sit down at the restaurant. I also like that the Allergy menu's have been added to the Mobile Order functionality.

I actually like Genie+. I may like it better if it was free. Then again, I may not because everyone would be using it and the choices would likely be a lot slimmer. Previously, with FP+, it was very difficult to get rides later in the evening. I haven't had that issue with G+.

I'd say mobile ordering, but I was using that pre-covid and it felt much more exclusive without as many people knowing about it. It actually sort of felt like a cheat to skip the line lol.

#1 SECURITY

This new way is sooooooooooooooooo much better.
AMEN to that! Forgot about the bag checks! We always bring a backpack with 2-3 umbrellas, drinks, chargers, etc...

Now we know just to pull out the umbrellas and other necessary things and hold them out in front of us and we normally just zip right through! SOOOOOOO much better than standing in that bag line while the other 4 in my family are just standing there waiting.

Dan

But you could do that with FP+ for free?
To me, I would MUCH rather decide the day I am going to a park rather than two months before I even start my trip. I would honestly pay double the current ILL prices and if they got rid of Genie + and charge ILLs per ride, I would likely spend well more than $15 per day on that too.

The "free" thing limits the times I have the option of choosing and makes it harder to get
How does it do that? We never had any problems getting what we wanted and the times we wanted. I still don't understand how paying for what used to be a free service is better, unless it's a class thing - only those who can afford to throw that kind of money away during vacation get to use the service? Family of 4, using Genie+ and ILL on a 6 day trip costs how much?

I do love some of the new rides and experiences. I think some of the new park experiences and attractions recently announced also have some potential for me to like them. However, for me, it's hard to find much more beyond that for "pros" of Disney since now there are so many paid for add ons that were once included, annoying nuisances like park reservations or perks reserved for those staying deluxe only. However, I do prefer the way we tour the parks now as a result of G+ and iLL$. We don't rope drop, we're way way more laid back and rarely make adrs. I suppose some of this is just our kids getting older so we do things a little differently but I think a lot of it is related to G+. I don't love G+ for the sake of now having to pay for it, so on that token, it's a negative..... but I would say we turned the negative into a positive. I think back when we were FP+ planning, I'd over plan and in turn, it took the spontaneity out of our trips so now I do feel like our trips are more low key.

Having had an AP since 1994-ish, and a member of the Disney Club before that, I have seen many, many changes over the years. And they’ve almost always meant less perks.

Security check is my favorite recent change.

Having DAS able to schedule on MDE is a huge plus!

Mobile ordering is growing on me.

It’s nice to see the CP back!

I like the new passholder magnet.

I love the 50th castle!!

Yes. With FP+ you were normally presented with 3 different 1 hour windows to choose from so you could choose the 1 that best worked with your plans. Also decreased to crisscrossing around the park as you could choose return times in similar locations rather than having to take next available time.
I don't mind paying for Genie + (not thrilled, but can live with it) , just wish it had left all the features of FP+. A few simple changes - repeat riding, modify times and rides would make it so much better.

I love Mobile Ordering and the requirement to have a ready order to enter most QS restaurants. It has cut down a lot on table vulching and allows people with food to find a table. It worked perfectly at the ABC Commissary and Satu’li Canteen. Both restaurants were quite busy and finding a table would have been very difficult if they allowed table savers. It was not a requirement at Harbor House and we sat near a family of 7 picnickers with food from Subway and other carry-ins including drinks with no apparent purchases from the restaurant. The restaurant was not busy so it didn’t keep paying customers from sitting.

Standby lines and virtual queue only were big ones for us. I wish all theme parks would just stick to standby and virtual queue. These Pat to play cause issues everywhere.

We also enjoyed the calvacades and random character sightings. I’m glad Pooh catching butterflies is still a thing lol.

Also some of the food got even better. We loved breakfast at Trattoria Al Forno when we did the bon voyage in 2019! In 2021, while we missed the characters, the food got infinitely better! Long live the Al Forno eggs!

I think the new setups are possibly easier for short to medium term travelers, someone who decides to go on vacation to WDW about 3 months out. While they might be dealing with what's leftover hotel wise, they're not fighting for scraps with dining reservations.

I'm putting Genie+/Lightning Lane/ILLs in a separate bucket....those changes were in the works before COVID, they just didn't take effect until after COVID, so I don't view them as a COVID induced change. I'm neutral on them. But my first experience with Genie+ was much better than my first experience with FP+

I like the Skyliner better now. It was fantastic in Dec 2021 but was only testing on our last pre covid trip in July 2019.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter