What do you do?

zzyzx409

No Ears yet!
What do you do?

It seems that Disney parks are getting more and more crowded. I use a scooter to get around, I have not been able to "walk the parks" since 2003.

It seems that no matter where I go or how careful I am, it has become more difficult. But I take my responsibility to be safe very seriously.

But, sometimes even (especially) when I am stopped people will just run into me, I have no where to go, they are usually distracted, not paying attention or recently texting while walking is picking up.

When I try to alert them before they run into me... They get upset and huffy and yell some foul words at me. Sometimes I just let them go (hoping beyond hope) that they will see me and stop. If they do see me they yell for me to get out of the way, there is no place for me to go, that is why I am stopped. if they don't see me, well you know...

Sometimes when I am making my way through a crowd some will just dart in front of me frequently causing me to panic stop, endangering those behind me.

Recently at EPCOT I was stopped, waiting for people to move, so I could move and a person about 3 or 4 feet away with their back to me was taking to someone else, suddenly they turned and before I could say anything they ran into me. I exclaimed that they needed to watch where they were going. Instead of an apology they said I need to watch where I am going, and watch out for them, after all "I was the one on wheels" it didn't matter that I told them that I was stopped and they ran into me, they just said, "so what!"

What strategies do you use to avoid the situations, and after they do occur, what do you do with this internal build up, this accumulation of these events, how do you just "let it go". It is getting harder for me, I am almost considering just not going anywhere, Anymore. But I really do enjoy Disney parks

I have similar experiences in my day to day life on wheels. Someone even told me that people like me should be in hospitals so that we don't get in the way of normal people.

You cannot control other people's self-absorption and ignorance. Know that they are in the wrong, they are responsible for watching where they are going. I feel bad for them, honestly. You are doing the best you can. Sometimes making a joke instead of calling them out diffuses the situation. Something like "hey, it sure is crowded here today, isn't it?"

Do not let them take Disney from you, you have as much right to be there as they do.

I found this a lot this year. If someone looked as if they were just going to walk smack into me, looking to their side or just generally 'off with the fairies', I just stop dead and hope they'll check forwards every now and again. Mostly they don't and do walk into me. Usually they just grimace and say sorry and I sort of smile at them and move on. There's really not much you can do other than grin and bear it. Sometimes I call out, "Wakey wakey!" and they stop dead, see me, apologise and step to one side.

I tend to think of the scooters as vehicles, and as such, you are only responsible for the space into which you are moving. If someone 'rear-ends' you because you had to stop short, it is his/her fault. If they walked into your side, it's their fault. But if they step into the space in front of you, they are pedestrians and you are a minimobile, so they would have the right of way, sort of - depending on flow of traffic, etc. I do know I'm nervous thinking about my mom ever using a scooter at WDW...

I tend to think of the scooters as vehicles, and as such, you are only responsible for the space into which you are moving. If someone 'rear-ends' you because you had to stop short, it is his/her fault. If they walked into your side, it's their fault. But if they step into the space in front of you, they are pedestrians and you are a minimobile, so they would have the right of way, sort of - depending on flow of traffic, etc. I do know I'm nervous thinking about my mom ever using a scooter at WDW...

I don't subscribe to the wheelchair, scooter bound as being in "vehicles", just different legs. If iit is like a "minimobile", does that mean that the person who steps in front has no responsibility to watch where they are going?

A real life example, Should a person do a traffic check when at a crosswalk, or just assume the right-of-way regardless of the consequences?

If someone steps in front of someone else who walking, and causes someone to fall, who is responsible?

I don't think one group (wheelchair or scooter bound or walking) bears more responsibility, I just feel that all should be careful and "own up" to their individual responsibilities,

I am not trying to be argumentative, just express a view different from DinseyOma.

I don't subscribe to the wheelchair, scooter bound as being in "vehicles", just different legs. If iit is like a "minimobile", does that mean that the person who steps in front has no responsibility to watch where they are going?

A real life example, Should a person do a traffic check when at a crosswalk, or just assume the right-of-way regardless of the consequences?

If someone steps in front of someone else who walking, and causes someone to fall, who is responsible?

I don't think one group (wheelchair or scooter bound or walking) bears more responsibility, I just feel that all should be careful and "own up" to their individual responsibilities,

I am not trying to be argumentative, just express a view different from DinseyOma.

I think the person using the scooter bears more responsibility only because you can do a lot of damage with a scooter compared to a person walking. That's why I stated it's a minimobile - it doesn't stop on a dime, and requires more than a reflex signal to get it to stop. There's just an inherent liability involved.

As I stated in my previous post, it depends on the flow of traffic as to 'who steps in front' - and who is in the right - so if the main flow is down Main Street, and someone walks at right angles to cross the street in front of an ECV, then the ECV should have the right of way. But if all are going in the same direction, and there's no single lane of trafic, then no one is at fault.

The real life crosswalk example - this shows how an ECV is really a vehicle. The person in the crosswalk has the right of way, traffic is supposed to stop as soon as that person puts a foot into the crosswalk (or you think they will). Of course lots of drivers don't pay attention, or think the pedestrian should wait until it is clear, so the pedestrian uses common sense and looks both ways. But that's just because of the bad drivers.

Your argument falls down, because using those 'rules' if you're going the opposite direction to other people then you're expected to give way to them. Using that logic, you'd never get anywhere as people constantly stream and short of going the same way as everyone else, you're always going to put yourself in the 'give way' position. It's just not feasible.

I think the person using the scooter bears more responsibility only because you can do a lot of damage with a scooter compared to a person walking. That's why I stated it's a minimobile - it doesn't stop on a dime, and requires more than a reflex signal to get it to stop. There's just an inherent liability involved.

The real life crosswalk example - this shows how an ECV is really a vehicle. The person in the crosswalk has the right of way, traffic is supposed to stop as soon as that person puts a foot into the crosswalk (or you think they will). Of course lots of drivers don't pay attention, or think the pedestrian should wait until it is clear, so the pedestrian uses common sense and looks both ways. But that's just because of the bad drivers.

And you are right, a person on an ECV can cause more damage, but if the walker causes the person on the ECV to fall, well, most of us on ECVs are older and a even minor fall creates major lifelong damage. Think about that when injuring an older person.

Good luck with you attitude on crosswalks. I was not comparing an ECV to a vehicle, I was just comparing common sense and each person being responsible for watching where they are going. If you feel that everyone should watch out for you, and you have no responsibility for your own actions...

That is exactly the kind of person I was referring to in my original post.

Good luck with that.

These posts make me nervous It will be our first time in the park, and the first time using an EVC for my hubby, on more than the practice runs at Walmart that he's taken. I plan to run buffer for him when I can, but I'll be pushing a stroller for our 4 year old son who will more than likely be walking the majority of the time. So not only will we be constantly running into each other I fear, we've got all the people in the parks to worry about too.

I'm just hoping a loud "excuse me" or "beep, beep" will work. But I have no problem being forceful if I need to. After reading many threads on the subject, I'm getting prepared for battle.

. Instead of an apology they said I need to watch where I am going, and watch out for them, after all "I was the one on wheels" it didn't matter that I told them that I was stopped and they ran into me, they just said, "so what!"

I'm betting they wouldn't feel that way if your "wheels" were attached to a half ton automobile.
Wheels win every time in a battle with a person.

I never expect anyone running into me to say they are sorry. When going through a crowd, I always go through with an excuse me, sorry because I know people tend to be annoyed no matter how careful you are. A smile and and excuse me through them off and most people smile back. I use one at home in my everyday life, so I drive an Ecv pretty well.

These posts make me nervous It will be our first time in the park, and the first time using an EVC for my hubby, on more than the practice runs at Walmart that he's taken. I plan to run buffer for him when I can, but I'll be pushing a stroller for our 4 year old son who will more than likely be walking the majority of the time. So not only will we be constantly running into each other I fear, we've got all the people in the parks to worry about too.

I'm just hoping a loud "excuse me" or "beep, beep" will work. But I have no problem being forceful if I need to. After reading many threads on the subject, I'm getting prepared for battle.

The ECV's we've rented have horns, but they don't make a lot of noise, and the pedestrians around you often don't appreciate being honked at. It's the old "pedestrians have the right away at all times" mentality.

While you're "running interference" for your DH, keep in mind that toward the end of the day, mental fatigue might set in. I know my reflexes on the ECV are slower after several hours in the parks. I feel fine because the ECV has preserved my physical stamina, but mentally I get tired from being "on the alert" all day, and just being among the crowds in general.

Your argument falls down, because using those 'rules' if you're going the opposite direction to other people then you're expected to give way to them. Using that logic, you'd never get anywhere as people constantly stream and short of going the same way as everyone else, you're always going to put yourself in the 'give way' position. It's just not feasible.

That's why here in the US, we tend to have pedestrian traffic that stays to the right side of the paths, like a roadway. Then people stay out of each other's way when travelling in the opposite direction. Of course, then you get tourists from 'leftie' countries that tend to stay left, etc.

That's why here in the US, we tend to have pedestrian traffic that stays to the right side of the paths, like a roadway. Then people stay out of each other's way when travelling in the opposite direction. Of course, then you get tourists from 'leftie' countries that tend to stay left, etc.

As someone from the US, I disagree. At most zoos, amusement parks, or nature parks where I have been that have wide paths, such as WDW, most people seem to go both directions on either side of the path and most of them are from the US. Even on the sidewalks, most people walk straight down the middle until they come across something in their path. Many are likely to step to the right, but if one person is not paying attention, it is just as likely to have to pass on the left.

You also need to remember that in the US, on roadways, if there are pedestrians, they are supposed to walk towards the vehicle traffic if they are on the roads. So, if the wheeled devices (wheelchairs, EVCs, strollers, etc...) are vehicles on the "roads" of WDW then everyone else should either be on the sidewalk or walking against them on the edge of the path.

You dont need to be in a chair for this attitude , plenty of people walk into me and accuse me of the wrong doing... people have their heads up their A$$ way to much these days and then blame the victim.. Ive learned a couple of things.. most of the time , its just reaction rather than the real person being a pig.. but sometimes.. just sometimes you get that one that is an A$$.
I use a cane and am slow.. so if someone is not paying attention they will walk into me..or just stop... if they do that and I end up walking into them , I say oops sorry you stopped and I walked into you.. if they stop and I Do managed to avoid them,, I say excuse me.. and ask them to move... if they walk into me,, and they dont say anything,, then I let it go , unless they hurt me..
you have just as much right to enjoy your trip as anyone else.... so I would try not to let D heads upset you and ruin your trip....
if someone wants to hurt themselves on your wheelchair thats their right.. :)

We are the pushers of two wheelchairs. We are always yelling out to other people "watch out" or "heads up" to walkers who are not watching where they are going. It seems that with the wheelchairs, were given more slack than scooter users. The perception being that wheelchairs are kind of like strollers. That being said, our last trip to WDW was during the off-season (2nd week of December) and the time of year helped immensely. The time before we went in late January. We try to go off season as much as possible to avoid crowds and issues such as the ones you are describing. I also think that during the cooler months, people are more forgiving as they aren't sweating to death and dealing with their own crankiness because of the heat.

We are headed to Disneyland for the very first time this weekend! We'll see if the people in California are any more polite than the crowds of WDW.

I push DS in a manual chair, and I get stuck in the same traffic jams as ECVs. People keep squeezing in front of me, which makes me have to wait much longer to get moving. Honestly, last trip in late October, I had several problems with ECV guests darting in front of me, just as I finally was able to move forward; it was really obnoxious. And I have had parents SHOVE their kids ahead of us as we enter a line queue, saying get ahead of them, quick quick. I don't let that go without a comment.....

I have the same anxiety getting on a bus line. I have to board at the WC spot, and if the line is long I just cannot handle the looks of impatience and hostility from the regular line. I understand that it is their problem, but I just cannot handle it. (We drive to the parks, but I try and use bus for MK sometimes). I have to get DS onto the bus, then fold up his big heavy convaid chair, and try and lug it up the steps onto the bus where we block several seats. Too stressful.

The walking and texting is an issue, but some of that is Disney's fault, they are looking at the MDE app. They need to pull over to the side to check that, lol. I wish in general that guests would walk on the right side on narrow walkways in the parks, it would really help everyone.

PS WAY WAY less WC and ECVs at DL vs. WDW. So it is generally much easier, even with the narrower pathways.

On my trip in October I was forced to use an ECV and will more than likely need one on any future trips due to a chronic disease that I was recently diagnosed with. I felt humiliated having to use one to begin with and for the most part people were okay but it was a very eye opening experience. Suddenly I became invisible to people and after 2 days of trying to guess where people were going and when they were going to jump in front of me I was beyond frustrated so what I did from that point forward if I saw someone walking towards me and I couldn't get past them I just stopped and if they walked into me it was on them because I was stopped. One or two people said something and I said to them they needed to be aware of their surroundings as I was stopped and they clearly were not paying attention, they just quickly walked away. In my opinion the worst are the people who's heads are buried in their phones or the one's taking pictures and they keep walking backwards. If I was driving behind someone I would tell them not to backup some were not paying attention and did at that point my attitude was shame on them.

There were two funny experiences I had. I had a fastpass for toy story midway mania and there was a woman to had her daughter run in front of me to get glasses and then when I got up to the gate the CM was letting me through and she was yelling at her daughter to go but the CM had stopped the daughter, mom was stuck behind me and when the mom yelled why do we have to stop the CM told her so that I could go through without interference. There was some other idiot who made a nasty comment that started with "you people" I am such a wise A** sometimes and my response was be careful what you say God could put you in one of these someday, he was so stunned he stuttered and walked off.

While I know it is my responsibility to watch for people, it is also the people who are walking who have a responsibility to be aware of their surroundings it isn't all on the guest who needs a mobility device.

When I try to alert them before they run into me... They get upset and huffy and yell some foul words at me. Sometimes I just let them go (hoping beyond hope) that they will see me and stop. If they do see me they yell for me to get out of the way, there is no place for me to go, that is why I am stopped. if they don't see me, well you know...

Sometimes when I am making my way through a crowd some will just dart in front of me frequently causing me to panic stop, endangering those behind me.

Recently at EPCOT I was stopped, waiting for people to move, so I could move and a person about 3 or 4 feet away with their back to me was taking to someone else, suddenly they turned and before I could say anything they ran into me. I exclaimed that they needed to watch where they were going. Instead of an apology they said I need to watch where I am going, and watch out for them, after all "I was the one on wheels" it didn't matter that I told them that I was stopped and they ran into me, they just said, "so what!"

What strategies do you use to avoid the situations, and after they do occur, what do you do with this internal build up, this accumulation of these events, how do you just "let it go". It is getting harder for me, I am almost considering just not going anywhere, Anymore. But I really do enjoy Disney parks

Wow! Except for the fact that it wasn't in Epcot, it was in Animal Kingdom, you could be describing an issue I witnessed. Animal Kingdom was especially crowded the day I was there, so there were lots of close calls. Fortunately, no unpleasantness-YET!

On my trip in October I was forced to use an ECV and will more than likely need one on any future trips due to a chronic disease that I was recently diagnosed with. I felt humiliated having to use one to begin with and for the most part people were okay but it was a very eye opening experience.

Boy, you could be describing me. I was also using an ECV in October, for the first time, due to a condition I was recently diagnosed with. And like you, I really felt humiliiation-a lot! It was a solo trip, and the first day I used an ECV, I called home and cried as I told my husband "I had to rent an ECV". Too bad we didn't meet-we could have rode our ECVs together for a little while. Just curious, did you rent off-site or from the parks? For me, I had had this great (!) idea that I'd be able to manage with my cane (yeah, right!) but by day #2, that wasn't working, so I rented from the parks. But you're right-it's a real eye opener!

Wow! Except for the fact that it wasn't in Epcot, it was in Animal Kingdom, you could be describing an issue I witnessed. Animal Kingdom was especially crowded the day I was there, so there were lots of close calls. Fortunately, no unpleasantness-YET!

Boy, you could be describing me. I was also using an ECV in October, for the first time, due to a condition I was recently diagnosed with. And like you, I really felt humiliiation-a lot! It was a solo trip, and the first day I used an ECV, I called home and cried as I told my husband "I had to rent an ECV". Too bad we didn't meet-we could have rode our ECVs together for a little while. Just curious, did you rent off-site or from the parks? For me, I had had this great (!) idea that I'd be able to manage with my cane (yeah, right!) but by day #2, that wasn't working, so I rented from the parks. But you're right-it's a real eye opener!

I rented off site only because I was there in August and had real issues and I was with family in August but October was my solo annual pilgrimage to Food and Wine and I really wanted to enjoy myself. Lets just say if I didn't rent a ecv it would have taken me about a half hour from the IG entrance to the top of the little hill where you can either go to France or UK

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter