• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

What do you do with all of your "layers" on a day that requires layers?

Layers, I hate dealing with that.
It was the one advantage of a stroller, rolling layer storage

A late afternoon nap/swim at the resort can sometimes give the opportunity to change into something warmer in the evening.

It's why I now prefer to go during hotter times that don't require layers, or get really lucky like this Christmas ;)

Pretty sure that's why my wife married me: to carry all her stuff :)

Backpack. She made me carry BOOTS! She wanted to wear flip-flops when it warmed up, and BOOTS when it got chilly. Maybe I should be the 'traveling locker guy' and charge $5 to hold people's stuff at WDW?!?

We just returned from a trip needing layers. At 1st I carried them in the back pack but there wasn't room for all 4 just for 3 so the boys tied theirs around their waist. Then later on my husband took them to a locker while we waited for a parade or character or got a snack. Only 1 night did we need to get them before we left for the day and hubby went and got them for us.

Many of our WDW trips require layers. Each of our three boys carries a string bag (I buy them on etsy - very cute, embroidered with their names - they are now ages 15, 14 and 8 and they still love them.) I have one too (not my name, but runDisney stuff like 13.1 and 26.2.) So each person's layers go in their individual bag. I have a very light weight columbia jacket omniheat jacket that I wear at home in 20 degree weather - it's super compact and fits in the string bag easily. The boys have sweatshirts, fleece jackets or both.

Also, we always take an afternoon break at the resort. This has really helped with the temperature swings because we always know we'll be back at the resort to bundle up for the evening hours.

Layers. It got pretty cold when we went last January. In past trips we had brought 3-in-1 winter coats and took them apart & used pieces as needed. But last year I bought all of us lightweight "packable down" jackets for each of us that compress & fold down into their own small little individual drawstring bags. There's only 3 of us but so we could get all 3 of them into 1 shared backpack once it warmed up enough to shed a layer. One day it didn't really get warm enough to ditch them but so we were glad we had them. They're not designed for super cold tho so we also each had hoodies & fleeces that we wore too so that we each had layers on. I also brought our ski glove liners so we'd have gloves. IIRC it was 50ish during the day & low 40's at night a couple of nights. Once the sun goes down it got pretty cold. The coats have been a good investment - I now wear them to indoor sporting events because I can stuff them away and I packed them to take to Hawaii last summer to use when we went up to Mt. Haleakala for sunrise. Very practical. We have also rented lockers before if we wanted to even ditch the backpack… The other thing we all bring for these kinds of seasonal trips are convertible pants. DH & DS have the kind that zip off into shorts & I have a couple pair that roll up and fasten into capris.

If we are going to a park in the morning, taking a break in the afternoon then going back in the evening, we will get a locker in the morning. You can leave your layers in the locker and take your key out of the park with you. When you return in the evening and need the layers, they are there waiting for you. Also, if you say spend the morning at MK and switch to Epcot in the afternoon, or even take a break and then Epcot evening, you can use your receipt from turning in your key at MK to get a locker at Epcot without having to pay as long as it's the same day. You will have to put down the deposit, but you get that back. A lot of people don't realise you can do this.

For us, layers means a hoodie over a t-shirt. The hoodie will go into my backsack should the temps warm up enough.
We have never brought jackets with...they get to stay in the car at park n fly ;)

I pack what I need for each day in the morning....in thinner layers. And I carry a purse that can hold what I am not using. The guys in my family all do the same, except they just tie that extra jacket layer on their waist if needed. Think layers,not coats. For me, b/c I am always cold,my last trip in January, anywhere between 40-75 degrees..... so I wore a t shirt, and a long sleeve shirt. (yep) then I had a thinner sweater on top of that for cooler days, and a windbreaker that I kept rolled into my bag for when it got colder than 65.(yep) I also wore smartwool socks,either the very thin,light ones, or also,on the days when it didn't get past 61 degrees,rolled an extra layer of socks into my bag,to put on at night. Along with a thin fabric scarf rolled into my bag, I never had an issue. That's the beauty of layering, it's all fairly thin on it's own, but on those cold nights, I put on each one, and together it's equal to a big thick coat.(and it's much easier to carry around if needed) My guys just wore a shirt, tied a jacket on their waist and were just fine. One day my DH layered a tee,plus a light sweater,and tied the jacket on for later.

We've had trips where a sweatshirt was necessary during certain parts of the day. . . Since we don't carry bags into the park, I usually go into one of the gift shops and kindly ask a CM for a plastic bag---and let them know I just want it to carry our sweatshirts. They're always happy to oblige.

Not sure what your forecast is calling for but when we were there in November, mornings and evenings were in the low 50s with daytime highs being in the low 70s/upper 60s. The daytime highs didn't reach that until 1-2pm and didn't stay that warm for long. It was also overcast and breezey most of the time. We found that pants, sneakers, and hoodies with a fleece jacket over it worked best. There was a day when I felt it was warm enough to remove the jacket and I was able to tie it around my waist. I had a lightweight fleece one that wasn't an issue to tie. I forgot about it after a while. This worked best for us so we could avoid the lockers, which are at the front of all the parks.

In December, I just toughed it out the first hour or so in the morning, and we always park hopped, so I'd throw on a hoodie for the night. Only one night was it cold enough that I wished I had on more than jeans and a hoodie. Most nights I just had on shorts and hoodie.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter