• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

What Do You Do While Waiting In Line?

Maleficent Dragon

Member Since 2004; lost previous login.
When I travel with other people, I always have somebody to talk to. What do you do when you are by yourself? Talk to strangers? Play on your phone? Listen to your ipod?

I think this is the part that makes me feel the most 'self-conscience' in a way about going solo.

Even when it's not a solo trip I've had to do a few rides solo as DH won't do some, I'd never tend to do anything specific while in line and thankfully always been at quieter times, now the parks have wifi I'll probably use the time to text, check social media etc (being in the UK without the wifi this would be too expensive choice)

I will be sure to carry my Mophie with me. I am considering taking my ipod. I have an armband for it. I love music, I could listen to my podcasts or whatever. I am a chatty person and I have no issues talking with strangers, but not all people like that. For me, it depends on the person. If they get too personal, too close or they smell bad, then I wont talk to them. Good thing I shower in the mornings. LOL

When I travel with other people, I always have somebody to talk to. What do you do when you are by yourself? Talk to strangers? Play on your phone? Listen to your ipod?

I think this is the part that makes me feel the most 'self-conscience' in a way about going solo.
I just wait in the line. lol Doesn't bother me, but I don't ride if the wait is longer than 25 minutes or so.

i'm going solo for the first time next month.
i plan on just walking into a line and seeing what happens. maybe i'll play on my phone, maybe i'll strike up a conversation, maybe i'll just wait in line quietly and observe others.
throughout my whole trip i'm adopting the motto of "i'm never gonna see these people again" so i won't feel as self conscious.
i've got a bit more to overcome than the average first time solo person because i'm visually impaired and i'll be bringing a cane for identifying purposes so people understand that if i'm "in their way" its not because i'm trying to be rude but because i can't see well.
i'm also bringing a flash light for low light situations like in the dark lines and at night.

While waiting in lines I typically people watch but I have done everything you mentioned (talk to strangers, listen to music, play games on phone, etc).

On my solo trips I read. Either a paperback or on my kindle app.

I have a Kindle, but I didnt really think about bringing it. With a DSLR, camcorder, cell phone, something to keep my money in, extra battery and ipod, I figure my camera bag will be full. HAHA - Maybe I should just get an ipad like everybody else.

I ride the thrills without my family. My wife and kids dont like them. I usually talk to people or get on my phone.

I have a Kindle, but I didnt really think about bringing it. With a DSLR, camcorder, cell phone, something to keep my money in, extra battery and ipod, I figure my camera bag will be full. HAHA - Maybe I should just get an ipad like everybody else.
I use the Kindle app on my iPhone. :thumbsup2

I normally use that time to check in with family back home. I also love to people watch. There are so many people at Disney, you will always find someone entertaining to watch.

On my previous solo trips (to DL and DLP) I always had my iPhone and my Kindle (Paperwhite) with me. So whenever I needed to kill time (waiting in line, waiting for parade/fireworks, having meals) I would read a good book.

I never listen to my iPod when in a Disney park - I remember walking into DL with my iPod then realising that there was so much amazing music/atmospheric sound that I really didn't need my own music at all.

On my upcoming solo trip my plans are to have my iPhone and iPad mini with me. As well as a backup portable charger so I won't have to worry about running out of battery!

Yeh I think you'd miss out on some of the atmosphere with your ipod in. Plus you need your hearing to help navigate the crowds at busy times (or at least I do)

I usually take photos of the line details (quickly so as not to hold people up) or I just people watch. Sometimes I'll chat to people but usually only if they say something to me first

When I traveled alone last fall, I just waited in line. Usually, people just aren't that interested in people outside of their own group, so there is no need to feel self-conscious. While waiting to be served in a table service restaurant, I kept up on what was going on at home on my tablet.

I'll respond to missed text messages or chat up with someone in front/behind or castmembers they love chatting

I have the kindle ap on my phone (android) so I read while in line. If there is another solo person in line either they will strike up a conversation with me or I'll strike up one with them. I'm one of those people who actually enjoy the lines so sometimes I just enjoy all the props Disney has laying around. I've been going on vacations by myself for the last 20 years because DH doesn't like to travel unless we are on a diving trip and my son is grown, I love to travel. I love to people watch and lines are great for that, although I'll admit there have been times I've wanted to give a few kids an adjustment or tell teenagers to not be so rude but I resist.

I will be sure to carry my Mophie with me. I am considering taking my ipod. I have an armband for it. I love music, I could listen to my podcasts or whatever. I am a chatty person and I have no issues talking with strangers, but not all people like that. For me, it depends on the person. If they get too personal, too close or they smell bad, then I wont talk to them. Good thing I shower in the mornings. LOL

Yes, I find that I end up chatting with the others in line whether or not I was with my husband or when I went to DISNEYLAND alone. Perhaps some people notice I am alone and go more out of their way to engage me... I don't know. I'm more of an introvert but that never deters me from chatting it up with like-minded folks and we will all getting on that ride / attraction in common! (*_*)

Being an old Disney Vet - dont forget that a great number of the rides and attractions have interactive stuff you can do or just fun stuff to look at. I always go in the last week of October and so if there is a line at all it's moving pretty fast. A Dis Vet like you shouldnt have a problem chatting it up.

For me personally (my first solo to WDW will be in Oct)... being in the line alone isn't going to bother me. I tend to day dream or watch the scenery or as i said - chat with those around me. I go inside of myself very easily so I guess that would make it easy for me.

Funny the only time I really believe i will get LONELY is when I take a break. I'll want someone to chat with about the day and about upcoming plans. Perhaps I can use that time to sit back and text my other DISBoard friends (there are 2 so far) who will also be at WDW during that time. Perhaps sending them a selfie of where I'm relaxing at or texting that I just go on Splash Mountain three times back to back. lol.

Going to retire at the resort might be lonesome too - except that in most cases I'll probably just be in the mind of showering getting to bed with a little tv.

I've always had good luck in long times getting into random conversations with people around me. I usually wait for someone else to break the ice and just go with it.
Never had a bad chat at the parks :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter