What do you do to save on rental cars?

This is terrible advice if you are booking for a busy rental time. Rental agencies often run of cars. Make a reservation at the best price you can find, then check it occasionally to see if prices drop. Prices do NOT always drop at the last minute either.

I am relating my own experiences. I have rented cars at MCO close to 20 times. At all different times of the year. I always use Hertz. They have never come close to running out of cars and I have ALWAYS scored at least a 30% savings over my earlier reservation (which I said, I always make a backup reservation just in case). One time, my reservation was $30/day for an intermediate car. I literally rebooked during my layover on the way to MCO. The new price was $12/day! That was my cheapest rental ever. It was a Fri-Mon rental during WDW Marathon weekend in January 2015.

This method is basically foolproof with Hertz rentals out of larger international airports.

I checked Costco and the price I got through budget for a mini van with AARP was about $15 cheaper than the price I saw with Costco.

We don't rent a car more than once a year but I've yet to find Costco cheaper, even though all I read online is they have the best prices.

Costco & BJ's.com. I don't think you have to be a member for BJ's Travel. I usually book ASAP, and then constantly check for price changes. I rented a car in Nov, and changed my reservation about 3 or 4 times. I ended up getting an email coupon from Enterprise for a free double upgrade. I usually just check my usual travel websites, plus the direct rental websites. My husband also gets a discount from work.

I always book my car with costco. I have one reserved for a trip we are taking in the summer and one in december. If prices go down i just book and cancel the old one no fees.

Normally I book very far in advance, and use BJ's code, and I do have a rental reserved with Dollar with their Special (picture of a car with a blanket over it) and have a rate of $175 inclusive for a week in April

But, I kept looking and went to hotwire, I never used Priceline or Hotwire because, well, I am a control freak LOL

But, I discussed it with my husband, and this trip it is just us, so, if we had to take a shuttle I would deal with it for a good rate.

Well, I got a Full Size vehicle from Thrifty for $118 total!!!! I know I will have to stand on line to get the car, but the difference comes to a really nice meal for us, so I am good with that. It was good to let go of the reins momentarily, and reap the rewards.

Sorry for the whole newbie poking her nose in thing, but if you are member of a union, find out if you get discounts as part of your membership.
I'm in UFCW Local 371, and found out a few weeks ago that we have a member discount program for all sorts of stuff which includes 25% on car rentals.

I priced costco, AARP, and major car rentals. Since I am renting for 3 days but doing a one rental from mco to cruise port the cheapest I got was $151 through UR portal.

If you get an entertainment membership they have discount codes you can use for many of the car rental companies.

Go with the smallest car possible; that will save money.

AAA has had discount codes you can use, too.

Another vote for Costco. I book my initial reservation and then re-check the prices every couple days. I suspect I re-book and cancel the previous reservation 3-4 times for each trip. It only takes a few minutes and has saved me hundreds of dollars.

Do i have to book under my name and the other in wife's or can I book under same name.

Do i have to book under my name and the other in wife's or can I book under same name.

One renter can hold multiple reservations in their name. However, the name on the credit card / debit card needs to match that of the primary driver. Some agencies will permit adding a second driver for free or with a daily fee.

Best rates I've found is with AARP.

I'm following this. I have been looking for rental cards for our trip to WDW in 3 weeks. Have been searching for months. Haven't found any cheaper than $300 for the week. That's the very basic smallest car possible. What's up with all the high prices. I'm starting to think renting a car may not be the best idea because of the higher prices coupled with resort guests having to pay for overnight parking. It's going to cost close to $500 just to rent a car. Is it really worth it?

I agree that I always book ahead of time and check prices frequently, especially every day for a week before I leave. I also recommend not modifying a previous reservation if a better price comes up. I get a confirmation on the new reservation before I cancel the old higher priced reservation so I am not out of luck if something goes wrong during the change process. I have found lower rates in the week leading up to my trip nearly every time, with the lowest rates usually found the day before I leave. i don’t travel at peak times.

I used to find the best prices with Costco. Recently, they have been between 50%-100% higher than rates I get from car company websites. I always check Costco price so so I know when I am getting a good deal.

You can pick up the car rental outside the airport sometimes it is cheaper. I use the site Hotwire.com to find car rentals. Also depending on what traveler you are (solo, family etc.) you can get a cheaper car

I usually book and re-book under my name because they seem to have no issue with multiple reservations under a single name. When it comes time to pick it up, we add my husband as the main driver.

I'm following this. I have been looking for rental cards for our trip to WDW in 3 weeks. Have been searching for months. Haven't found any cheaper than $300 for the week. That's the very basic smallest car possible. What's up with all the high prices. I'm starting to think renting a car may not be the best idea because of the higher prices coupled with resort guests having to pay for overnight parking. It's going to cost close to $500 just to rent a car. Is it really worth it?

I'm assuming you've already made your resort reservation? If so, the fees don't apply this time. This is what I found on the Disney website:

• Effective for reservations made March 21, 2018 and thereafter, standard overnight self-parking is available to registered Guests for a fee that will be applied to their hotel folio upon check-out. All parking fees include applicable tax.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter