What do you do to pass time in line?

We play I Spy, talk about what's next, what we've already done, what's your favorite, etc. We don't mind waiting. We do try to maximize our time, but not always. Sometimes it's fun to stop and smell the roses.

We talk to each other and we look at the details in the queue. We don't get in any lines that have more than a 20 minute posted wait.

I was wondering what everyone does while waiting in line. DH and I have phones but the kids won't and I would rather conserve the phone for FP and pictures. I know if I don't come up with something, it will be telling the kids (4,9,11) 85 billion times to stop hitting each other, don't play with the ropes, etc.
I just tell everyone in front of me that my family is “up there” and see how far I can get.

Before we had the phones we used to go to the arts and crafts store and buy different color pipe cleaners. The kids would spend the time on line making creations. Now they are older and my wife and I go alone so we talk and people watch (and she tells me to stop playing with the ropes).

Some queues have things to do now, and you can hunt for Hidden Mickeys---or anything really--there are so many little details all around you in Disney World that are worth taking a moment to notice. You can make up your own version of I Spy where you have them look for something specific that you've noticed, rather than just guessing what you're looking at. (More like the books--I spy 3 pirates, or 2 fairies, or 18 flowers, etc.)

Or talk about what you'll do after this ride or attraction, later in the day, etc. Or talk about what your best parts of the day were so far. You can ask that every few rides or so to see if anyone's answer has changed.

You can ask them to tell you a story based on the last attraction you were just on--as if they're practicing to go home and tell people about their trip. "What are you going to tell Miss Katie/Aunt Bertha/Mailman Bob, etc. about Dumbo/Small World/Mickey & Minnie, etc. ?"

When I was a kid I stood there and talked to my sister or whoever took us. As an adult I talk to the person I'm there with. I try not to be zoned into a phone for the duration of the trip, even in lines. There's a lot to see and do, and I don't got on vacation to stare at my phone.

I don't care if other people look at their phone so please don't take offense if that's you, just not my thing.

We mostly talk to each other about just about everything, look at the decor along the way including walls, floors, and ceilings, maybe have a snack. We tend to avoid anything over 30 minutes.

Have to echo others, due to refresh, fp+,and knowing the system drops and such, we haven't stood in a standby line in a couple of years. Honestly wouldn't know what yo do if we had to stand in a line.

The last time we went, we had the Junior Encyclopedia of animated characters with us. We used it for characters to sign their page during meet and greets and then we would look through it during long lines.

Thumb wars, Rock Paper Scissors, I Spy, Top 10 favorite...... (movies, songs, characters). But mostly we don’t wait in lines longer than 30 minutes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter