What do you do for insomnia?

No caffeine or decaf anytime after 1 pm, it can stay in a person up to 12 hours.

Create a bedtime routine, dim house lights a certain time and watch very light sit-com TV same time, The Office is a favorite silly option.

If I can't sleep I get up and either read or watch something very boring, I can get DH to fall asleep with many of my favorite shows :laughing: sports works for me.

Mineral deficiency.

I take a multi mineral with magnesium, vitamin D and other minerals. If I miss a couple of days, I have sleep issues and leg cramps.

Surgery can also disrupt sleep. Even months after. I had 2 surgeries last year. Benadryl a couple of nights a week got me through it.

I sleep best with the fewest issues when I…

make sure that I got an adequate amount of physical activity- can’t sleep if I didn’t move enough to be tired.

Limit caffeine to 1-2 cups of morning coffee.

Optimal ambient temperature of 67-68 degrees with cozy covers.

5mg of melatonin

Once in bed, no TV or other electronics. I read until getting sleepy.

If I should wake up(rare), reading only to get sleepy.

My DH (early 60s) is having a terrible time with insomnia. Once he is asleep, he sleeps well. However, it is taking him hours to fall asleep! He had major surgery 3 months ago (but has recovered nicely from that) and the insomnia began about a month ago. He's never had this issue before and it's driving him crazy! He's hesitant to take any prescription meds and OTC meds contain an ingredient that seems to have the opposite effect. Instead of sleeping, his whole body becomes tingly. He's tried melatonin too, but that hasn't worked.

So what are your nightly rituals that help you sleep?
I have tried everything - changing my diet, eliminating caffeine, meditation, massage, yoga, sleep study, alcohol, melatonin, new mattress, new pillows, new sheets.

At age 55 on the bad nights, I use marijuana gummies for sleep. It has been life changing!! I no longer am exhausted, my doctor supports this over prescription drugs, and I feel like a new woman.

Its not a "high" but a relaxing. And don't tell anyone I told you, but I have my 80 year old mom trying some too! (she would be mortified to be thought of as a pot head)

I’ve just started listening to the rain app. I love rain and thunder storm together. It’s been a great help. Plus one of my cats usually sleeps next to me. If I wake up and turn over and touch her she starts purring. Love that sound. It’s very relaxing to me.

I'm a long time insomnia suffer. My problem isn't falling asleep, it's staying asleep.
What I (currently ) do to help: limit myself to 1 cup of coffee in the morning
Use sound bath type audio in middle of night when I'm up vs. watching TV which is
what I used to do.
Try to move more/exercise during the day if possible.
Bought a new bed
I open the french doors in my bedroom to let in the cold, cold air this time of year for
about 20+ minutes before I go to bed, gets my room nice & cold.
Benadryl
Acupuncture
I try to stay up past 9 PM
If I wake up at 4 AM and have slept thru the night that is a WIN and I don't try to get back
to sleep, I just get up then (normally get up about 5 or 5:30 anyhow)
Gaba, which helped a lot, but can't use it long-term
Chinese herbs, they are helping a fair bit and I'm currently only waking up twice a night

What I've tried: Melatonin in various dosages and combinations - does nothing for me
Magnesium
CBD oil type products (don't help my sleep but the muscle rubs made with it work well)
behavioral modification
yoga - helps at first and does make me feel better so I still do it, but not making a dent
in general sleep health

What I'm not trying: Pot (I'm in a safety position)
RX medications (have discussed several times over the years with various Dr.'s but
for various reasons it's not something they recommend for me or something I want
to take.

Long time insomniac here, too. I go in spurts. The last week has been bad again. I do try and read something boring and black and white (no color to the book, magazine, web page) before bed, it seems to tire my eyes. I turn on something not stimulating - like a show that I have seen 1000 times, so I am not engaged in it, but it familiar.

I have tried everything - changing my diet, eliminating caffeine, meditation, massage, yoga, sleep study, alcohol, melatonin, new mattress, new pillows, new sheets.

At age 55 on the bad nights, I use marijuana gummies for sleep. It has been life changing!! I no longer am exhausted, my doctor supports this over prescription drugs, and I feel like a new woman.

Its not a "high" but a relaxing. And don't tell anyone I told you, but I have my 80 year old mom trying some too! (she would be mortified to be thought of as a pot head)
I am seriously want my mom age 73 to try this too, but we are in Germany and gummies are not so avail. only medical but more restrictive... did she consult her Dr first? and or how did you guys figure out how much etc..?

I listen to the Harry Potter books on Audible.

(I set the timer, and fall asleep before it stops - but I've read the books and seen the movies so many times that I'm not lost wherever I pick back up the next day.)

Very happy to hear this! I got my mom and my late grandmother on marijuana gummies for insomnia and pain and they have worked wonders. They feel incredible and sleep well. They don't take enough to get "dazed and confused" baked but enough to just relax and drift off; I'm more of the dazed and confused guy.
but we are in Germany and gummies are not so avail. only medical but more restrictive... did she consult her Dr first? and or how did you guys figure out how much etc..?
I read recently that the Bundestag is considering relaxing some of their marijuana laws in Deutschland so you never know. I have made sure to make reliable contacts in cities over there when I spend a large amount of time and need to sleep.

I listen to the Harry Potter books on Audible.

(I set the timer, and fall asleep before it stops - but I've read the books and seen the movies so many times that I'm not lost wherever I pick back up the next day.)
Yup! Me as well! It’s so familiar it often helps me to sleep because I don’t have to keep up with it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter