What do you do for Christmas dinner?

Christmas Eve everyone comes to our house for a party and gift exchange in the basement pub, and we usually have a buffet. The content varies because people bring dishes. We usually have hot dogs for the kids, a hoagie tray, various dips and chips and cocktail bread, etc.

Christmas Day we don't cook or really eat a meal. We usually have leftovers from the night before.

Our big holiday with family is Thanksgiving so for Christmas I just make a Kentucky Legend ham with sides for my little family:)

Our family is still figuring out Thanksgiving. Have no clue, right now, what will be going on at Christmas.

We do apps/finger foods for Christmas Eve, whatever I’m in the mood to make that year, along with a hot cocoa bar. Then we sit around noshing while watching Christmas movies.

Christmas morning is (vegan) sausage balls and a Christmas tree-shaped pull apart pizza with mimosas for the adults and non-alcoholic bubbly for the kids while opening gifts.

Christmas dinner depends on our theme that year. Each year we pick a different culture and learn about/incorporate their holiday traditions into ours throughout the season. Our Christmas dinner consists of whatever that culture would typically have for their Christmas meal. This year we’re doing Kenya and the food looks absolutely delicious. I’m really looking forward to this one.

Alternate between my family and the inlaws. we take turns hosting. Usually one on Christmas Eve and one on Christmas Day.
Usually turkey with the trimmings for both. Around 15-25 people for both dinners.

I love being home, just the four of us on Christmas. We make foods everyone likes, which sometimes a ham or a London broil. We do a big family dinner a day or two after Christmas with extended family.

Normally we head to my brother's house Christmas Eve for appetizers, snacks, games and a Yankee Swap. Then Christmas Day, I would make a big turkey dinner (sometimes ham) with all the fixins and my sons with their families would either be here for dinner or pop in after they went to their in laws. Not too sure what their plans will be. BUT I was thinking for this year, maybe doing a day of appetizers & snacks throughout the day. MAYBE make a small turkey and pull it apart for sandwiches, but just having a easy kick back day.

What are plans? And what are your favorite apps/snacks to have for the holidays?
Well, once the "kids" grew up and moved, we typically just have Christmas dinner with whoever is available to show up. A pretty small group now - only 4. I do the whole turkey, stuffing, potatoes (mashed & sweet), jello, relish tray, pumpkin pie thing.

For snacking stuff early in the day, I like to do a cream cheese block covered with salsa & wheat thins for dipping. Sugar cookies (decorated) and I used to make a full-on decorated gingerbread house for nibbling on.

Probably not going to get that involved this year, as I'm scheduled for hip replacement early December, and I'm thinking I wont' be up to all that stuff.

We always drive down from Philly to Florida to spend Christmas with my inlaws. Depending on how Christmas falls during the week kind of determines the day we get there. Christmas day dinner depends on what my mother in law feels like making....usually either ham or turkey. We like either so doesn't matter to us. I make a sweet potato casserole that DH really likes so usually I make that. If we are down there for Christmas Eve we usually go out to eat.

We have Christmas Day brunch around 11-12 with a huge spread including ham, potatoes, egg dishes, pastries, etc., and then pick on that or Christmas Eve leftovers later in the day. I used to make a large breakfast for everyone and then a separate dinner and I was in the kitchen ALL day. This way is MUCH easier and so relaxing in the afternoon.

We alternate who is hosting. This year it is DS and DIL. Her family decided not to come, so it will be just the 7 of us.
We will go over for breakfast. I make DD gluten free cinnamon rolls. Not sure what my other assignments will be.
No idea about dinner.
They are also hosting Thanksgiving dinner and haven't even decided on that yet.....just that it is going to be not traditional.

We decided a few years ago that opening gifts was much more fun than being in the kitchen all day. So easy it is. Last year we did chinese take out. Other years we have done tacos where a few make the meat and put in crockpots, others do the tomatoes, onions, cheese, salsa. So all we have to do is heat up the tortillas. With my son's divorce, not sure who has the kids this year so it will either be the day or the eve. We will find out as it gets closer. It's been working out since ex-DIL is a nurse and likes to work holidays to make the OT. Hoping she does it again. (the kids are teens so they don't care when, they just want the $$$)

Pizza....it's basically the answer to everything in life. Thanksgiving is pizza. Christmas is pizza.

We usually do Seven Fishes on Christmas eve, although for awhile when it was just DH and me, that meant seafood chowder and crunchy hot rolls. Currently we are a family of 5 with one who really doesn't like seafood, so we'll see. Still might be seafood chowder and something for my non-fish girl, or I might do a baked stuffed casserole of shrimp, haddock, and scallops (she likes scallops) or something like that.

Christmas day is usually snacky things. We'll make hot dips, get a veggie tray, wings, maybe a cheese fondue or something like that. I realized about a decade ago that I was spending all day in the kitchen while everyone got to use their new presents, play games, and watch TV. I want to read my Christmas books! Also... in my family, Christmas dinner was always a big prime rib. Nobody here eats that way anymore, so even if i wanted to make one, nobody would eat it but me. SO... easy is the name of the game for Christmas dinner.

(For Thanksgiving we've been having duck, but last year we got a smoked turkey at Sam's and man, was it good! I think that's what'll happen this year, too.)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter