What do you change with more trips?

This is a great thread. A few things learned throughout the years:

- we always take a few hours out midday, usually for pool and/or rest time.

- we find at least one thing we’ve never done before- a tour, show, restaurant. At least one per trip.

- instead of planning park days around an ADR or just randomly, we plan them around unique activities- like making sure we’re at Epcot on the night of a show we want to see.

Our trips have changed so much over the years. Technology has changed a ton too since we've been going.
When we first started going it was all about how many rides we could do, surprisingly even with a party of 7 we got a ton done each day. We also used to camp every single trip because it was the most cost effective.
Now we are usually a party of 2, sometimes 3 when our youngest comes with us. We tend to stay in DVC resorts unless we book a last minute trip. We used to love table service meals but now we limit it to one or two per trip, cooking some meals at the resort or doing quick service. We drink more since we aren't in charge of kids. We also really take our time, spending more time just enjoying the parks, getting every ride in every trip is no longer a necesity.
Honestly I love our peaceful trips now. Still loads of fun, just not the go, go, go we did when the kids were growing up.

My last trip was my first trip to WDW as an adult. I learned during my trip that you need a day of rest in the middle of the week. I was there for 5 days. For those 5 days we went to the parks. Near the end of my trip my boyfriend and I were exhausted. Also didn’t help we caught mild colds.

So for our next trip. We’re planning to have day off days. Lounge around the pool or maybe take a day trip to the Kennedy Space Center, explore Orlando,etc.

My last trip was my first trip to WDW as an adult. I learned during my trip that you need a day of rest in the middle of the week. I was there for 5 days. For those 5 days we went to the parks. Near the end of my trip my boyfriend and I were exhausted. Also didn’t help we caught mild colds.

So for our next trip. We’re planning to have day off days. Lounge around the pool or maybe take a day trip to the Kennedy Space Center, explore Orlando,etc.
Pool days are awesome. You can pair that with lunch or dinner (or both) at resorts or Disney Springs. It's a nice break.

1.Take a resort day in the middle of your trip (I didnt this past trip and regret it)
2. No park hopping, too much trouble
3. Try at least 1 new attraction/experience each visit
4. If I can’t go to the Hoop Dee Doo, I’m not going
5. I Pack Less and less snacks every trip. Just budget them out and buy them
6. Don’t wait over 1/2 hour for any attraction, it’s just not worth it
7. Go ahead and pull the kids out of school. The weather is better in the winter and they will not lose that much in a weeks time, even older kids. Family time is just as important.
8. I don’t overpack anymore.
9. Take time to enjoy the little things and don’t sweat the small stuff

Once I turned 21 it became a lot easier to go back and relax at resorts or even just sit down and relax at the parks because I could drink and my parents didn’t have to worry about me feeling left out. And also once I got into teen years they didn’t have to worry about me staying up late.

We’ve tried a variety of things and some stuff is still changing.

What I’ve changed is my attitude.

Someone cuts in line in front of me for Rise? I don’t let it ruin my day.

I’ve planned and booked all our favourite ADRs and now my family wants to eat quick service, or skip a meal altogether? No problem.

I got up early and got us a VQ for Guardians, but the playground at Epcot is more interesting? Have fun, and be nice to the other kids there.

It’s all good. I know we will be back, this isn’t our only trip. My family is together and everyone is happy. That’s a great vacation imo.

We learned to never, ever drive to Magic Kingdom. All the other parks are OK, that one is not. If we're not at BLT, we're taking a bus to MK.
Non-park days are essential to our physical and mental well being. Plus they're pretty fun and relaxing.
When the kids got older, if there were conflicts with what everyone wanted to do, we would split up. Rules were nobody was allowed to be alone and if you were going to leave the park you had to tell Mom or Dad. Just get on the right bus
We always take a break in the afternoon and park hop now.
Epcot has become more about the food and drinks than about rides, especially now that all the kids are young adults and some can drink.
We don't rope drop everyday. Usually just the first 2-3 days. If someone doesn't want to get up, you know where we'll be-see above rules.
We learned pretty quick not to try to do "everything". We'll be back again, maybe next time.

One of the biggest changes I notice happened organically. I used to drive myself nuts trying to figure out where to get ADR’s, what time, etc. Then, when Galaxy’s Edge opened, we didn’t have a lot of time for our usual length of stay-just a short 2 days. I decided not to make reservations, and it was liberating! Now, I don’t get wound up about ADR’s.

Also, I’d sworn not to pay for rides when Genie+ replaced fast passes, but after having to stand in line for hours for Runaway Railway, I rethought that plan. When we go next, it’s only going to be for 2 days again, so Genie+ it will be.

I guess the upshot of what has changed over time is that I’ve learned to be more flexible in my attitudes.

1.Take a resort day in the middle of your trip (I didnt this past trip and regret it)
2. No park hopping, too much trouble
3. Try at least 1 new attraction/experience each visit
4. If I can’t go to the Hoop Dee Doo, I’m not going
5. I Pack Less and less snacks every trip. Just budget them out and buy them
6. Don’t wait over 1/2 hour for any attraction, it’s just not worth it
7. Go ahead and pull the kids out of school. The weather is better in the winter and they will not lose that much in a weeks time, even older kids. Family time is just as important.
8. I don’t overpack anymore.
9. Take time to enjoy the little things and don’t sweat the small stuff

#7 - I *wish* that was true for us. Our high school uses block scheduling. Every class is 90 minutes long. Missing one day of school is like missing 2 days from when I was in school. So taking the kids out for 5 days is more like taking them out for 10. And it's even worse when they have honors or AP classes (which our kids did) as those classes involve even more work and usually move at a faster pace. There is no way to be able to take them out of school for a Disney trip and actually have them enjoy the trip -- they would have spent all of their vacation time trying to keep up with school work. We know 2 families from our school who *did* take their kids out of HS for 5-6 days to go to Disney and they said they regret it and would never do it again as their kids spent hours every day sitting in the hotel room doing school work so they wouldn't be so far behind when they got back. We did take our kids out of school when they were in elementary school, but I wouldn't even consider it in our high school. Fortunately, our youngest is graduating this year so it's no longer an issue for us. My parents took my brother and I out of school for 2 weeks for a trip to Disney and other places in FL when we were in HS and even back then (before block scheduling) we spent a lot of vacation time keeping up with homework. I won't deny the memories were great, but it was stressful and it's not fun to drag schoolwork on vacation. We could have had the same memories during non-school time. It might work for some families depending on their high school, but it's definitely not a good/feasible idea for everyone.

SLOW DOWN

Even in DLR where we knew the rides were different, looking up park operating hours have allowed for us to slow down and really see what’s there. We know some rides we must do every trip but others if we miss it we miss it.

I only hope to be able to afford to go with my future kids enough that with each trip we can do something new and not worry about missing something else.

Things we've learned/modified over the last 23 years of Disney trips:

1. We used to only get 5 days of tickets for a 7 day stay. Then we booked under the Buy 4, Get 3 free deal in 2009 and we had tickets for every day. What a difference. We went to EP on arrival day for just a few hours and on our usual down/resort day we went to DHS for a few hours in the evening and to watch Fantasmic. We realized that having tickets for every day of our stay meant we didn't have to try and cram everything into 5 park days. We could slow down a bit and tour more casually.

2. Along those same lines, we've eliminated the "no parks" days of our trips. We found ourselves wishing we were at a park most of those days anyway. So we now compromise. We have 2 or 3 days during our stay when we sleep in and usually hang out at the resort or DS for a few hours and then head to a park later in the afternoon. Even if we only spend a few hours in the park those days, it feels more productive for us and again, it allows us to slow down because we don't feel like we need to cram everything in to 4 or 5 park days. If we rope drop a park, we take a break in the afternoon. We actually found ourselves much more tired on the trips were we took a day or two off from the parks because we spent more hours per day in the parks on those trips. We might feel differently if we went for longer amounts of time (I think if we did 9 or more days, we'd probably take a day off in the middle) or if we visited more often (we go every other year).

3. There is no need to carry everything you *might* need to the parks. After several trips of lugging a big crossbody bag full of crap to the parks, an unplanned stop at AK after shopping and lunch at DS made me realize I did not need that bag. I thought our few hours at AK would be terrible because I didn't have our "stuff". Guess what. I didn't need any of that stuff. And I realized that 99% of stuff in that bag had never been used in 20+ park days over the years. After that day, if it didn't fit in our pockets, it didn't go to the parks. And 30+ park days later, we haven't missed or needed anything that was in that bag. I realize if you've got kids in diapers, you still need to take some type of a bag to the parks. Our youngest was 4 years old when I stopped carrying the bag. (Side note: We chose not take our kids to DW until they were 4 years old (we either planned our trips accordingly or one trip we left the 1 & 2 year old at home with the grandparents -- zero regrets on that one.). So I *never* had to deal with a diaper bag or stroller for my kids while there. I have no regrets about that either. We've done 2 trips to Disney with our son's family (one trip with a 1 yo child and the other trip was with a 5 yo and a 5 mo). Those 2 trip confirmed for me that we made the right decision *for our family* to not take the kids until they were old enough to not need a diaper bag, stroller, or nap. I realize not everyone agrees with that plan. That's ok. Everyone should do what works for them.

4. We don't lug snacks and drinks to the park with us. We usually grab a bottle of water from the room (and occasionally a small snack like almonds or beef jerky -- something that easily fits in a pocket) as we head to the park, but that's it. No insulated backpack or wagon full of food and drinks. We realized very early on that we preferred to just buy our drinks and snacks in the parks whenever we were hungry and/or thirsty. Yes, it costs us a few hundred dollar to do this on an 8-day trip (with 4 adults in our immediate family -- our youngest child is 18) but none of us have the desire to lug that stuff with us to save a little money. I'd rather save up money for an extra month or two before the trip than to worry about trying to save that money on vacation. YMMV.

5. We stopped making ADRs for TS meals for the most part. It allow us to not have to plan everything around our meals. There have always been same day TS ADRs available while we're there but we also have found numerous QS restaurants to just sit and chill at for a nice slow-paced casual meal. Disney life is so much easier without the stress of ADRs. And the reality is, I don't know where I want to eat today, let alone a few month from now. And we have far better restaurants at home than most of the Disney TS restaurants anyway (and we've never been character meal people). Again, YMMV.

6. And from our most recent trip -- Genie+ is almost a necessity during busy times. We used it every day of our trip last June and it was worth every penny. We also used ILLs every day. Yes, it's just more extra costs but again, I'll save up money for a little longer (or save at a more aggressive rate) before our trip rather than go without these things. I'd rather spend $10K on vacation and enjoy ourselves thoroughly than to spend $9K and spend hours and hours standing in line each day and have everyone complaining about that. By our estimates (based on actual standby wait times compared to our wait times for LL & ILL for the same rides), Genie+/ILL saved us at least 2 hours of time every day (sometimes more) which allowed us to have more down time at the resort or to get on more attractions. I was always awake by 7:00 a.m. anyway (I'm used to getting up at 5:00 a.m.) and I was not staring at my phone all day. I'd book something, set an alarm for 10 minutes before I could book the next thing, and put my phone away. We feel like we can probably cut a day off of our stay next time if Genie+ is still in it's current form by then. Our days were far more relaxed and efficient with Genie+ (and we *loved* FP+ and used it very effectively on our previous trips). And once again, YMMV.

Last edited:
Over time I've become a huge fan of the mid-day break. Ropedrop and get on as many rides as you can and eat lunch in the park, do a few more things, then take a break and eat dinner before heading back for evening fireworks.

Things we've learned/modified over the last 23 years of Disney trips:

1. We used to only get 5 days of tickets for a 7 day stay. Then we booked under the Buy 4, Get 3 free deal in 2009 and we had tickets for every day. What a difference. We went to EP on arrival day for just a few hours and on our usual down/resort day we went to DHS for a few hours in the evening and to watch Fantasmic. We realized that having tickets for every day of our stay meant we didn't have to try and cram everything into 5 park days. We could slow down a bit and tour more casually.

2. Along those same lines, we've eliminated the "no parks" days of our trips. We found ourselves wishing we were at a park most of those days anyway. So we now compromise. We have 2 or 3 days during our stay when we sleep in and usually hang out at the resort or DS for a few hours and then head to a park later in the afternoon. Even if we only spend a few hours in the park those days, it feels more productive for us and again, it allows us to slow down because we don't feel like we need to cram everything in to 4 or 5 park days. If we rope drop a park, we take a break in the afternoon. We actually found ourselves much more tired on the trips were we took a day or two off from the parks because we spent more hours per day in the parks on those trips. We might feel differently if we went for longer amounts of time (I think if we did 9 or more days, we'd probably take a day off in the middle) or if we visited more often (we go every other year).

3. There is no need to carry everything you *might* need to the parks. After several trips of lugging a big crossbody bag full of crap to the parks, an unplanned stop at AK after shopping and lunch at DS made me realize I did need that bag. I thought our few hours at AK would be terrible because I didn't have our "stuff". Guess what. I didn't need any of that stuff. And I realized that 99% of stuff in that bag had never been used in 20+ park days over the years. After that day, if it didn't fit in our pockets, it didn't go to the parks. And 30+ park days later, we haven't missed or needed anything that was in that bag. I realize if you've got kids in diapers, you still need to take some type of a bag to the parks. Our youngest was 4 years old when I stopped carrying the bag. (Side note: We chose not take our kids to DW until they were 4 years old (we either planned our trips accordingly or one trip we left the 1 & 2 year old at home with the grandparents -- zero regrets on that one.). So I *never* had to deal with a diaper bag or stroller for my kids while there. I have no regrets about that either. We've done 2 trips to Disney with our son's family (one trip with a 1 yo child and the other trip was with a 5 yo and a 5 mo). Those 2 trip confirmed for me that we made the right decision *for our family* to not take the kids until they were old enough to not need a diaper bag, stroller, or nap. I realize not everyone agrees with that plan. That's ok. Everyone should do what works for them.

4. We don't lug snacks and drinks to the park with us. We usually grab a bottle of water from the room (and occasionally a small snack like almonds or beef jerky -- something that easily fits in a pocket) as we head to the park, but that's it. No insulated backpack or wagon full of food and drinks. We realized very early on that we preferred to just buy our drinks and snacks in the parks whenever we were hungry and/or thirsty. Yes, it costs us a few hundred dollar to do this on an 8-day trip (with 4 adults in our immediate family -- our youngest child is 18) but none of us have the desire to lug that stuff with us to save a little money. I'd rather save up money for an extra month or two before the trip than to worry about trying to save that money on vacation. YMMV.

5. We stopped making ADRs for TS meals for the most part. It allow us to not have to plan everything around our meals. There have always been same day TS ADRs available while we're there but we also have found numerous QS restaurants to just sit and chill at for a nice slow-paced casual meal. Disney life is so much easier without the stress of ADRs. And the reality is, I don't know where I want to eat today, let alone a few month from now. And we have far better restaurants at home than most of the Disney TS restaurants anyway (and we've never been character meal people). Again, YMMV.

6. And from our most recent trip -- Genie+ is almost a necessity during busy times. We used it every day of our trip last June and it was worth every penny. We also used ILLs every day. Yes, it's just more extra costs but again, I'll save up money for a little longer (or save at a more aggressive rate) before our trip rather than go without these things. I'd rather spend $10K on vacation and enjoy ourselves thoroughly than to spend $9K and spend hours and hours standing in line each day and have everyone complaining about that. By our estimates (based on actual standby wait times compared to our wait times for LL & ILL for the same rides), Genie+/ILL saved us at least 2 hours of time every day (sometimes more) which allowed us to have more down time at the resort or to get on more attractions. I was always awake by 7:00 a.m. anyway (I'm used to getting up at 5:00 a.m.) and I was not staring at my phone all day. I'd book something, set an alarm for 10 minutes before I could book the next thing, and put my phone away. We feel like we can probably cut a day off of our stay next time if Genie+ is still in it's current form by then. Our days were far more relaxed and efficient with Genie+ (and we *loved* FP+ and used it very effectively on our previous trips). And once again, YMMV.
1 and 3 are huge tips for me. It makes the trip so much less stressful to get some form of ticket every day, either a normal park admission or a party. Half days in the park really feel more like vacation.

For what I carry in the parks, I still bring a refillable water bottle, sunscreen, my sunglasses, and an extra phone battery. That all fits in one small bag per group. For those half days, I won't need the battery or sunscreen and can fit everything in my pockets and carry the bottle.

We’ve been going for many years and I started following the boards by our second trip. I did the whole week long trip with DDP, ADRs, one rest day mid trip, midday breaks, etc. We’ve tweaked a lot over the years

Get park tickets for everyday of the trip. Our “rest days” are getting up late, doing the pool and hitting up a park around 4-5 pm.

No full rest days. See above. When we did do them we were wanting to go into a park by 4 pm.

Midday break if doing RD. Always.

Sleep in day after two early mornings.
Cut back big time on ADRs. Disney really has a lot of good QS places.

Grocery orders will be for just water. Last two trips too many snacks and breakfast foods went to waste. We just enjoy the snacks too much at Disney. A couple days we hit up Starbucks in the parks for breakfast and on sleep in days we would munch on Gideon’s or whatever snacks we brought back to the room as a late breakfast.

Go to the parks bagless as much as possible.

We’ve been going for many years and I started following the boards by our second trip. I did the whole week long trip with DDP, ADRs, one rest day mid trip, midday breaks, etc. We’ve tweaked a lot over the years

Get park tickets for everyday of the trip. Our “rest days” are getting up late, doing the pool and hitting up a park around 4-5 pm.

No full rest days. See above. When we did do them we were wanting to go into a park by 4 pm.

Midday break if doing RD. Always.

Sleep in day after two early mornings.
Cut back big time on ADRs. Disney really has a lot of good QS places.

Grocery orders will be for just water. Last two trips too many snacks and breakfast foods went to waste. We just enjoy the snacks too much at Disney. A couple days we hit up Starbucks in the parks for breakfast and on sleep in days we would munch on Gideon’s or whatever snacks we brought back to the room as a late breakfast.

Go to the parks bagless as much as possible.

Your list is almost exactly the same a mine. I forgot to mention the cutting back on snacks/breakfast foods for the room. We do eat breakfast in the room most days, but I no longer bring a huge variety of foods for that. I ask each family member what they want for the week and only bring that. I used to try and have a variety of things for everyone to choose from, but that just resulted in lots of leftovers that we'd drag home with us (we drive). I've gotten much more efficient with the food and only had a few items left on our last trip. When I see people posting pictures on FB of food they're leaving behind for other guests....I'm shocked at the amount of food they have left after a week. It's sometimes more than what I take in the first place...for 4 or 5 people!

One more I would like to add:

Flying in the day before.

We have always taken very early flights and been in a park before noon. Two trips ago we actually closed down MK on arrival day so we were up almost 24 hours straight. It was exhausting and really messed with the next 2-3 days of our trip.

Our trip in November I decided to try flying in the day before. We took a 6:30 pm flight and were at our hotel by 930 pm. We unpacked. Ate something and went to bed and hit RD at MK the next day. We loved it and weren’t tired and made the entire rest of the trip not feel so exhausting.

Next trip I plan to fly in maybe around 2 pm and hopefully be at our hotel by 5 pm. Do dinner. Maybe Disney springs for dinner and a little shopping. But I think my days of arriving and hitting the ground running are behind me especially for longer trips. I would hit a park on arrival day if it was a very short trip.

Things I've learned from this trip and we only go every few years.

- Skip the ADR's the food is just ok for the price, unless it's to meet characters with littles or just an meal for a couple. We had more fun & had better food stopping and all the snack carts or quick services places and trying different things than the almost $300 we went at Homecomin'.
-We like rope dropping and it gets easier as the kids get bigger, my youngest is 10 and we had no issues.
-Pay for preferred parking the last day or two of your trip, you'll be glad you did.
-Get the popcorn bucket the first day, those $2.25 refills are worth it!
-Bring your own filtered water bottles, don't pay over $3 for a bottle of water.
-Genie+ was worth it
-Invest in Memory Maker, I loved not worrying about taking the group shots this trip and I got to be in photos for a change.
-Work break days in, 2 park days in a row at most is all I'll do now.
-Get one park hopper pass for your final day or at least know you can upgrade to a park hopper if you missed something at another park and want to revisit it. We ended up doing that this trip so we could go back to HS, and had only planned on going to MK.

We are planning our second trip later this year.

We learned from our first trip that the kids prefer to sleep in for parks they can (Epcot, Animal Kingdom) as they are not fans of early rise/rope drop.

We also learned our family likes the idea of a rest day in the middle of our trip (usually a week).

Thinking of the things we plan to do different I’m wondering what others change over time as they’ve taken more trips.
We are DVC members and now that we vacation frequently, it’s allowed us to spend a lot more time relaxing. I enjoy coffee on the balcony in the mornings, more time at the pool, skip long ride lines and bow out mid day for a little r&r in the room. We also add in a trip to the stables and next trip plan to do some of the crafts at the resort.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter