What do you call your Grandparents?

DramaQueen

<font color=green>for the love of LEO!<br><marquee
This is partly inspired by the 'Do you call you parents mommy and daddy' thread, partly just out of curiosity. I know a lot of cultures have different names for grandparents, or families have different nicknames and I'm just curious.

I have 3 "sets" of grandparents, My paternal ones are pretty standard. My dad's mom & stepdad are "Grandma" & "Poppa", my dad's dad and stepmom are "Grandma" & "Grandpa".
But my favourite grandparent nickname is the name my sister & I call our maternal grandparents. They are "Gubbie" (grandma) & "P" (grandpa). I think it stems from me not being able to say "Grammy" & "Grampie" as a baby and it stuck.
Now EVERYONE calls them Gubbie & P. Our whole family, our friends, even sometimes their friends as a joke. :rotfl:

Anyways, what are your grandparents (or your kids grandparents) referred to as? Or if you are a grandparent what's your nickname from your grandkids?

Both my sets of grandparents were Grandma and Grandpa.
My kids call their's Grandmommy/Grandpa and Mema/Papa.
My husband called his Dana/GranGran and Mamaw/Papaw.

I called my moms parents Grandma and Grandpa. I called my dads mom Nana and her husband died when my dad was 4 so there was no Grandpa on that side. He probably would have been Papa though.

My daughter calls my mom Grandma and my dad Papa. She calls her dads dad Grandpa.

My grand parents had regular names : Granny, Granddaddy, Grandma, Papa. My sister, however, call papa "Hey you!" :rotfl: Seems every time he walked into the room he said in a gravelly voice, "Heeeey, yoooouu!" And that's what she called him.

My MIL named herself Grandmother Lastname--how boring. DS24 fixed that. He called her "Playmom." My mother is Granny, her husband(my step-dad) was Grandpa Dave. I don't much like "Granny" for me. I'm hoping they'll call us Yia-Yia and Papa. But who knows? :confused3 I think most of the time, grandkids choose the names for the grandparents.

My maternal grandparents were Nana and Pa. My paternal grandmother was Gram.

DD calls my mother Grandma and my dad was Grandpa. In fact, she had a lot of grandpas when she was little (stepfathers on my ex's side and great-grandfathers, as well) and for quite awhile as a toddler, she thought any man with white hair was "Grandpa." :lmao:

My FIL and MIL were called Gran and Grandy by their grandchildren.

My maternal set of grandparents are: Grandpa and G.

My paternal set are: Granddad and Grandma.

I always called my moms parents Nanny & Papaw. We called my dads parents Grandmother & Granddaddy.

My kids call my mom & my dad (when he was alive) Granny & Granddaddy, and they now call my step-dad Papa Joe. (Joe is his name)

This is what kills me. When I had DD almost 18 years ago, DH's parents wanted to be called by their first name, so she did, and I hate it. All of the grandkids still call them by their first name, and I just find it odd. :rolleyes1

Now when I become a grandmother one of these days, I want to be called something cute & Disney like... princess:

My dads parents: mamaw & papaw
My moms parents: granny Barbara & papaw Billy

The only one of the above still alive is my dads mom. My kids also call her "mamaw." They call my mom "nana" and they call my dad "papaw." They call my step dad "papaw Jerry" and DH's dad "papaw Hugh."

DH's mom got killed while I was pregnant with DS10. DS12 doesn't remember her (he wasn't even 2 when she got killed) and DS10 never met her. We refer to her as "Gran Gran" when we talk to them about her because that's what she called herself to DS12 when he was a baby.

I had a grandma and poppy, and grammy and pappy. My great grandmother was mammaw.

ETA: my mom wanted to be called grandma, but my son (1st grandchild) called her mammaw and it stuck with all the kids. My dad is pappy. My son had a speech problem and he called my dad "guh" for years. I don't know why he ever stopped calling him guh.

I only have 1 grandmother and I call her Gram. My kids call my mom Gram, my stepdad Pop, my dad Pop and my stepmom Mary.

I think most of the time, grandkids choose the names for the grandparents.

Oh, how true!:eek:

Our grandson is a late talker and he never said "mama" or "dada". He says "mom" for his mother, and he also said "mom" when meaning me, his grandmother. Funny though, because if I repeated him and said "oh, you want mom to do it (meaning gramma) he'd say, "no, want mom", while pointing at me. He obviously knew the difference and could hear the difference between "mom" and "grandma", but he couldn't say it.

Anyway, his "mom" for me has morphed into "Grum".:scared1: My husband thought that was a riot, until he heard our grandson calling him "Grump.":laughing:

So, it looks like it's going to be Grum and Grump for us. Oh dear!:rotfl2:

Oh, how true!:eek:

Our grandson is a late talker and he never said "mama" or "dada". He says "mom" for his mother, and he also said "mom" when meaning me, his grandmother. Funny though, because if I repeated him and said "oh, you want mom to do it (meaning gramma) he'd say, "no, want mom", while pointing at me. He obviously knew the difference and could hear the difference between "mom" and "grandma", but he couldn't say it.

Anyway, his "mom" for me has morphed into "Grum".:scared1: My husband thought that was a riot, until he heard our grandson calling him "Grump.":laughing:

So, it looks like it's going to be Grum and Grump for us. Oh dear!:rotfl2:

LOVE IT!!:rotfl2:

i only have one left, and she is gommy, or great-gommy to my kiddos.

when i was younger mom tried to get me to say grammy. came out gommy and has stuck. sometimes it's even just gom. but man the looks i got as a kid when i said gommy.

now my kid call theirs nanny and grandpa.

We called our grandparents in Germany Oma and Opa and our, equally German, grandparents in Canada Beach Oma and Opa because they lived in the Beach area of Toronto.

My kids call my parents Oma and Opa and DH's mom Nana.

I called both sets of my grandparents grandma and grandaddy.

DD calls my mom and her husband- Grandmama and Mr Joe
dad and his wife-- Pawpaw Mac and Ms Bonnie

she call ex SIL's parents MawMaw Betty and Pawpaw Billy (I know they are related but .....)

She calls DH's parents Grandma "Lastname" and Grandpa "Lastname".

We called our maternal grandparents Memere and Pepere.

Only met our paternal grandparents a few times and called them Grammy & Grampy.

My kids call my parents and DH's dad/step mom, Memere & Pepere.

And they call DH's mom/step dad, Grandma & Grandpa.

Our 5year old grandson calls us Mo Mo and Fay Fay and his other grandparents are No No and Ya Ya. I'm so fine with this because I feel like I'm way too young to be called Grandma anyway.

With my family, growing up I only had one grandparent on each side. So it was pretty easy. Grandpa was Grandpa P****/Grandpa (my father's father) and Grandma was Grandma A******/Grandma (my mother's mother)

Now for my husband's family, since we are in the South, every grandparent in his family has a different name.
Mother's father = Papa
Mother's mother = Grandma
Father's mother = Granny
Father's father = Grandad

Yes, it was confusing to me for years.

Now, my husband and I have a daughter, and one of the first things my MIL and FIL2 (I had two FILs -- one passed away in April) was put a "claim" on what they would be called. Ugh. I say leave it up to the child.

Anyway, we called FIL1 (th one that passed) Grandpa and FIL2 Papa. We call my MIL Granda and my mother Grandma with the kitties or "Other" Grandma. I even sometimes say Grandma Annette (MIL) or Grandma Allene (my mom) but for some reason "grandma with the kitties" stick in my daughter's mind (she is 3).

My Grandparents are all long since gone, but on my Dad's side they were "Grama and Grampa" and on my Mom's side they were "Nanny and Papa". My kids call DH's parents "Grama and Grampa" and my parents are "Nanny and Papa"

I called both sets Grandma and Grandpa growing up so I figured my DS would call both of his sets the same. Before DS was born my MIL kept asking me what ds would call her. I told her if she wanted to be called something different than grandma that was fine she just needed to let me know. She never gave me any other name but kept asking me. She still makes comments to this day about how it is confusing for ds that both grandparents are called the same thing. I think she just wanted me to come up with something but I didn't care.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter