What do you bring for your wheelchairs?

sarabguerra

Mouseketeer
Thank you for all your help sorting out the what and how to navigate this trip with DX needing a wheelchair. We reserved a manual chair for delivery to the hotel.

Now more questions, do you bring anything with you to make your day easier or more comfortable overall? Did you have a need to add something so you could identify it if needed to be parked somewhere?

I agree with the cushion and gloves. Even with her personal wheelchair, prior to her EVC, my sister liked having her cushion. I found gloves good for days when I would be pushing her for most of the day on various terrains. I would also suggest to maybe try not to load the wheelchair with extra bags and things until you get a good feel for what you can push comfortably. I usually kept a bag on the back of her chair, but tried to make sure it was not too heavy or bulky so it did not get in my way of pushing her.

If you're going during the cooler months then early morning and later evening can be cold. Then a throw for the person in the wheelchair is nice. Wrap the throw on the person in such a way (like tucking it under) that it doesn't get caught in the wheels, etc. If not used you can fold the throw up and sit on it.

I like having a bag on the back of the wheelchair to carry a few snacks and some water. You can carry medicine in there, too if needed. Also, some have to carry incontinence supplies.

Bring a poncho just in case that can fit over the wheelchair and person. Obviously you don't want it to drag.

Last edited:
My Mom uses a manual wheelchair in the parks, as it is easier (and much more enjoyable) for her rather than trying to walk during the day. I agree with the gloves if you will be doing most of the pushing during the day. Your hands can get sore quickly. Once, on a short trip I forgot them and created a hack of washcloths from the room held on by hair elastics - worked well in a pinch. The cushion also is a plus for the occupant. If you have a little time before your trip, you can search online for inexpensive bags that strap across the back of the wheelchair (around the handles). I find they come in handy to store things for the day.

A bandana, or a brightly colored length of grosgrain ribbon (will hold up better surprise Florida showers) to mark the handlebars, or a favorite Disney beach towel to cover the seat back...

Gloves are good idea; you don't have to spend a fortune - just some inexpensive golf or biking gloves from WalMart or Target will do fine.

If you hang a bag(s) off the back, make sure that you don't overload the chair - when your rider stands up, the chair will tump over backwards if it is overloaded. Also don't hang anything off the back that you won't take with you on the rides; Disney is a safe place, but there's only so much temptation some folks can stand...

If you need to carry a lot of stuff, you can always rent a locker up front.

If your person will be wearing shorts, remember to put some sunscreen on the tops of their feet, and their thighs, as well as their shoulders and arms, and the tops of their ears (if exposed). When you sit all day, those are the areas that can easily get over-exposed to the sun.

Probably the thing you will wish you had the most, and we all always forget about is a cupholder - but finding one you like is tricky, and can get expensive - so instead, consider a water bottle lanyard (they sell them at WDW now) that has a soft, rubber holder than goes around the neck of the water bottle, and a lanyard. You can get ice water for free at any QS to refill your bottle all day.

Definitely bring these things:

1. A cupholder to hold your Beverly.

2. Something bright to easily identify it in a sea of “Grandma Special” wheelchairs (i.e. your traditional Invacare models WITHOUT all the bells and whistles of a more customizable wheelchair like a Quickie or TiLite).

3. If you’re a “Self Pusher”, definitely get “Pushing Gloves” so that your hands ain’t sore at the end of the day.

4. A COMFORTABLE cushion. Preferably a foam cushion at least 3 inches thick if you’re going to pull all dayers in the chair. (If you can get/afford a gel cushion, get that instead.)

5. Something new I saw a lot of was a portable fan that either clipped on/ wrapped around the armrests of the chair.

If you hang a bag(s) off the back, make sure that you don't overload the chair - when your rider stands up, the chair will tump over backwards if it is overloaded. Also don't hang anything off the back that you won't take with you on the rides; Disney is a safe place, but there's only so much temptation some folks can stand...

As I was searching up bags for the back of the chair, DH reminded me that when we went on our first Disney trip in 2003 we purchased a KYSS crossbody bag to leave with the strollers. It's slash proof, has a zipper lock with an attached chain so you can secure it to any object. I wasn't planning on bringing that bag, but I think it will work for the back of the chair. Doesn't look like they make that model anymore which is too bad. Thankfully besides phones and our credit cards, we don't need much that needs to be secured. We'll

We'll have 4 pushers to rotate and DX will walk some of the time, so hopefully we don't all get too exhausted. Golf gloves we have and are on my packing list now. Gel cushion added to the Amazon list (been wanting one for my office anyway - win/win).

You guys are great! Thank you!

Depending on when you are going, possibly a small umbrella. More for shade than rain issues.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter