• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

What do I teach a three year old about...

diz4me

Mouseketeer
Hi all! We are cruising this November and I am looking forward to it more than you know. MY DDs are 18 mos and 3, and been lucky enough to have vistited WDW this past November, but this will be their first cruise, a 7 day Eastern.

My question is regarding what movies or characters should I familiarize them with before we sail, particularly my DD3. I have seen mention of a Hercules show and something in the kids club regarding Aladdin. They know all the big characters from just being kids and having visited WDW. I figure some exposure now to what they will see on board will make the experience more enjoyable (and less frightening at times). They LOVED meet and greets at the parks, so fear is not a factor.

If you have any advice on this topic, I woul greatly appreciate it!

Thanks!

Peg

We are in the process of doing the same thing for our friends little boy who is 3 and will be cruising with us in May.

The first thing I did was have a friend pick up one of the DCL cruise ship Plush with MM MN and other characters to familiarize him with the basic look of the ship. I also lent them the DCL promo video that shows some of the characters onboard.

Then I lent them the movies of Peter Pan, Aladdin, Beauty & the Beast, Hercules, etc. to get him familiar with all those characters.

I hope it works...our friend said he was frightened of the life-size Easter Bunny at the Mall this holiday...so who knows!!!

MJ

Thanks, MJ...you never disappoint.

I will begin with your ideas, especially the list of videos. My older daughter will love them. She has no fear of characters, but the little one needs some encouragement.

My DD3 sees the screensaver of the Magic everytime she walks past the computer and knows all about the "Vacation Boat!"

Thanks again!

Peg

My sister and her family sailed with us on DCL in January and her DD3 was so psyched to see the characters....we were not sure how she would react but she would just run up and hug them and no fear whatsoever.

She now associates our family with the cruise because everytime we see them at family functions she runs up to me and says....Mickey boat, Mickey boat!!!! Want to go again!!!

MJ

Another thing to work on with the kids is that the characters in REAL LIFE are much BIGGER than what they are used to seeing on the tv. Mickey's not 6 inches tall, he's a good 5 feet (ok counting the tops of his ears:) ) Its the size thing that I have noticed that freaks out the kids.

The size warning makes a lot of sense. Let's hope my DD 18 mos can handle it. I assume the characters don't make any stops into Flounders! Otherwise, when she is with me, she is happy as long as I hold her. My DD3 will be like MJ's friend, running up with no fear.

Can't wait! We will be watching videos and learning characters from now until then!

Peg

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter