What do I need to know about DAS?

becks59

Mouseketeer
My friend and her family are headed to DL and DCA in a couple weeks and they have been told by others that they should try to get a DAS because of their adorable Down syndrome son. I have no info about DAS because I’ve never needed to use it.

What info should I pass on to her? I know nothing! She has attempted to do a video call, but the last time she tried it was a 5 hour wait!

While the zoom call wait can be tedious, it’s worth it because with that pre arrival approval they can pre schedule 2 attractions per day for the length of the stay.

She will have to explain why her son can’t wait in the physically line.

The wait varies based on days and times
I’ve called before 0900 and only waited ~25 min

Last edited:
Your friend will need to do the video call again and hopefully she'll get a better wait time. For us it's usually been under an hour. Once it was only 5 minutes. They'll want her son with her for the call and they'll ask why he can't stand in line. If they allow a DAS, they'll take the little boy's picture and then set up 2 prearranged DAS rides for each day of their visit. Your friend could take a look at the DAS rides ahead of time so she knows which ones she wants.

DAS is kind of like fastpass. Your friend will reserve a ride and be given a return time. When she gets to the ride she'll scan in using her phone, and once she's done that she can choose another DAS ride for later.

They don't have to do the call. Just go to guest services in either park. We did the call once, waited around an hour. At the park it takes 15 minutes at most if there is a line.

You get one return time in person but it's not a huge deal, especially now that you can get return times on your phone.

They don't have to do the call. Just go to guest services in either park. We did the call once, waited around an hour. At the park it takes 15 minutes at most if there is a line.

You get one return time in person but it's not a huge deal, especially now that you can get return times on your phone.

I'm glad it took only 15 minutes for you. It took MUCH longer for us and the line didn't even look that long. (Just people with more complex issues taking up the CMs attention, I think.) Making people who can't wait in physical lines wait in a physical line so they don't have to wait in a physical line is... a lot. And our DAS user had already been approved for DAS a few weeks before that, it just wasn't attached to the correct ticket. Simple fix for us, but the groups in front of us were taking forever.

So yes, you can also wait a long time to do the video call, but it's also waiting at home and not taking away any park time. Really just depends on what sounds easier and more comfortable for the OPs friend. I'd rather never do the Guest Services line again as I like to have all my ducks in a row before I go to the park. But, it's a personal preference.

I'm glad it took only 15 minutes for you. It took MUCH longer for us and the line didn't even look that long. (Just people with more complex issues taking up the CMs attention, I think.) Making people who can't wait in physical lines wait in a physical line so they don't have to wait in a physical line is... a lot. And our DAS user had already been approved for DAS a few weeks before that, it just wasn't attached to the correct ticket. Simple fix for us, but the groups in front of us were taking forever.

So yes, you can also wait a long time to do the video call, but it's also waiting at home and not taking away any park time. Really just depends on what sounds easier and more comfortable for the OPs friend. I'd rather never do the Guest Services line again as I like to have all my ducks in a row before I go to the park. But, it's a personal preference.
That stinks! We have done the line for years now (through all the different DAS versions). The longest was at DCA guest services.

Have they changed it so it cannot be done at the umbrella stands? I can't remember how we did it last time - way back in Feb 😂. My memory is shot!

That stinks! We have done the line for years now (through all the different DAS versions). The longest was at DCA guest services.

Have they changed it so it cannot be done at the umbrella stands? I can't remember how we did it last time - way back in Feb 😂. My memory is shot!

This was at the umbrella stands, unfortunately. The line at City Hall was very long so we went to the umbrella near Plaza Inn where the line looked shorter and it was an atrocious wait. Lesson learned for us. And I'm sure it's not like that every single day, but if I can get it taken care of at home before I go to the parks, then I definitely will.

You can call ahead of time and do the virtual call to get approved and set up a return time ahead of park entry. Be sure to explain WHY they cannot stand in line, as opposed to diagnosis. You can obv use diagnosis to help explain why the can’t stand in line, but shouldn’t be the primary focus. If you do it in person, you can go up to ANY guest services umbrella to do the DAS registration. So many times the line on Main Street or by DCA entrance is super crowded, but as you walk a little more in the park, other guest services lines are much shorter (by plaza inn @ Disneyland, across Carthay Circle at DCA). Hope this helps

Hope it’s ok to add my question on this thread. I will be traveling to DL with a child with a disability whom lives in a different state than I do. If I do the video call, is there anyway to make it a three way call to add him on as well? Or would I have to make his parents do it?

Asking a question here. If my friend can't do the 3-5 hour wait ahead of time for a trip next weekend for this, can they find somewhere outside the gates the day before they visit the park to work it out? Or only in-park?

Asking a question here. If my friend can't do the 3-5 hour wait ahead of time for a trip next weekend for this, can they find somewhere outside the gates the day before they visit the park to work it out? Or only in-park?
It doesn't always take that long. I've had it take anywhere from 10 minutes to an hour. But if they want to do it at the park, they can go to city hall.

Hope it’s ok to add my question on this thread. I will be traveling to DL with a child with a disability whom lives in a different state than I do. If I do the video call, is there anyway to make it a three way call to add him on as well? Or would I have to make his parents do it?
I called Disability Services and asked about this a while back and was told no way to three way call, unfortunatel.

You can still request/renew a DAS at the umbrellas. And the line is usually pretty short. If the wait seems to be taking a long time, just go to a different umbrella/Chamber of Commerce in DCA/City Hall in DL.

In person DAS requests can only be done inside the parks. First thing in the morning, City Hall and Chamber of Commerce can have long lines, but the Information Kiosks/umbrellas can be faster.

Thanks for the info! She's trying to get it done before, but it's good to know the different options if it doesn't work out.

Best times to call: M-F first thing in the morning: 15-30minutes typically. Weekends are atrocious - 3-5 hours.

DLR: in park only. Not available outside gates.

Best bets if you know your way around: skip CityHall/Chamber Commerce.
DL: behind fantasyland/Red Rose Tavern -- 2nd: Tomorrowland/Matterhorn;
DCA: Car's Land entrance - in front of Mater's.

Best times to call: M-F first thing in the morning: 15-30minutes typically. Weekends are atrocious - 3-5 hours.

DLR: in park only. Not available outside gates.

Best bets if you know your way around: skip CityHall/Chamber Commerce.
DL: behind fantasyland/Red Rose Tavern -- 2nd: Tomorrowland/Matterhorn;
DCA: Car's Land entrance - in front of Mater's
Thanks!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter