What do I need to have prepared for online check-in?

Maybe I'm calling it the wrong thing, or maybe I'm not and I can just go in and sign up for stuff without filling out all the forms. Now I'm pretty confused.
Search for current YouTube videos and they will demonstrate what it looks like. This thread gives you the tips to expedite it.

Maybe I'm calling it the wrong thing, or maybe I'm not and I can just go in and sign up for stuff without filling out all the forms. Now I'm pretty confused.
It's different than it was back in 2018 when literally everything opened on one date - so I think you're combining the 2 separate things (check-in and activity booking) into one process in your memory. Remember how it used to be a whole super-annoying thing where we never knew if activities or check-in would open first at midnight? They separated out some of the activities to open on an earlier, different date - Palo reservations, spa reservations, drink tastings, excursions can all be booked before your check-in date; the date those opens is based on your Castaway status and you have to be paid in full.

Check-in is basically the same as before, with the added photo upload part.

Yes, I'm definitely thinking about how we had to do the check in (it was still done by CC tier) and get through those pages to get to the stuff I wanted to book online, like Palo, etc.

So now whatever opens up for me next month (we are Silver) is just getting those things booked? And the PAT? And we do the whole credit card/passport/flight info 30 days out? I guess I'm a newbie again after not sailing for the past few years.

Yes, I'm definitely thinking about how we had to do the check in (it was still done by CC tier) and get through those pages to get to the stuff I wanted to book online, like Palo, etc.

So now whatever opens up for me next month (we are Silver) is just getting those things booked? And the PAT? And we do the whole credit card/passport/flight info 30 days out? I guess I'm a newbie again after not sailing for the past few years.
PAT is the end-result of the credit card/passport/travel stuff; that is 30 days out. Doesn't matter what your CC status is - same 30 days for everyone.

The activities booking date is a good bit earlier and based on CC status - see here https://disneycruise.disney.go.com/faq/booking-reservations/port-adventures-spa-salon-childcare/ (I think when I was logged in, it showed me the date that this would open, but that was back in Dec... can't remember if it gave me the date only after I paid in full or if it was always displayed.)

Online check in (30 days out) is what you need to do to get on the ship (passports, travel info, payment info, contact info, PAT, etc.) Booking window/activities (90 days out for Silver) is what you do once you're on the ship (Palo/Remy, tastings, excursions, etc.). As others have described, they are now two separate things you have to do ahead of your cruise.

So yes, if your booking activities window opens next month, that's when you'll book Palo and any other things on the ship, but that is not your online check in (that's what comes 30 days out). This thread gives you tips on what to do for online check in.

The one exception is that Royal Gathering is done during online check in, not the booking activities window.

Thanks so much for the clear explanation. It's great that I can in and make a Palo reservation and not have to worry about all the other stuff until a later date. :goodvibes

Just make sure you are paid in full and the website reflects that. Website will show a green check mark and “Can’t Wait to See You” message.
Yep, we have that green checkmark on the app. Our PIF date was a month before our booking window for this cruise.

FYI, if anyone is nervous about putting cash and then changing later: if you are on the app, you can scan your credit card instead of typing in all the info. It will an extra couple seconds, but then you don't have to go back later and edit the payment method. Just make sure you have your card handy.

My kid's passports might not be in by our online check in day. If I check them in using birth certificates, what are the odds that I'll be able to switch to passports later? Is there an advantage to switching to the passports? I just got them passports in case there is some big problem and we have to fly home.

For the photo that you take of each person and upload, can you smile and does it have to be a passport type head shot or can you crop a picture you already have? Does the background matter? Thanks!

For the photo that you take of each person and upload, can you smile and does it have to be a passport type head shot or can you crop a picture you already have? Does the background matter? Thanks!
They use it for your security photo, so they want a clear, clean, full face shot. Passport style photos work, but you cannot use the same one you used for your passport (since they want to compare). We took photos with our phone camera standing in front of a blank wall in our house.

You can smile and you can crop if it can be "clean".

My kid's passports might not be in by our online check in day. If I check them in using birth certificates, what are the odds that I'll be able to switch to passports later? Is there an advantage to switching to the passports? I just got them passports in case there is some big problem and we have to fly home.
You should be able to switch to the passports once they arrive. Or, you could just bring the passports on the cruise. DCL wants to make sure in advance that all passengers are clear to visit all the ports and return to the US. If you're US citizens on a cruise leaving and returning to the same US port, either birth certificates or passports are sufficient to show that (unless DCL informs you otherwise that one of your ports requires a passport). I don't know if there would be an issue checking in at the port with a passport if you entered birth certificate information online, but I doubt it. You could bring both birth certificates and passports to be safe.

They are very clear in all the messaging - whatever documents you used to check-in with, bring to the port with you. So if you used birth certificates to check-in, make sure you bring those - even though you might use the passports too.

They are very clear in all the messaging - whatever documents you used to check-in with, bring to the port with you. So if you used birth certificates to check-in, make sure you bring those - even though you might use the passports too.
Thanks, Ill definitely bring both if I cant switch once the passports come in. I'd rather not risk losing ALL their documentation, but that's my fault for not getting their passports renewed soon enough.

Thanks, Ill definitely bring both if I cant switch once the passports come in. I'd rather not risk losing ALL their documentation, but that's my fault for not getting their passports renewed soon enough.
We scan copies i to our Google drive, they are easier to replace if you have a copy. And we remove the scans after the trip for security.

Just to give my experience from last night, it was exactly as painful as many have reported on here. There were 3 ships checking in last night and it was incredibly slow. Every click caused the circle of pain to spin, but I was slowly making progress. I had to do 2 rooms and I got a PAT of 11:45 for the first around 12:45 AM. Then things essentially crashed right before I got to the PAT step of the second room. I was on the last tab before PAT and it simply would not load. I had phone, iPad, and laptop all trying. Finally at 2 AM, I gave up.

I woke up around 4:00 and tried again. Worked with no problem and PAT of 12:15 was earliest available. This morning, I looked again and 12:45 is available. So basically all that stress overnight to get me 30 minutes.

It really is crazy that Disney doesn’t fix this or change the process. It was bad enough as it was but at least it was a Friday night where I didn’t have to go to work in the morning. If this had been a weeknight, it would’ve been even more disruptive.

Just to give my experience from last night, it was exactly as painful as many have reported on here. There were 3 ships checking in last night and it was incredibly slow. Every click caused the circle of pain to spin, but I was slowly making progress. I had to do 2 rooms and I got a PAT of 11:45 for the first around 12:45 AM. Then things essentially crashed right before I got to the PAT step of the second room. I was on the last tab before PAT and it simply would not load. I had phone, iPad, and laptop all trying. Finally at 2 AM, I gave up.

I woke up around 4:00 and tried again. Worked with no problem and PAT of 12:15 was earliest available. This morning, I looked again and 12:45 is available. So basically all that stress overnight to get me 30 minutes.

It really is crazy that Disney doesn’t fix this or change the process. It was bad enough as it was but at least it was a Friday night where I didn’t have to go to work in the morning. If this had been a weeknight, it would’ve been even more disruptive.
Why don't they just stagger the days to 31,30 and 29 days before the cruise date?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter