What do I need to have prepared for online check-in?

Is this for every cruise? I usually went through a TA but booked a 4 night on the wish myself this go around.

Decide on a time you plan to arrive but if you are with Disney cruise line busses you won't have that option but if you got a private transfer booked check times before selecting your port arrival time.
You will need to take a photo of your passport best way do do that is if you have a photocopier or scanner to take photo's of photo ID.
You'll also need self photo's which can be done by digital camera or. Phone.
Airline information such as dates you fly and departure and arrival time so Disney cruises can issue you an atol protected certificate or other travel protection certificate which will be in PDF format.
Emergency contact information will be needed.
They don't ask for travel and cruise insurance policy's but it's still recommended to get it just to keep you and your family safe.

Is this for every cruise? I usually went through a TA but booked a 4 night on the wish myself this go around.
Yes, and it doesn't matter if you have a TA or not. Online check in, in this format, is new since COVID-19. It is for every cruise and you have to do regardless of whether you booked yourself or through a TA.

Could someone please tell me where on the Disney cruise website it gives this information about needing photos etc. I just read through all the ‘what to do to prep for your cruise’ and it says nothing about this stuff. Thanks.

Could someone please tell me where on the Disney cruise website it gives this information about needing photos etc. I just read through all the ‘what to do to prep for your cruise’ and it says nothing about this stuff. Thanks.
There is general information on the website in the FAQ, but it is really about passports and VISAs. The details about photos and other information isn't available until you check in. People have taken notes and screen captures to help with future checkins or for others. You have plenty of time to check in and the information isn't difficult to pull together, we just help each other organize in advance to do it quickly right when it opens to get earlier PAT times.

I know you can add Disney transportation up to 3 days before your trip (or at least it was that way last year). Could I do the online check in and if I get a bad PAT or BG, call DCL and add transportation? I'd prefer the ease of a car service, but would take the bus if it got us on the ship sooner.

I read somewhere else that if you want to get one of the reservations that are only offered at 30 days out like character breakfast, princess greeting, etc. that you when checking in you should make those selections first and then go about checking in. I read that others checked in first and missed out on getting a spot at those events. Can you really reserve those things first before checking in?

I used computer, because it was easier for me to have two monitors for looking up information. But I was ready on a mobile device with the files saved and ready to upload, just in case. Sometimes the computer gets overwhelmed and then you have to use the app.

I think a key is to make sure the photos are low resolution so they are smaller files. When you save the files, check out how big they are. I was able to significantly reduce the size by taking a screen capture (Snipping Tool) and saving it as JPEG. I edited my original post to note that the file must be JPEG.
When using the app on an iphone, does the iphone automatically make the photos .jpeg when you upload? Or do I need to download them to a computer, change them to jpeg then air drop them back to my phone?

When using the app on an iphone, does the iphone automatically make the photos .jpeg when you upload? Or do I need to download them to a computer, change them to jpeg then air drop them back to my phone?

I uploaded HEIC files straight from my iPhone into the app. In fact, I just took a selfie while going through the check in process and uploaded it straight into the system my photo. Super easy!

I read somewhere else that if you want to get one of the reservations that are only offered at 30 days out like character breakfast, princess greeting, etc. that you when checking in you should make those selections first and then go about checking in. I read that others checked in first and missed out on getting a spot at those events. Can you really reserve those things first before checking in?
You can make these reservations prior to checking in I believe or, check in the fastest way possible (driving, paying with cash) and update that information after getting a PAT and selecting reservations.
I just did this 2 days ago. I took our photos using my iPhone, checked in using the app and was able to just select the images I wanted. No problems at all. Check-in was complete in 17 mins.

Yes…You need two photos.
1. Take a photo of your passport photo page. Just open the passport, lay it flat, and take a photo of the passport.
2. Also, take a head shot photo of yourself without glasses with shoulders included.
regular glasses are OK....Sunglasses are not. You eyes need to be seen in the photo.

MJ

Glasses are ok now? I've read so many posts that said you couldn't wear glasses.

Edited to UPDATE:

Ok, after not finding any printed info on this I chatted with DCL at their site. This is the response from "Baxter" a DCL rep when I asked about regular glasses.

Upon reviewing the guidelines for the Security Photo, it does state that the photo could be rejected if eyewear is worn as it can cover the eyes, or cause a glare over your eyes. For the photo, you may want to remove your glasses so that your eyes are clear.

So, it looks like they are not specifically not allowed but seems better if you don't wear them in case of glare, etc.

I do not know if anything has changed but I know people who have cruised with us a few times that have worn their glasses (not sunglasses) in the ID photo and it was accepted. Have you seen anything from DCL that officially says no glasses?

I have been trying to find something official either way at the their site without any luck.

MJ

Last edited:
What if you don't have your passport at the time of check in? My BFF is getting hers but may not have it before the check in date. Can you still get a PAT and upload that later?

What if you don't have your passport at the time of check in? My BFF is getting hers but may not have it before the check in date. Can you still get a PAT and upload that later?
You can't get to the PAT part without uploading your documents. If you don't have a passport, you can use a birth certificate instead.

Thanks for all the help here - checking in at midnight Saturday
I have photos set on my phone and computer and a printed out page with the other info

Thank You everyone for all the helpful information! I completed my registration in about 15 minutes on my iPhone. 11AM Port Arrival, Boarding group 3.
There is no way I could have done it without all the information I received from this forum!

Thank You everyone for all the helpful information! I completed my registration in about 15 minutes on my iPhone. 11AM Port Arrival, Boarding group 3.
There is no way I could have done it without all the information I received from this forum!

That is awesome to hear. We checked in about 10 days ago and it was a night where 3 DCL ships were checking in the same night. It was a disaster. Took everyone over 2 hours to check in. I was checking in 2 cabins and did not get finished until 2:30 am. Nothing would load, everyone kept getting the spinning wheel of doom and the system kept kicking everyone off or telling they were not check in after they went through everything. People were so upset. Did not leave a good taste in their mouth, especially first time cruisers.

Glad yours went well!!

MJ

That is awesome to hear. We checked in about 10 days ago and it was a night where 3 DCL ships were checking in the same night. It was a disaster.
Maybe this is a dumb question (or one with an obvious answer), but how do you know how many DCL ships are checking in on a given night? (I've got two sailings coming up this year and would like to at least know what I'll be up against, lol.)

Maybe this is a dumb question (or one with an obvious answer), but how do you know how many DCL ships are checking in on a given night? (I've got two sailings coming up this year and would like to at least know what I'll be up against, lol.)
Good question. I was wondering the same!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter