• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

What do Americans value the most?

BabyPiglet

DIS Veteran
If you had to pick 5 things that you think Americans value the most, what would they be?

1. Food.
2. Food.
3. Couches.
4. Not exercising.
5. Food.

Sorry, couldn't resist. We are the fattest country in the world after all. ;)

For real though, I don't really know. If I had to compile a list, it'd probably be something like this. (Not in order, I'm just coming up with random things here)

1. Fast. Americans, and probably society in general, like everything fast. Fast food, fast money (ATM machines), etc. A lot of people are usually in a rush (I know I'm one of them) and we don't get to slow down and enjoy thinks.
2. Money. Money makes the world go 'round. Just look at the recession we're in (despite what some politicians say :rolleyes: ) We got there because people valued money too much and spent more than they had.
3. Hard work. From the beginning of the country, to now, everyone has had to work hard to get where they're at. Nothing is handed to you, you have to work very hard to get what you want and/or need.
4. Entertainment. Hollywood is Music and Acting Capital of the world. People all over the world visit Las Vegas to have a good time. USA is also homes one of the best, if not the best, leagues for Baseball, Football, and Basketball. (Although definitely not Soccer).
5. I have no idea.

IDK if that's what you're looking for though?

oh gosh i dont want to be in charge of deciding for my whole country

but i agree with sonya's list but for number five i would put family

actually, i think we took over. lol

i dont know what americans value most, so i'll make my list for australians.
1. sport - particularly cricket and footy
2. friends and family
3. relaxing - mainly with bbq's and the beach
4. making fun of people - in a friendly way. we even make fun of our politicians and they dont care.
5. work

thats not in order

1. Food.
2. Food.
3. Couches.
4. Not exercising.
5. Food.

For real though, I don't really know. If I had to compile a list, it'd probably be something like this. (Not in order, I'm just coming up with random things here)

1. Fast. Americans, and probably society in general, like everything fast. Fast food, fast money (ATM machines), etc. A lot of people are usually in a rush (I know I'm one of them) and we don't get to slow down and enjoy thinks.
2. Money. Money makes the world go 'round. Just look at the recession we're in (despite what some politicians say :rolleyes: ) We got there because people valued money too much and spent more than they had.
3. Hard work. From the beginning of the country, to now, everyone has had to work hard to get where they're at. Nothing is handed to you, you have to work very hard to get what you want and/or need.
4. Entertainment. Hollywood is the music and Acting Capital of the world. People all over the world visit Las Vegas to have a good time. USA is also homes one of the best, if not the best, leagues for Baseball, Football, and Basketball. (Although definitely not Soccer).
5. I have no idea.

IDK if that's what you're looking for though?

:offtopic: i thought that was bollywood

♥Ariel♥;33655532 said:

that wasn't off topic?
and no, hollywood is the music/acting/ entertainment business in general capital of the world.

many people don't even know what bollywood is, thats just the indian capital. bollywood is almost like a spin off of hollywood, if i'm remembering correctly (i could be totally wrong)

money
speed
the path of least resistance (getting the most for the least amount of work)
personal happiness
fame.

i intentionally left out family and church, because frankly, those two don't even make a top fifteen. we have the highest divorce rate in the world, and while christianity is very prevenlant, it isn't treated the same way here, as in other countries who value religion.

♥Ariel♥;33655532 said:

bollywood's definitely a machine when it comes to making movies, definitely in the west hollywood's the entertainment capital.
i'd say hollywood's the entertainment capital of the world simply because it reaches more people, bollywood is pretty much strictly in india (and the indian community outside of india)

anyways, being canadian i'll give what i think are the top 5 things canadians value. (this is just MY opinion obviously in no particular order)
This is coming from someone who lives in a very urban area (toronto) so my opinion and the opinion of someone who lives in say...farm country in alberta will be vastly different

1. Money -- just the same as pretty much every country, money makes the world go round!

2. America/ American things -- we love everything american, we travel to america specifically just to get the things that we don't get here. we are extreeeemely americanized.

3. Culture/ Diversity -- toronto is so extremely diverse, i have friends from countries that i'd never even heard of when i lived in quebec. the culture and diversity is actually really amazing to me, toronto really embraces it's multiculturalism, which is awesome :thumbsup2

4. Hockey -- seriously.

and i can't think of a 5th. yikes
that's a really crappy list! haha but i feel like we're so similar to americans that out lists would be extremely similar.

money
speed
the path of least resistance (getting the most for the least amount of work)
personal happiness
fame.

i intentionally left out family and church, because frankly, those two don't even make a top fifteen. we have the highest divorce rate in the world, and while christianity is very prevenlant, it isn't treated the same way here, as in other countries who value religion.
I didn't even think of that one, that's a really good idea.

Anyway, I asked because we're doing this project in my art class where our group had to come up with the top 10 things Americans value, and then we'd decide on 10 as a class, and then we're going to do something with it.

Some of the ones I can remember are power, money, and convenience.

I didn't even think of that one, that's a really good idea.

Anyway, I asked because we're doing this project in my art class where our group had to come up with the top 10 things Americans value, and then we'd decide on 10 as a class, and then we're going to do something with it.

Some of the ones I can remember are power, money, and convenience.

if you need a comparision to illustrate that one, drive thrus are an american invention, and when mcdonalds moved to china, none of the chinese people understood drivethrus in restaurants. americans are so lazy (or rushed;)) that we cannot even enter the restaurant we're buying food at, we want it delivered to our car. (while the chinese would go through the drive through, park and bring their food in,then sit down and eat. lol)

Actually, Bollywood is the Movie Capital of the World. We did a whole quarter on it in History class last year. Hollywood is the movie capital of North America.

Back on topic...
(In no specific order)
1. Fast Food (I'm serious)
2. Family
3. Football/Baseball (The top two watched sports in America)
4. Money
5. Power

I agree with everyone's lists!
This may have to do with speed/the path of least resistence, but what about technology? I mean that's a HUGEHUGEHUGE part of...everything. xD

1. Beauty
2. Wealth
3. Superiority
4. Sports
5. Fame/Popularity

I wrote an essay about this.

"In our classroom we said that Americans value freedom/freedom of speech, protection/army, education, food, laws, technology, sports, jobs, constitution, right to bare arms, entertainment, possessions, transportation, and the US flag. "

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter