What Disney restaurants are the best value?

dlberney

Mouseketeer
DS (who is 13) and I will be going to Disney for Spring Break while hubby is deployed. We are not getting the dining plan b/c we are staying off site and getting military tickets. We will be watching our pennies while there. Where should we eat? We will be going to all four parks. He is too big for the characters, so we son't need any character meals (unless there is one that is one that we just shouldn't miss). Thanks in advance!

In AK we like Flame Tree BBQ
In HS we like Pizza Planet
In MK a lot of people say Pecos Bill I think some share food there as portions have been said to be large
EPCOT not sure folks rave on Biergarten

If on a budget and staying offsite I would also eat offsite. Disney restaurants are all overpriced

If you want a less expensive sit down place go to the Plaza at MK. I would agree that eating your breakfasts offsite is much cheaper. I would say that unless you plan to stay for the evening show at a park having a counter service lunch and then eating out of the park for dinner is much cheaper. The best price for food amount I have found has been:

AK: Yak and Yeti Counter service(you can get an entree with rice and share it between a couple of people so you could get a couple of things to share), Flame Tree BBQ also has some large portions but they are a little more expensive then the other

Epcot: The bakery in France has many of the same entrees as Chef's but for a less expensive price, also sharing a pizza in Italy can be a less expensive option for a sit down meal, Sunshine seasons has meals that are big enough for 2 not huge eaters to share- in some of the countries I can get a good kids counter service meal and be pretty satisfied as an adult.

MK: Plaza is definately the least expensive sit down place, we really like the Wave at the Contemporary resort as well for a less expensive lunch sit down option. If you are doing 2 meals here then do a sit down for lunch and a counter service for dinner- they don't change prices with the meal changeover. Any of the places with a toppings bar can add to your meal with some vegies. Also you can always order an entree for each person but only 1-2 sides for everyone to share to make your meals less expensive- this work everywhere.

DHS- Sci-Fi is the least expensive sit down meal, I rarely eat counter service here so I can't make any recommendations but again like I mentioned with the MK decide if you really need a side for everyone.

Also you can always ask for a cup of water for each person when ordering for free.

How do you define "Best Value"?
Lowest cost? Delicious food? Great Entertainment? Awesome atmosphere? Combination of all? Do you want Table Service or Counter Service only?
Disney dining is very expensive. It is more expensive than what you will pay for off site. Counter service is clearly cheaper than table service, for the most part.

For cheapest way to eat, I would suggest a Counter Service lunch in the park of the day followed by an off site evening meal. That won't work though if you want to stay for night time entertainment. Then I guess for cheapest, you would need to do 2 CS meals at the park.
The Plaza Restaurant in the MK is a nice TS sandwich shop which is only a little more than the most expensive CS. It is nice to sit and be waited on and the sandwiches and fries are very good.
Cosmic Ray's Starlight Café, in the MK, has a chicken and ribs combo meal after 4 that is a good deal.
The chicken and rib combo at Flametree Barbeque in the AK is also a big meal.
In Epcot, the Tangerine Café in WS has a Sharma Platter that is also large and very good.
We always eat at 50's Prime Time Café in DHS. Definitely large portions, but not cheap
Good Luck

How do you define "Best Value"?
Lowest cost? Delicious food? Great Entertainment? Awesome atmosphere? Combination of all? Do you want Table Service or Counter Service only?
Disney dining is very expensive. It is more expensive than what you will pay for off site. Counter service is clearly cheaper than table service, for the most part.

For cheapest way to eat, I would suggest a Counter Service lunch in the park of the day followed by an off site evening meal. That won't work though if you want to stay for night time entertainment. Then I guess for cheapest, you would need to do 2 CS meals at the park.
The Plaza Restaurant in the MK is a nice TS sandwich shop which is only a little more than the most expensive CS. It is nice to sit and be waited on and the sandwiches and fries are very good.
Cosmic Ray's Starlight Café, in the MK, has a chicken and ribs combo meal after 4 that is a good deal.
The chicken and rib combo at Flametree Barbeque in the AK is also a big meal.
In Epcot, the Tangerine Café in WS has a Sharma Platter that is also large and very good.
We always eat at 50's Prime Time Café in DHS. Definitely large portions, but not cheap
Good Luck

I guess by value I mean something that is going to fill up a growing 13 year old and not have him starving again in 2 hours! I know, good luck with that, right? :lmao: Anyway, thank you for all the suggestions! I have gotten a lot of great ideas from the board and am budgeting accordingly. :rolleyes: We will probably do Pizza Planet and 50's Prime Time Cafe at HS, Yak and Yeti at AK (then maybe Downtown Disney for dinner), the prix fixe lunch at France in Epcot, not sure about dinner, and Pecos Bill or the Wave and Starlight Cafe at MK. That is just a guess for now, though. I'm going to keep watching the boards for more ideas!
By the way, I showed him the pics of the Kitchen Sink and he is begging me to get it! Umm, I don't think so!:laughing:

I have 13 yr old twin boys. I asked them what they would recommend for a filling meal. They like BOG for lunch in MK. The CS in Mexico has big portions, and is very filling. They also like Yak & Yeti CS and Flametree BBQ. Hollywood Studios is a little tricky. Maybe Fairfax Fair. Their very favorite is Ohana for dinner. Can be pricey, but it's a ton of food

Trails End ( @ fort wilderness) has great breakfast & dinner buffets for a good price. Lots of really great food to fill up a 13 yr. old!

Your son might enjoy the atmosphere of the campground it a fun place to visit even if you aren't staying there!

Have a great trip.
colleen

The food court at Port Orleans FQ has really good fried chicken and pot roast. I believe it is only available in the evening. It is a ton of food that I think 2 people could share and it would leave room for a desert.

Seconding the combo platters at Tangierine Cafe. They are huge. My 15yo dd and I usually share because neither of us can finish one on our own.

You can check out prices on the WDW website or at allears.net; If you are staying at POP they have a nice food court that's reasonable. I'm sure all the resorts have good CS. The fish shop at UK in Epcot as well as Columbia Harbor House in MK are pretty good. There is a lot of variety at Sunshine Seasons at Epcot and I enjoy the Kringla bakery at Norway in Epcot as well. Starring Rolls Café at HS has huge sandwiches you may be able to share. And be sure to thank your husband for all he does to keep us safe. I'll say a prayer for him.

The term 'best value' could mean many different things.

The place to stuff your gullet with the most food for the least cost is probably a Trail's End buffet.

If on a budget and staying offsite I would also eat offsite. Disney restaurants are all overpriced

Of course, the drawback is that this would involve an awful lot of traveling back and forth. You'd lose so much time in the parks.

For me, I always eat breakfast in the room (a big time and money saver). Sometimes if you eat a late breakfast, you can treat it as "brunch" then skip straight to dinner (bypassing having to pay for a lunch).

Another strategy is to split meals (like the chicken and ribs at Cosmic Ray's); skip the fries for a combo meal (saves a couple of bucks); or ordering a kids meal for an adult (since the adult portions are often so big).

And I've found Earl of Sandwich very reasonably priced. You get a pretty big sandwich for around $7.

We thought Olivia's Cafe at Old Key West was a good deal. We ate breakfast there and loved it. The prices are about the same as the other TS breakfasts at deluxe resorts, but the portions at Olivia's were huge!

I had the build your own omelet, which was $11.99 - but you can choose ALL the toppings you want (I chose at least 2 meats and quite a few veggies), plus a fruit cup (I subbed those for the potatoes), and 4 slices of whole wheat toast. Pretty good amount of food for the price!

You can check out prices on the WDW website or at allears.net; If you are staying at POP they have a nice food court that's reasonable. I'm sure all the resorts have good CS. The fish shop at UK in Epcot as well as Columbia Harbor House in MK are pretty good. There is a lot of variety at Sunshine Seasons at Epcot and I enjoy the Kringla bakery at Norway in Epcot as well. Starring Rolls Café at HS has huge sandwiches you may be able to share. And be sure to thank your husband for all he does to keep us safe. I'll say a prayer for him.

Thank you all for the suggestions, and thank you, The Great Oz, for your kind words. Hubby was supposed to leave yesterday….we had our tearful goodbyes and hugs, he took DS to school one last time, then we had a massive snowstorm here and the trip got postponed a day! I was very thankful to have him at home one more night (he leaves today). He hates to leave, but he loves his job and DS idolizes him. DS now wants to go into the Air Force, too. Makes a mom proud. :love:

MK-The Plaza for TS or Pecos Bills
EC-Sunshine Seasons, Electric Umbrella, Lotus Blossom
AK-Flame Tree BBQ, Yak n Yeti counter service
HS-50's Prime Time, Backlot express
Fort Wilderness-Breakfast or dinner buffet at Trails End!

Our two cents

If you're offsite, you can really save a lot of money by eating offsite. A few suggestions: At Crossroads Plaza (which is at the end of Hotel Plaza Blvd...basically exiting Downtown Disney): Sweet Tomatoes, Fuddruckers, Chevy's and more (+ fast food: Taco Bell, McDonalds). There's also a Subway at Palm Parkway and Apopka Vineland Rd. (SR-535, if leaving Downtown Disney area towards the north, make a left at Crossroads Plaza and go up one more light). That's always good for a $5 sandwich you can split (or not). On Palm Parkway, there's a Cici's which has cheap pizza.

Also, if you're in Downtown Disney, a good place to go is Earl of Sandwich, that has really good sandwiches for $6.

There's plenty more and there have already been some good suggestions for onsite...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter