What did your 26 y/o child do when they were dropped from your health plan?

When I turned 26 I had a full time job with benefits. When I went freelance a few years later, I bought insurance through the ACA. Then I went to grad school and had insurance through there. Now I'm about to graduate with a job with insurance.

I turned 26 in grad school. The school provided health insurance as part of the financial package. My sister had a full time job by then, but she ended up paying more for less coverage.

Definitely echoing other posters- check with your current health insurance. My employer provides coverage for eligible dependents with disabilities as long as they were on their parents’ insurance before 26.

ACA would be the best choice, and given OPs circumstances, probably would be free with subsidies.
Just found out my neighbors........who retired and are living off savings and not drawing Social Security yet......so have almost zero income....with subsidies are paying $3 a month each for full coverage.

My kids were both late bloomers, but both were working full time with benefits by age 26.

ACA would be the best choice, and given OPs circumstances, probably would be free with subsidies.
Just found out my neighbors........who retired and are living off savings and not drawing Social Security yet......so have almost zero income....with subsidies are paying $3 a month each for full coverage.

My kids were both late bloomers, but both were working full time with benefits by age 26.

If her state has it ........... ours does not so not an option.

I'm confused. What state doesn't have the Affordable Healthcare act? It's a federal program. Some states like California opted to set up their own programs, but it is a national program

Add me to the confused list - ACA (Affordable Care Act) is a federal statute. Perhaps each state offers it a different way though? But they have to offer coverage.

In MA we have MassHealth. DD26 got it when she aged off my plan.

I'm confused. What state doesn't have the Affordable Healthcare act? It's a federal program. Some states like California opted to set up their own programs, but it is a national program
Add me to the confused list - ACA (Affordable Care Act) is a federal statute. Perhaps each state offers it a different way though? But they have to offer coverage.

In MA we have MassHealth. DD26 got it when she aged off my plan.

I should have been clearer on my post, yes she can get Marketplace insurance but if her state does not fund the reduced ACA rates then the option of $3 is not there. Georgia does not want the money unless they can use it how they want ... and that is not using it to fund ACA. Therefore they do not accept federal money that would reduce insurance costs in ACA.

It is complicated but states do not have to accept the funds to fund the program. Georgia has for YEARS refused to accept any expanded federal funding that would have expanded Medicaid medical benefits or the Medicaid benefits to expand services for the disabled. Then they refused the money for ACA which would be used to reduce rates.

So when you go on to the federal Health.gov page to look for insurance and you put in all your information, it will offer you a variety of insurances at full price telling you do not qualify for reduced rates ... due to no ACA funding, because there is none. So yes there is insurance but it's just regular Marketplace insurance you will pay full price for. So when my DS was in school and even making less than $8,000 per year, he couldn't get any break on insurance. One year the best he could do was $2400 a year, out of his $8,000 salary, and that was catastrophic.

Georgia does offer PeachCare which is an insurance for low income children.

As of last year there are 14 states who refused the federal funding for ACA, so they do not offer reduced rates. So if you are paying regular rates then you really aren't getting ACA, you could get those rates anyway.

I should have been clearer on my post, yes she can get Marketplace insurance but if her state does not fund the reduced ACA rates then the option of $3 is not there. Georgia does not want the money unless they can use it how they want ... and that is not using it to fund ACA. Therefore they do not accept federal money that would reduce insurance costs in ACA.

It is complicated but states do not have to accept the funds to fund the program. Georgia has for YEARS refused to accept any expanded federal funding that would have expanded Medicaid medical benefits or the Medicaid benefits to expand services for the disabled. Then they refused the money for ACA which would be used to reduce rates.

So when you go on to the federal Health.gov page to look for insurance and you put in all your information, it will offer you a variety of insurances at full price telling you do not qualify for reduced rates ... due to no ACA funding, because there is none. So yes there is insurance but it's just regular Marketplace insurance you will pay full price for. So when my DS was in school and even making less than $8,000 per year, he couldn't get any break on insurance. One year the best he could do was $2400 a year, out of his $8,000 salary, and that was catastrophic.

Georgia does offer PeachCare which is an insurance for low income children.

As of last year there are 14 states who refused the federal funding for ACA, so they do not offer reduced rates. So if you are paying regular rates then you really aren't getting ACA, you could get those rates anyway.

Got it

Sucks to live in one of those 14 states! My daughter gets premium health insurance for free. (well, free on her part) Seems silly to have your residents pay taxes to the federal government and then refuse to take some of it back to help your residents. That money is just going to someone else!

OP, is there some reason why your son isn't applying for SSI? His diagnosis would make him eligible.

My son has ADHD and Asperger's and I'm worried about this for him as well. He is 17 and receiving SSI right now, but he has already informed me that he will not be applying as an adult. My employer doesn't offer affordable FAMILY coverage, only individual. A family plan would cost me $1200/month so that's not an option.

I know there are SS attorneys, do they help with this stuff too?

I learn so much on the Dis

I think Starbucks offers insurance don't they? Might be a better job option for him. Best wishes!

I know there are SS attorneys, do they help with this stuff too?

yes they do-and they cannot charge you out of pocket. they are only paid if ss is approved at which time the amount they receive is capped by ss rules (to a percentage of back benefits).

one other resource-check with your local dshs b/c some have what are called 'igar' (information, guidance and referral) staff who can point you in the direction of other free help in pursuing either ssi/medicaid or other resources (the state i worked in had designated staff who helped disabled individuals and their families apply and navigate the ssi application process while referring them to interim health care and other resources).

I think Starbucks offers insurance don't they? Might be a better job option for him. Best wishes!
They do offer it, but the person has to get a set minimum of hours in during a month on a regular basis to qualify and keep it. Our son has just turned 26 (eek) so we are in the same boat. Mine will cover him until the 19th of this month, and hubs stopped on the first. Right now with the covid19 thing, he is not getting the minimum hours needed to qualify for their insurance. And, his store was closed since it was considered a 'mall' store even though it is actually a stand alone store at a big shopping center. Right now he is dependent on catching hours here and there around our city and a small town about ten miles north of us. Ugh! As it is, with this covid19 thing it just killed his chances of getting gastric bypass surgery. He has spent the last year jumping through hoops to qualify, then a week or two just before his insurance ended, any 'elective' surgeries were cancelled in the state. Ugh! So looking at something else there now.... I feel for all of you.
But, also for those with kids, adult kids too who have things like epilepsy and such, yes do look into the disability thing. Our daughter is 30 and since she was considered disabled before she turned of age, she qualifies for our insurance for life pretty much (ours, not hers) After that she would have to do medicare, but now she is under ours with no problems. But, if your kid is approaching 26 get the testing done now! It can take a while to jump through the disability determination hoops! Hugs all!

I would check with your state Medicaid. All of my children except "the baby" had jobs right out of college. One teacher, one state police officer, and one tank fabricator. Our youngest daughter actually is a freelance web designer and she recently got a job with a huge corporation in marketing. She was on our insurance until her probationary period was over.

I have Asperger's and ADHD and have been on SSI since I was 18 I am now 34. Before I turned 18 my mom had me on her policy through work. I know that someone said he could possibly stay on your policy with his diagnosis which is possibly true but you have to consider cost. I could have stayed on my mom's policy but there was no way she could have afforded me to.

ARGH!!! We just received notification that my son's BCBS coverage has DOUBLED, starting April 30, so it's now over $9,000/year. I've sent a message, because I feel like they gave me a bait-and-switch, waiting for his open enrollment time to end and then doubling the cost.

ARGH!!! We just received notification that my son's BCBS coverage has DOUBLED, starting April 30, so it's now over $9,000/year. I've sent a message, because I feel like they gave me a bait-and-switch, waiting for his open enrollment time to end and then doubling the cost.

Okay, I need to go on record and say this is NOT what happened. For some reason, even though it was an automatic draft, BSBS didn't pull it out on March 30. The invoice is for the March 30 and April 30 payments. No explanation from BCBS as to WHY they didn't draft it -- it's set up correctly and we had plenty in the account to cover it. Bizarre.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter