• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

What did you seriously hate as a child?

Going to pancake restaurants with smoking. The combo of the smells of maple syrup and cigarette smoke made me soooo sick to my stomach! I hated vacations because they invariably involved that ALONG WITH long drives!

:crowded: All the drop-in guests that were constantly in our home, often staying overnight and displacing me from my bed. :( I'm ashamed of those feelings now...I was such a brat. My parents were extremely generous and hospitable. It was a wonderful quality for them to model and I do my best now to honor them by being mindfully similar, whenever I can.

The existential fear that life is a futile existence wrought with the fruitless pursuit of working just to keep living, just to keep working...a vicious cycle of predictability which we would be unable to escape, just like the soft light from a single candle against an uncompromising black hole. I also hated broccoli.

I hated being forced to kiss all my relatives on the lips! Super creepy, but I guess that was an Irish traditional greeting? I never made my kids kiss anybody. Oddly, my brother-in-law used to greet me that way too at first, but I managed to convert that to a hug instead.

Having to have be in bed by 8 pm in the summer when I could hear all the other neighborhood kids were still out playing and the sun wasn't even down yet..

parents going to one of their friend's homes to visit socially and me being parked in a family room or spare bedroom for hours. i was the late in life kid so none of their friends had minor children by the time i was dragged along to these so it was 'stay put, accept politely whatever you are offered to eat/drink, watch tv or do a puzzle, don't bother the grownups' (would have loved to have taken a book but that was deemed 'rude'). my mom would proudly proclaim about how i was never left with a babysitter my entire childhood-i wish they had on those looooooooooong evenings/weekend days.

I hated long car trips. My hippy-dippy dad would pack the giant, canvas tent, we’d drive hours and hours, stop, set up tent, sleep, take down tent, drive for hours … repeat. Now when I travel, no tent EVER, and I stay in one hotel the entire trip (and I fly)

Having to have be in bed by 8 pm in the summer when I could hear all the other neighborhood kids were still out playing and the sun wasn't even down yet..

you just made me flashback to an old poem-

Bed in Summer by Robert Louis Stevenson

In winter I get up at night
And dress by yellow candlelight
In summer, quite the other way,
I have to go to bed by day.

I have to go to bed and see
The birds still hopping on the tree,
Or hear the grown-up people's feet
Still going past me in the street.

And does it not seem hard to you,
When all the sky is clear and blue,
And I should like so much to play,
To have to go to bed by day?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter